Author Topic: Mini Guide to Run Multiple Instance of ProtoShares for Windows  (Read 6646 times)

Offline ryen123

• View Profile
Re: Mini Guide to Run Multiple Instance of ProtoShares for Windows
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 12:59:29 pm »
I want to run 2 instances. I did all the steps, but when I tried to launch the Protoshares client,  it only runs as the normal one. How can I run the second one?

To run a second instance

protoshares-qt.exe -port=xxxx -datadir=C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\ProtoShares2
Latest by GawMiners | DigitalOcean Sign-Up Receive $10 Credit
Singapore P2Pool: DarkCoin

Offline proto13

• View Profile
Re: Mini Guide to Run Multiple Instance of ProtoShares for Windows
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 08:33:35 am »
I want to run 2 instances. I did all the steps, but when I tried to launch the Protoshares client,  it only runs as the normal one. How can I run the second one?

Offline ryen123

• View Profile
Mini Guide to Run Multiple Instance of ProtoShares for Windows
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 04:34:11 am »
This is just a slightly more detailed mini guide to run multiple instances of ProtoShare Client in windows. Credits to FreeTrade who posted the how-to in https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=325261.0.

Example of ProtoShare client location
-------------------------------------
C:\Program Files (x86)\ProtoShares

Default data directory location
-------------------------------
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\ProtoShares

Steps
-----
1) First create a protoshares.conf file. Create a new .txt file in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\ProtoShares and rename to protoshares.conf

Edit protoshares.conf with notepad and insert the following without the (description):

port=3888         (Default protoshare port)
gen=1            (Gen=1 will cause the client to start mining upon launch)
genproclimit=x      (x is the max number of threads with win32 client; Also ram dependent)

2) Next I duplicated C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\ProtoShares directory and created C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\ProtoShares2, so now I have two data directories:

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\ProtoShares
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\ProtoShares2

I deleted the wallet from ProtoShares2 directory because I wanted a separate wallet. Inside ProtoShares2 directory, edit protoshares.conf with notepad:

port=xxxx         <= Must change this to another port address e.g. 3889
gen=1           
genproclimit=x

3) To launch ProtoShares Client:

1st Instance - Execute "C:\Program Files (x86)\ProtoShares\protoshares-qt.exe"   (As normal just double-click)
2nd Instance - Execute "C:\Program Files (x86)\ProtoShares\protoshares-qt.exe -port=xxxx -datadir=C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\ProtoShares2"

You can use a shortcut or .bat file to launch the 2nd Instance.

Hope you find this useful. Good luck.
Latest by GawMiners | DigitalOcean Sign-Up Receive $10 Credit
Singapore P2Pool: DarkCoin