Author Topic: Delegated Proof-of-Stake (DPOS) Requirements to be a representative  (Read 3648 times)

Offline JoeyD

I think an i7 with SSD is what you would want.

As soon as I find some free time I'll have to do some research what's possible with i7 and virtual-machines. I went AMD last time, because I found them a lot less complicated when it comes to support for things like pci-pass-through on consumer level hardware.

For optimal reliability I think people should setup a solution around virtual-machines. Then you can do maintenance on an offline snapshot or even do a live migration to other physical hardware while keeping the node in the air.

Offline bytemaster

I think an i7 with SSD is what you would want. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline JoeyD

I think you all are thinking it is harder than it is.  If you can run a full btc node then you can run a delegate, especially early on.   As trx volume increases then fees will increase enough to compensate a more robust solution.

If it's comparable to keeping a btc-fullnode running on linux, than I'm up for it. I'll probably have to switch to a more reliable, or enterprise level ISP and / or setup a secondary backup internet connection. Are there any estimates on minimum hardware requirements? I assume something like a raspberry pi linked to a hard-disk would not cut it, but I'd like to setup something as energy efficient as possible.

Offline bytemaster

I think you all are thinking it is harder than it is.  If you can run a full btc node then you can run a delegate, especially early on.   As trx volume increases then fees will increase enough to compensate a more robust solution. 

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline JoeyD

I might have just enough linux-skills for a bare minimum node, but my health-problems won't enable me to guarantee 100% uptime and quick reaction in case of problems.

Maybe some pooled effort and funds (if initially costs are higher than profits) could be organized and pay for things like Amazon cloud servers, or community nodes like mining pools, with a small team of sys-admins to keep the nodes up and running. Personally I'd only be able to have a relatively low bandwith linux-pc running at home, I don't have access to fibre-optics internet at my current residence.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
unique geographic location

What does this mean ?

Most likely it means a geographical location closer in distance to the ISP.  This is because milliseconds matter in trading platforms (just think about how wallstreet has their super-computers strategically located RIGHT next to the exchange itself.

No, it just means diversity in legal jurisdictions - we'd like to see the nodes spread across many countries on many continents.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline stuartcharles

• View Profile
Is high frequency trading possible? Block times are 30 seconds.

Offline fuzzy

unique geographic location

What does this mean ?

Most likely it means a geographical location closer in distance to the ISP.  This is because milliseconds matter in trading platforms (just think about how wallstreet has their super-computers strategically located RIGHT next to the exchange itself. 
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

sumantso

Becoming a delegate requires:

1) Ability to run provided software on a low-latency connection 
2) Ability to setup a secure linux environment
3) Ability to get 1% of the vote...
      a) unique geographic location
      b) trusted member of the community
      c) 1000 BIPS  (a couple of PTS or AGS) registration fee... (keep out spammers)

Remaining a delegate requires:
      a) low latency, 99.9% uptime
      b) non-discrimination of valid transactions
      c) better reputation than all but the top 99

How to earn the best reputation:
      a) Provide the most additional services for your pay.
            - seed node supporting thousands of connections
            - block explorers
            - free web wallets
            - high speed blockchain downloads
      b) Provide the most proof as to your transparency

You get the idea... who ever is willing to provide the most service for their pay will likely win over someone attempting to provide the least service. 

So it rules out non-gearheads like me. Since I have stopped mining, I was wondering if I could put up my rig for this (would have been a unique geographical location, no doubt).

All I can do is click on a wallet and add a few nodes in the conf file. Maybe I will try to learn how to 'setup a secure linux environment'.

Offline stuartcharles

• View Profile

- block explorers
            - free web wallets

You get the idea... who ever is willing to provide the most service for their pay will likely win over someone attempting to provide the least service. 

Thanks, have you decided what hardware will the software be running on?

Offline 麥可貓

• View Profile

How to define my linux environment as 'secure'?
Will there be an example distro just like BAMT for mining,
or any distro + FW + selinux + etc is enough?
PTS: PmRVDPymZqSAZEXauHZSewrUrE66af7epT
BTSX: michaelcat
Delegate Team: x1.sun  x2.sun

Offline muse-umum

• BitShares everything
    • View Profile

Offline bytemaster

- block explorers
            - free web wallets

Offline stuartcharles

• View Profile
Apart from the explained 1% of votes, a good internet connection and continuous proximity to your hardware to ensure up time. what will a representative need. In particular :-
Type of hardware
Will software be supplied
Technical knowledge? will your average crypto miner have enough knowledge to be a representative or will more in depth coding knowledge be required?

Any other requirements i haven't mentioned?