Author Topic: Airdrop Ideas  (Read 13426 times)

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
So let it be done.

As one of bitshare stockholder I hold my rights to reject this idea. A BIG no for me.

I don't think anybody is talking about doing this for any chains that have already had their snapshots and are therefore set in genesis block concrete.

This is only a strategy that individual new DAC developers might employ in a thousand innovative ways.

:)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Just to add a little conceptual DNA, stir the pot and stand back 50 kilometers...

Why not simply give each leading mined coin developer a matching DPOS coin that pays interest and honors them one for one?  (PTS and AGS holders get their 10% out of the as-yet-unmined-and-never-to-be-mined-since-mining-is-dead reserve in each coin for providing the free upgrade.)

Now every coin owner has a copy that shares profits and a copy that doesn't.  Upgrade the whole alt-coin community in one swell foop.  Then let market forces handle the inevitable switchover to the upgrade at whatever pace individual investors choose.

BitShares gift to crypto-owners everywhere.  (As long as we're doing promotional stunts.)

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 03:09:08 am by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline jwiz168

• View Profile
So let it be done.

As one of bitshare stockholder I hold my rights to reject this idea. A BIG no for me.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
A lot of discussion on airdrops has been going on recently and I would like to add a new twist. 

1) I like the half life concept... 50% drop every month until balance is below 1 BIP.
2) Unclaimed air-drop funds should be sent to developers.
3) Altcoin owners are likely more valuable than BTC owners because BTC-only owners are usually altcoin snobs.
4) I recommend honoring all of the top 10 bitcoin-based alt-coins proportional to market cap.  This will get the widest possible airdrop.
5) Don't honor coins with large pre-mines...

If you set this up right, the developers can avoid any accusations of 'pre-mine' because everyone had an opportunity to claim it, unclaimed funds go to devs... this also solves the problem of dead coins being honored.

First where will the resources for the airdrop come from? If there must be a dilution of our shares then of course I don't support it. I'm not against the idea of an air drop and I actually wanted something like this to happen all along, but I think perhaps do it more strategically.

I suggest you pick the coins which benefit charitable causes as the top choice. These might not have a lot of volume but it's still got a lot of passionate people.

Also coins like Blackcoin, which might not be important coins but which have active communities who you know will be all over Bitshares and who have the talent for pumping coins up.

The charities would include computing for good (BOINC). This is not typically a Bitcoin thing and that is good because it's important to reach communities outside of Bitcoin and try to get people who are trying to solve real world problems instead of just day traders.

Please be strategic about it. Maybe give some to holders of Ether, Mastercoin, Counterparty as well and give preferential treatment to them and perhaps in exchange for future cooperation.

https://www.computingforgood.org/

There is a large disconnect between bitshares and churches etc.  For the most part, it would be in their interest to find a member and sell the shares back on the market.  Where the shares are scooped up by the same group of guys who'd buy them from miners.  It would make news, but thats about the only upside.  Well, and charities realize the donation.

Strategic means bringing on valued partners.  People who are already in the ecosystem and are past the initial cryptocurrency entry block.  People who will USE the dacs.   Share owners that become DAC users.

Originally I said go with a large portion to BTC and I am still not all that against the idea.  The reason in this.  Out of all the people I led into cryptocurrencies, they all have a BTC wallet and only a BTC wallet.  So I could naturally show them their interest in the world's first DAC.  I can't do this with other cryptocurrencies.  You're going to get people who have just dipped their toes in the water.  Don't think that everyone with a btc wallet has any opinion on altcoins.

One option instead of the claiming system, might be normalizing account amounts and make the shares untradeable.  If they aren't readily tradeable then no market will develop.  THen everyone is locked in.  At some point in the future perhaps make them tradeable, but for now force everyone to hold.

Actually I would support something like the claim system but without the shares being trade-able.  Claimers are then locked in as share holders.   They can't just claim and dump.  Nothing can go wrong with the market price making I3/Bitshares look bad.  People will still be able to buy and sell Bitshares.

Please do not give people the amount proportional to their accounts.  You will end up centralizing ownership, because those with the higher account balances will have far more incentive to redeem their shares than those with lower balances.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 02:30:14 am by gamey »
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Now is Decentralized Application BM?
I am a simple guy...

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
A lot of discussion on airdrops has been going on recently and I would like to add a new twist. 

1) I like the half life concept... 50% drop every month until balance is below 1 BIP.
3) Altcoin owners are likely more valuable than BTC owners because BTC-only owners are usually altcoin snobs.
4) I recommend honoring all of the top 10 bitcoin-based alt-coins proportional to market cap.  This will get the widest possible airdrop.

If you set this up right, the developers can avoid any accusations of 'pre-mine' because everyone had an opportunity to claim it, unclaimed funds go to devs... this also solves the problem of dead coins being honored.

First where will the resources for the airdrop come from? If there must be a dilution of our shares then of course I don't support it. I'm not against the idea of an air drop and I actually wanted something like this to happen all along, but I think perhaps do it more strategically.

I suggest you pick the coins which benefit charitable causes as the top choice. These might not have a lot of volume but it's still got a lot of passionate people.

Also coins like Blackcoin, which might not be important coins but which have active communities who you know will be all over Bitshares and who have the talent for pumping coins up. Also if possible try to give to the more decentralized networks, so I agree with avoiding premined coins unless it's the case that it's for a charitable cause or it's an airdrop coin and there is where exceptions can be made.

The charities would include computing for good (BOINC). This is not typically a Bitcoin thing and that is good because it's important to reach communities outside of Bitcoin and try to get people who are trying to solve real world problems instead of just day traders.

Please be strategic about it. Maybe give some to holders of Ether, Mastercoin, Counterparty as well and give preferential treatment to them and perhaps in exchange for future cooperation.

I need to find the thread and reread the claiming process works.  Do you get to claim an amount proportional to your balance ?

10 altcoins sounds quite ambitious.  I suppose if you remove premines then we avoid non-bitcoin forks.  I would suggest that if I3 (?) is willing to pay for this work, then you even out the amounts given to each coin a bit.  btc just dwarfs the other communities. 

One thing I can say about a lot of the altcoin holders is that they're loyal true believers.  Those coins have been on a steady downward trend.  If people have held on to them, then that is the type of loyalty you want. :)

Choose the altcoins carefully. If any of us actually are from different altcoin communities for example then we could create threads announcing the airdrop.

I still think in addition to this, someone should set up a mining pool so altcoin miners can get payout in Bitshares when the time comes. That alone along with the airdrop will be excellent marketing because you'll get the miners and long term holders attention.

I am not against it. But like you said it should be done purposefully / strategically. Goal/Function: Raise Awareness: What is the best benefit (awareness about III DACs and ideas) per cost (dilution of AGS/PTS) ratio then?

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit

Also coins like Blackcoin, which might not be important coins but which have active communities who you know will be all over Bitshares and who have the talent for pumping coins up. Also if possible try to give to the more decentralized networks, so I agree with avoiding premined coins unless it's the case that it's for a charitable cause or it's an airdrop coin and there is where exceptions can be made.

I need to find the thread and reread the claiming process works.  Do you get to claim an amount proportional to your balance ?

10 altcoins sounds quite ambitious.  I suppose if you remove premines then we avoid non-bitcoin forks.  I would suggest that if I3 (?) is willing to pay for this work, then you even out the amounts given to each coin a bit.  btc just dwarfs the other communities. 

One thing I can say about a lot of the altcoin holders is that they're loyal true believers.  Those coins have been on a steady downward trend.  If people have held on to them, then that is the type of loyalty you want. :)

Choose the altcoins carefully. If any of us actually are from different altcoin communities for example then we could create threads announcing the airdrop.

I still think in addition to this, someone should set up a mining pool so altcoin miners can get payout in Bitshares when the time comes. That alone along with the airdrop will be excellent marketing because you'll get the miners and long term holders attention.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 02:13:11 am by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline gamey

• View Profile

I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline ebit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: ebit
good idea.
telegram:ebit521
https://weibo.com/ebiter

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.