Author Topic: Is there merit to developing a "Blockchain Migration Path/Strategy"?  (Read 2638 times)

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Interesting idea! But if you tell a community that there coin is flawed and they would get 0.1% of AGS/PTS for that they might feel insulted because they still believe in their coin otherwise they would be part of that community anymore. Also if it is a community of a flawed/ pointless coin then you get a lot of people to the Bitshares community that have a flawed understanding of technology and / or economy.

You're right that is the challenge, not so much technical but rather: who and how to approach prospects without creating a hostile environment. The criteria for selecting acquisition candidates and presenting the value proposition to them is job 1. That coupled with a friendly face and a closer...

But, having said that, what's to stop us from launching say a "DOGE DAC" offering BitShareDOGE shares at a very favorable ratio to all those paying with DOGE. In essence pulling off a de-facto  hostile takeover. Oh, and of course honoring the AGS/PTS social contract.

Kah Ching !

I think DODGE is a great example here. Dodge (almost) only gets value form his (young and big) user base and the fact that these users actually use it to (tipping).  BTS Dodge (I guess you mean a separate chain and not an asset on BTS X) would be just a blank Tapos coin (or whatever Notary style model is now planed) coin filled with 80% Dodge coin users (20 to ASG/PTS and 80% can only be bought with Dodge) or others that buy Dodge to buy into BTS Dodge. That is not the same community with its own culture, structure etc... And it would be kind of bad ass / hostile... Not sure.. But a lot of things worty thinking of :)

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Interesting idea! But if you tell a community that there coin is flawed and they would get 0.1% of AGS/PTS for that they might feel insulted because they still believe in their coin otherwise they would be part of that community anymore. Also if it is a community of a flawed/ pointless coin then you get a lot of people to the Bitshares community that have a flawed understanding of technology and / or economy.

You're right that is the challenge, not so much technical but rather: who and how to approach prospects without creating a hostile environment. The criteria for selecting acquisition candidates and presenting the value proposition to them is job 1. That coupled with a friendly face and a closer...

But, having said that, what's to stop us from launching say a "DOGE DAC" offering BitShareDOGE shares at a very favorable ratio to all those paying with DOGE. In essence pulling off a de-facto  hostile takeover. Oh, and of course honoring the AGS/PTS social contract.

Kah Ching !

Because we are the good guys, no?

Now if they wanted to consider a friendly merger, then everybody would benefit.

Keep in mind, all of these (successful) coins are successful because they have the knack of appealing to a group of people.  You want them to continue doing what they are doing that appeals to their customers.  Hence hostile takeovers are unwise, counterproductive, and not nice.   :)

On the other hand, offering it to them on a silver platter to take over and run ...  that would seem to be nice...

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 10:52:51 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline unimercio

• The opportunity of a lifetime comes by every 7 day
    • View Profile
    • Conscious Entrepreneurship Foundation (CEF)
  • BitShares: unimercio

Kah Ching !
Conscious Entrepreneurship Foundation (CEF)

Offline unimercio

• View Profile
I've posed this question on other 2.0 forums with mixed responses:

Is there merit to developing a "Blockchain Migration Path/Strategy", where one coins ledger is merged onto a DAC ?
Is it technically feasible?
What are the logistic challenges?
What would be the ideal merger(s) ?

Note, the intent is not to create a chain/coin to rule them all. But rather, a solution that embraces legacy chains that merit assimilation/consolidation under one organization family (BitShares).

Think of it as acquisitions of unprofitable alt-chains for the purpose of turning them around. These chains would ideally bring assets (developers, healthy forums, brands, merchants, etc...). As part of the acquisition, they would receive compensation as share swaps or even cash.

It seems DACs should be free to grow both organically and via mergers/acquisitions. The synergies and economies of scale benefits are many. But, the devil is in logistics, reconciliation and selection of candidates.

Any thoughts on this, the question has haunted me for about a year now, with the rise of 2.0, a window may be opening.  :-\

I know of one example where something similar to this is being actively considered by a 3rd party.  We'll have to wait to see what they do.

In principle, this could be accomplished for any existing coin.  If Dogecoin wanted to release a dividend-paying version of itself, they could simply grab the BitShares Security Model and honor all their shareholders in a snapshot of their current chain. 

Poof!  Instant doubling of their footprint on coinmarketcap.

I'm glad to hear it's being explored somewhere (if not here, wink wink).
I would guess, in the not to distant future we'll see several mergers. Doge would be an example of a coin with much to offer and gain in such a merger.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

Is there merit to developing a "Blockchain Migration Path/Strategy", where one coins ledger is merged onto a DAC ?

Note, the intent is not to create a chain/coin to rule them all. But rather, a solution that embraces legacy chains that merit assimilation/consolidation under one organization family (BitShares).

Think of it as acquisitions of unprofitable alt-chains for the purpose of turning them around. These chains would ideally bring assets (developers, healthy forums, brands, merchants, etc...). As part of the acquisition, they would receive compensation as share swaps or even cash.

It seems DACs should be free to grow both organically and via mergers/acquisitions. The synergies and economies of scale benefits are many. But, the devil is in logistics, reconciliation and selection of candidates.

Any thoughts on this, the question has haunted me for about a year now, with the rise of 2.0, a window may be opening.  :-\

But getting developers and more supporteers and contriboter to this community is DEFENITELY a no1 goal and super crucial. The Bitcoin (cor dev) community, the mastercoin community (maybe others I don't know) have good developers (not sure about their economic models though)... 

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

I know of one example where something similar to this is being actively considered by a 3rd party.  We'll have to wait to see what they do.

In principle, this could be accomplished for any existing coin.  If Dogecoin wanted to release a dividend-paying version of itself, they could simply grab the BitShares Security Model and honor all their shareholders in a snapshot of their current chain. 

Poof!  Instant doubling of their footprint on coinmarketcap.

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline unimercio

• View Profile