Author Topic: Marketing idea: essay contest on bitcointalk  (Read 2422 times)

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Once a week or so is fine. We can do other cool things like this in parallel :)

Offline jwiz168

• View Profile
Essay writing is a good way to let bitcoin-savvy  or any other decentralized technologies that   are related what bitshare is blowing trumpet, have its way of making bitshare viral.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
When Bitshares Me comes out, every writer can run an IPO on his/her essay. The market can pick winners and these will get the bounty-ous rewards.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
The reason I suggest to do it every day is, in part, I think it would be very helpful to us from a marketing standpoint to have a real active "megathread" in the altcoin announcements.  People looking for "what's hot" look in the altcoin section to see what has the most posts and activity and they look at basically only at the first page of threads that have been most recently updated.

having a daily post contest would guarantee a lot of supportive, interesting, and intelligent posts.  Any one of us on this forum who also has a bitcointalk account could compete to get some free AGS if they can write something interesting and it gives us an excuse to post positive messages and ideas on bitcointalk.

The more we give out and the more often, the more interest there will be.  AGS is cool because the money comes back to the general fund and it takes a little initiative and can't be dumped as easily.

We also have a limited time window to get AGS donations, about 2 months, the more people who feel like they got in on the ground floor of this I think the more solid our social consensus will be.

Everyday might be a bit expensive and I don't know if anyone at Invictus has time to go through all that content everyday.

I share your concern about making AGS more accessible. I like the 'proven donor' concept, but after the two month window is closed & new investors can't participate, it's possible it might seem like an 'exclusive club' in a negative way. I think they may have to make it liquid in some way at some point.

Offline fuzzy

WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Agent86

• BTSX: agent86
    • View Profile
The reason I suggest to do it every day is, in part, I think it would be very helpful to us from a marketing standpoint to have a real active "megathread" in the altcoin announcements.  People looking for "what's hot" look in the altcoin section to see what has the most posts and activity and they look at basically only at the first page of threads that have been most recently updated.

having a daily post contest would guarantee a lot of supportive, interesting, and intelligent posts.  Any one of us on this forum who also has a bitcointalk account could compete to get some free AGS if they can write something interesting and it gives us an excuse to post positive messages and ideas on bitcointalk.

The more we give out and the more often, the more interest there will be.  AGS is cool because the money comes back to the general fund and it takes a little initiative and can't be dumped as easily.

We also have a limited time window to get AGS donations, about 2 months, the more people who feel like they got in on the ground floor of this I think the more solid our social consensus will be.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
It's a good idea, good way to get the community involved. Every day might be too much. Once a week could be good.

There can also maybe be an award for best Bitshares image (meme/advert/photo) Maybe the winner can be put on the website bitshares.org for a day.

Maybe a monthly competition for the best video you can make to promote Bitshares too.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Micro-"grants" and prizes like these is an excellent idea.

Offline Agent86

• BTSX: agent86
    • View Profile
My idea is we have an essay contest (essay is just a short post on bitcointalk in a particular thread that we start).  Essay can be on any subject related to DACs, BitShares value proposition etc.  Every day a winner is selected and maybe 5 honorable mentions.  Winner gets to donate 1 BTC to AGS address and post a transaction I.D. and have the BTC reimbursed.  honorable mention gets to donate up to 0.2 BTC and have it reimbursed.  No repeat winners but honorable mentions can still be considered for grand prize.  People love free stuff on that forum so it will get some play, we can pick people by a combination of their post and also based on their rep (we just don't pick super new accounts with no history aka sockpuppets).  Winners donate to AGS so we get the funds back in the AGS funds to use to develop the industry it just dilutes slightly future AGS donors.  Winners can't dump shares immediately because AGS is a longer term committment, we could get lots of interesting essays and posts.

Maybe we do an "Altcoin announcement" post for future DACs like bitshares DNS and run the essay/post contest from within the altcoin announcement thread (just because it seems like the altcoin announcement threads tend to get the most eyes)

I think the more stakeholders from the industry we get paddling on our ship the better momentum we have for the social consensus; I think there are people that are into crypto who haven't really been exposed to our ideas and if they were, they would like to invest.  So, it's fair to them that we make an effort.  Otherwise there is a good chance that they hear of our ideas for the first time from someone who never gives credit to where the idea came from, and sells a clone or something.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:05:00 pm by Agent86 »