Author Topic: Critique Section  (Read 3440 times)

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Since toast and clout do not like the idea I guess we'll scrap it. Given that this particular idea is broken, I think we should suggest alternatives. The idea was, after all, a direct consequence of the numerous derailing threads and the overall mood created by the particular way in which critique saturates the forum. If we agree that this is a problem, how do we make it better?

clout

this is a bad idea. don't create a critique section, and don't make it private. if ppl want to critique an issue let them do it in the appropriate and designated thread

Offline CLains

• View Profile
Don't fix it if it isn't broke. But it is broke; people are censoring themselves, and when they are not, the discussion fades into a meta-discussion surrounding the value of critique vs FUD. So even if it is a bad idea, there's a good chance it is better than what is.

We see brilliant people stepping out from the shadows. There are bound to be great ideas that we are missing. We need an outlet. Especially when the going gets rough we need a place where heated argument is respected for what it is, a useful mode of discussion that can settle disputes where a lot is at stake.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
I think this is a bad idea, but I can't quite explain why. Do not want.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
"Constructive Ideas" or "Constructive Feedback"? 

Offline CLains

• View Profile
Perhaps the Critique section should only be visible to signed in members... that way we can discuss the issues internally to the community without airing it for every lurker.  This would still be public but not picked up on google searches.

Only visible to signed in members seems like a good idea to me, but even without it, I think the section would help a great deal. What say you, community?

How will moderators handle it?   Every complaint would be moved to this section?

The person who makes the complaint should have final say on whether to move it to the section or not. No blood on our hands.

What is the difference between a complaint and general discussion?

This should also be up to the individuals who makes the complaint. Most issues will simply be suggestions or arguments related to the discussion at hand. At the extreme will be issues that persist, as we have see, across time and threads and people, that need to be "cataloged" and addressed on their own terms in their own space.

Finally, what should the section be called? Not sure I like "critique section."

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
As long as it's run as a more private place to discuss possible issues in smaller groups, rather than a "free speech zone" into which we herd those from whom we don't wish to hear, this sounds like a good idea.  I think moving posts to the less public section is a bad policy, but I can see how some critics might want to start discussions less publicly.

Ooooh! 
Isolated free speech zones for critics!
Why didn't we think of that?   :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:20:04 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
As long as it's run as a more private place to discuss possible issues in smaller groups, rather than a "free speech zone" into which we herd those from whom we don't wish to hear, this sounds like a good idea.  I think moving posts to the less public section is a bad policy, but I can see how some critics might want to start discussions less publicly.

Offline bytemaster

Perhaps the Critique section should only be visible to signed in members... that way we can discuss the issues internally to the community without airing it for every lurker.  This would still be public but not picked up on google searches.   

How will moderators handle it?   Every complaint would be moved to this section? 

What is the difference between a complaint and general discussion?
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
HOW ABOUT

A section of the forum for critique?

It would allow I3 to quickly gain overview of the biggest issues that the community feels need to be addressed, and a place for everyone to discuss them.

It would also prevent people from spreading, or feeling like they are spreading, "FUD" into every nook and cranny of the forum.

+5% +5% +5%