Author Topic: Should BitShares DNS reserve 10% of the shares to register a new gTLD?  (Read 2286 times)

Offline CWEvans

• View Profile
Perhaps a DNS derivative could try that business model.

That would be an interesting experiment.  It'd be a riot, if we could get the supporters of other cryptocurrency systems to clone BTS DNS to raise funds to register .doge, .ether, .prime, .nxt, etc. with ICANN.

The first chain and TLD are to demonstrate it's irrelevant now. It's a one-click browser extension, you get it in 10 seconds when you first visit the "wtf is .p2p" landing page.

This experiment is especially intriguing. A couple decades ago, if you didn't have a .com URL, you were as pathetic as those poor sods who couldn't get proper 1-800 telephone numbers. Now, we register .co, .fm, .in, .ws, etc. without a second thought, and 1-866, 1-888, etc. no longer carry a second-class stigma.

It will be interesting to see if the third phase of this is an increasing willingness on the parts of users to install the browser extension for .p2p.

The best thing we could get from ICANN is for them to acknowledge .p2p by name specifically, then nobody would try to take the name since it's magically more official

Most likely, that's what the $200K TLD application fee is all about. They're unlikely to give that kind of recognition away for free.

I tell my students that two rich veins for business ideas are branding commodities on the one hand ("It's not just rice. It's Uncle Bob's Local Organic Rice!") and breaking someone else's monopoly on the other hand (e.g., selling generators to people in areas with very expensive electricity).

BTS DNS is an example of the latter.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
I do *not* want to pay 200k for unnecessary entanglements! Perhaps a DNS derivative could try that business model. The first chain and TLD are to demonstrate it's irrelevant now. It's a one-click browser extension, you get it in 10 seconds when you first visit the "wtf is .p2p" landing page.

The best thing we could get from ICANN is for them to acknowledge .p2p by name specifically, then nobody would try to take the name since it's magically more official
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline bytemaster

Apparently it costs at least $200K to register a TLD and the general idea is to build a business selling domains under these TLDs.  If I wanted to start a business with one of these TLDs I think using BitShares DNS as the backend would be the best possible road to profits.  Leaving 10% or so of the shares to the company that manages the TLD could help fund the growth and development of the DAC. 

http://dottba.com/gtld-application-fees-and-clarifying-questions/

The only challenge is that in theory the process of mapping BitShares DNS names to the gTLD could be overruled by government decree.  It may be better to teach people to use systems that do not depend upon the legacy system at all.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.