Author Topic: DNS design decisions: 50m shares, one TLD (.p2p), DNS "family parent"  (Read 10447 times)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
If other TLD's are in demand, it will be rather easy to create another chain once the first is done. ".coin" and ".dac" might have more specific business logic than .p2p, it will give people a chance to experiment with what works while letting us focus on rallying behind "THE peer-to-peer domain"
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
The problem is .dac or .coin are really specific, so while they are better in each specific utility they are not better in all cases.  because Nikolai specified he wants a single TLD, I think we need to pick something that can be applied to any circumstance like .p2p which defines the tranmission method rather than being suggestive of the content contained therin.

Open to other suggestions but I think they need to be non-specific so .coin and .dac are out.

+5%

I'd go with .p2p or .ptp, or possibly something even more generic, but not more specific.

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
The problem is .dac or .coin are really specific, so while they are better in each specific utility they are not better in all cases.  because Nikolai specified he wants a single TLD, I think we need to pick something that can be applied to any circumstance like .p2p which defines the tranmission method rather than being suggestive of the content contained therin.

Open to other suggestions but I think they need to be non-specific so .coin and .dac are out.
Email me at adam@letstalkbitcoin.com

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
Email me at adam@letstalkbitcoin.com

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Why only one TLD?

There is a pretty good discussion here you might want to read first: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=3652.0

The short answer is, if you look at what distinct TLDs actually do in real life, it's to establish different *rulesets* for how the namespace is managed. The fact that it can be used to avoid name collisions is a *secondary effect* and an artifact of how traditional DNS is structured. AAPL.com and AAPL.org aren't just avoiding a collision - AAPL.org is utilizing the fact that it won't get sued on the .org namespace, while it would on the .com namespace. Sure you can make it so that two TLDs use the same ruleset and are on the same blockchain, but then the only thing that it accomplishes is to make an aesthetic difference between typing "yoursite-org / yoursite-com" and "yoursite.org / yoursite.com". One blockchain is one namespace, no matter how you slice it or mask it.

So the idea is, future DNS derivatives who want to have different rulesets for their namespace, or who want to prove me wrong and show how people are just willing to avoid collisions (would you register "yourname.dac" if "yourname.p2p" is registered and popular? maybe) can launch a DNS derivative a la BTS X.

So .key might have a ruleset that fits the supply/demand characteristic of having a namespace for public keys better than domainshares.

.intr could be the first namespace to support a full character set.

There might be another blockchain that handles migrating .com, .org, etc onto a blockchain.

Why .p2p?

Here were the good suggestion, IMO:
* .bts
* .dac
* .blk
* .we
* .p2p
* .key
* .dom

I don't want to do .bts or .dac because I find them slightly more awkward to say than .p2p, and I have a really strong aversion to people trying to sell me stuff (I know that's not what's happening, but I can't help but think .bts -> "BTS STANDS FOR BUY BITSHARES(tm)"). Furthermore I think .p2p does a much better job of marketing the advantages of a blockchain-based TLD than the others - people will instantly recognize what's up versus just thinking it's another TLD.

.key shouldn't be wasted on anything other than a namespace designed specifically for keys.

.we is risky because all two-letter TLDs are reserved by ICANN for country codes.

.blk is ok but worse than .p2p, fewer people know what a blockchain is

.dom is ok, maybe the first derivative with different namespace rules can grab it

50,000,000 shares:
It's just aesthetics. Open to alternatives.

I request a .coin domain. I predict that in the future we will all have our own coins and will need this domain so that people can search for our coin.

So for example toast.coin, luckybit.coin, etc. Can we have that feature?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline toast

• View Profile
Can we reserve alternative TLDs and redirect to p2p?
I'm thinking pwp and ptp due to the frustrating delay of typing numbers on most mobile keyboards.

We're bypassing the existing DNS system so there's nothing to "reserve" from anyone. We could build it into our access tools though, I think .ptp wouldn't be a bad idea.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline bobmaloney

Can we reserve alternative TLDs and redirect to p2p?
I'm thinking pwp and ptp due to the frustrating delay of typing numbers on most mobile keyboards.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I am sure this issue will be solved once the chain is released and media catch the idea

Offline toast

• View Profile
Just did a google for ".p2p" and noticed that there is a post describing a .p2p TLD proposal last modified in 2011 that is #1 on google, whereas this thread is like #5 and http://dotp2p.io is not even on the first page. Flow, SEO juice! Also be sure to mentioned dotp2p.io *where it is natural to do so* elsewhere on the internet.

Offline toast

• View Profile
I replied in the other forum, but don't know if that one is closed and continued here, so I'll restate my question again.

Why do we even need an extension? Especially if we can have only a single extension anyway, does that not equal not needing one at all?

If we need a 3 character reference for this name space, would it not be more logical to append it to www, so we get something like www.bts.YourURLHere?

The short answer is, that's just not how it works. WWW is not the top level, it's a subdomain under bts.org which is registered on the .org TLD. There will be sites that could do something like xxxxx.dot-p2p.org and display xxxxx.p2p. The browser extension is if you want to skip the default name resolution your browser does via centralized DNS and look up the IP directly on the blockchain or a blockchain host.

Offline JoeyD

I replied in the other forum, but don't know if that one is closed and continued here, so I'll restate my question again.

Why do we even need an extension? Especially if we can have only a single extension anyway, does that not equal not needing one at all?

If we need a 3 character reference for this name space, would it not be more logical to append it to www, so we get something like www.bts.YourURLHere?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:11:41 am by JoeyD »

Offline cultofjosh

• View Profile
If you can't say it on a phone call without clarification, it's not a great choice IMHO. IE, is it .p2p or .ptwop? While this wouldn't be a real issue with early adopters and users of this forum, I still see people try to put a .com at the end of a TLD they don't recognize. Left up to me, I would definitely avoid using a number in there.

Limiting myself to the already existing list of suggestions, I like .dom the best. Then again, rhyming with .com might be a concern. For .dac, is it .dac, .dak, or .dack

Offline CWEvans

• View Profile
Considering that Dan coined the term DAC and that it is widely used by people, many of whom are unfamiliar with BitShares, I'd vote for homesteading .dac .

Although most everyone here understands what true p2p means, that term has been around for many years, and it often is used to refer to systems that are p2bottleneck2p. It's lost its purity through misuse.

Offline ebit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: ebit
telegram:ebit521
https://weibo.com/ebiter