Author Topic: Emerging Narratives  (Read 6312 times)

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
I like it. Might I provide a few critiques:

Out beyond the "three-mile" limit of their
shores is traditionally viewed as international waters.
Wikipedia says it's 12 nautical miles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_waters, but maybe "three-mile" has connotations I'm not aware of.

But what of the etherial constructs of cryptospace?
Feels very odd to mention anything reminiscent of Ethereum...

In Free Space, your wealth is all in your head.
This is a cool concept, but it sounds exactly like you're saying "your wealth is all imaginary," which may not be the message you're trying to convey.

Just thought I'd be "that guy" and come out swinging with the pedantic criticism. :)

It used to be the three mile limit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-mile_limit) before it became the 12 mile limit in 1982 (which makes my point about continuing government encroachment and receding freedom.)

e·the·re·al adj. 1. Characterized by lightness and insubstantiality; intangible.

This is known as "ghosting" the competition.  Ghosting is proposal writing jargon for showing the deficiencies in your competitors' solutions without calling your competitors by name.

Naturally, no such meaning could have possibly been intended when I wrote this in Newsletter 2.   This is merely a delightful coincidence.

I like the idea of being able to swim across the Rio Grande with nothing but my Keyhotee brain wallet between my ears.

:)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Bitcoin has opened a portal to Free Space - a land of opportunity.

Bitcoin is just a digital currency worth billions. But the technology behind it is beyond the control of any government on the planet. There is no central point where tyranny can seduce or coerce the people who have learned to use it. Instead they interact peer to peer, with no corruptible middlemen. Bitcoin just works. And it has paved our way to digital freedom. A next generation Internet.

In Free Space, no one can read your mail.
In Free Space, no one can track your purchases.
In Free Space, no one can steal your identity.
In Free Space, no one can inflate away your savings.
In Free Space, no one can confiscate your wealth.

Anyone able to infringe on even one of these freedoms has too much power.
The tools needed to defend Free Space are emerging, but the arms race will probably never end.

+5%

Offline CLains

• View Profile
Ethereum is going with a distinct narrative as well,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMBtKMZYdN8

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
I like it. Might I provide a few critiques:

Out beyond the "three-mile" limit of their
shores is traditionally viewed as international waters.
Wikipedia says it's 12 nautical miles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_waters, but maybe "three-mile" has connotations I'm not aware of.

But what of the etherial constructs of cryptospace?
Feels very odd to mention anything reminiscent of Ethereum...

This is a cool concept, but it sounds exactly like you're saying "your wealth is all imaginary," which may not be the message you're trying to convey.

Just thought I'd be "that guy" and come out swinging with the pedantic criticism. :)
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Narrative circa Newsletter 2...

Free Space - The Ever-Receding Frontier

The jurisdiction of governments has always been defined by the land
mass they control by force. Out beyond the "three-mile" limit of their
shores is traditionally viewed as international waters. No government
has sovereignty out there, though many have tried to exert such control.
Their success has been limited to their ability to project power, whether
they have an internationally recognized right to do so or not.

We view the Internet as lying in international waters as well.

Governments and nefarious enterprises try to exert power by exploiting items of value that
must pass through their control or by seducing or coercing service providers that must
themselves remain exposed in the physical world. But what of the etherial constructs of cryptospace?
Ghost ships that don’t show up on any earthy radar and have no ports of call where they
can be interdicted? Ships with crypto-graphical cloaking devices that can carry their cargo
across the digital high seas with impunity, immune while pirates and tyrants huff and puff in
frustration. Many will want to control this new frontier. But unlike the past frontiers of
freedom, this time they will fail.

When Daniel Boone and Davy Crocket strode into the American Old West they were entering the
Free Space frontier of their day. But soon “civilization” began to encroach and their offspring
fled further West. The Eagles once lamented, “there is no more new frontier, we have got to
make it here”. We disagree. In Free Space, freedom can still flourish - by design.

Bitcoin has opened a portal to Free Space - a land of opportunity.

Bitcoin is just a digital currency worth billions. But the technology behind it is beyond the control of
any government on the planet. There is no central point where tyranny can seduce or coerce the people
who have learned to use it. Instead they interact peer to peer, with no corruptible middlemen. Bitcoin
just works. And it has paved our way to digital freedom. A next generation Internet.

In Free Space, no one can read your mail.
In Free Space, no one can track your purchases.
In Free Space, no one can steal your identity.
In Free Space, no one can inflate away your savings.
In Free Space, no one can confiscate your wealth.

Anyone able to infringe on even one of these freedoms has too much power.
The tools needed to defend Free Space are emerging, but the arms race will probably never end.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:44:20 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

bitbro

IMO The zeitgeist is really being driven by an innovation that allows value creation and savings through efficiency

It won't be long until we move into a phase of social and fiscal osmosis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:59:17 pm by bitbro »

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
I am sure that the bigger narratives contain something everyone (not liberal, not socialized in networks/internet) can value. That might be democrary, empowering people, transparency, anti corruption, fighting those with power and money that got that money/power through in-transparency and corruption. Those are overlaping narratives between the crypto community and the current mainstream.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
Usually with emerging narratives, it is not always clear during progress what the underlying principles and concepts are. It would give us an edge to understand in the most beautiful, simple and unified way what's driving the zeitgeist.

For me it really clicked when I realized that both the typical anti-capitalists and anti-government sentiments can be united against centralization of power. I suspect there are many more such insights to be had, and ensuring rhetoric replicates at insane speeds.

Offline davidpbrown

What are the emerging narratives in this space?

The removal of central authority.

+decentralised +autonomous +consensuses

It goes beyond [Privacy, free information, voluntarism and decentralization]; it's empowering people; it's enabling the development of democracy and supporting liberal values - it's progress. The ability of those with existing power and wealth to frustrate and control others, is the dominate problem that most people aren't aware of because they haven't had an alternative to make that obvious.. alternates incoming.
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline bytemaster

Wow I could swear we are all on the same playbook.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
New NXT video got me thinking: What are the emerging narratives in this space?

Anonymous, KimDotKom, Assange, Antonopoulos, TPB, The Pirate Party, Snowden ..

Privacy, free information, voluntarism and decentralization?