Author Topic: A DAC is a Sovereign Co-op  (Read 5232 times)

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Re: A DAC is a Sovereign Co-op
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 04:12:01 am »
How about we informally refer to Bitshares as a Decentralized Autonomous Credit Union instead of a decentralized autonomous bank?

Credit unions are actually popular while banks are hated. Just calling it a decentralized bank is perhaps an error unless you're dealing with the Wall Street and Silicon Valley exclusively.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 04:18:29 am by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 04:14:04 am »
Perhaps it's more accurate in some respects.  I don't think people are as familiar with the term co-op; it might be harder to imagine shares that grow in value with a co-op compared to a company.

I think REI and some mutual insurance companies are technically co-ops but most people might not make the distinction

In any case, I think the best way to explain it is to build it.  There are a lot of things that people would never think were possible until they saw it with their own eyes.  Most people don't know how their TVs or Cars really work but once they see it in action you don't need to convince them or explain it anymore.

I think the value of a DAC that "does something" might end up being easier for people to get than bitcoin.

We should go to "credit union" when explaining it informally but when it's formal we should just replace the C for whatever we want to call it depending on the audience.

1. Corporation
2. Coop
3. Community

But when videos are made explaining how it can benefit the little guy that is when we should talk more about cooperatives, credit unions, community, and social corporation (if we must use the word corporation at all).

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 06:17:39 am »
We should go to "credit union" when explaining it informally but when it's formal we should just replace the C for whatever we want to call it depending on the audience.

1. Corporation
2. Coop
3. Community

But when videos are made explaining how it can benefit the little guy that is when we should talk more about cooperatives, credit unions, community, and social corporation (if we must use the word corporation at all).
I like that idea as is reflects the blockchain being all of the above. Let's please also add the (more technical) term

4. Consensus
Give BitShares a try! Use the http://testnet.bitshares.eu provided by http://bitshares.eu powered by ChainSquad GmbH

Offline unimercio

• The opportunity of a lifetime comes by every 7 day
    • View Profile
    • Conscious Entrepreneurship Foundation (CEF)
  • BitShares: unimercio
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 10:50:45 am »
If I may indulge my inner Yoda for a moment.

Ironic we, a gathering of sovereigns seeking tags and flags to wave

IM(H?)O

If, we are to be free men? Why waste precious energy on finding appropriate ways to label ourselves.
Let our actions, deeds and results speak for us.

Why announce ourselves with labels that can be used by authority to slam us to the ground in our infancy.

The task is to define:

What we are without using regulatory red flag labels (credit union, coop, bank, IPO, etc..)
How we operate so even the least informed/capable will grasp it and tell others.
Why we are to be considered as an alternate to our competitor(s)

Strike the labels, they only bring scrutiny and confusion by inviting weak comparisons. Better we lead by creating new words and definitions, promptly followed by manifest examples.

I3 can stand behind a veil of abstraction as a software provider. But, the independent DAC operator will face a $hit storm of jurisdiction relevant challenges head on. Better we navigate in uncharted waters than known shoals.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:19:19 am by unimercio »
Conscious Entrepreneurship Foundation (CEF)

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 11:06:46 am »
 +5%

Distributed Autonomous Network or DAN..... ;D

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 11:18:43 am »
+5%

Distributed Autonomous Network or DAN..... ;D
+5%

Offline unimercio

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 11:27:23 am »

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 03:31:41 pm »
'A consortium is an association of two or more individuals, companies, organizations or governments (or any combination of these entities) with the objective of participating in a common activity or pooling their resources for achieving a common goal.

Consortium is a Latin word, meaning "partnership", "association" or "society" and derives from consors 'partner', itself from con- 'together' and sors 'fate', meaning owner of means or comrade.' Wikipedia

Distributed Autonomous Consortium

(or Distributed Autonomous Consentium)

To my mind;

We could be described as a Consortium of distributed innovators and investors seeking to improve upon Satoshi Nakamoto's brilliant networked trust invention.  In so doing, we hope to disrupt inefficient and corrupt centralized systems for both profit and the hope of building a fairer society.

How will society become fairer?  Accountability, transparency and therefore trust will be reintroduced to our businesses and governance.  This will have the knock-on effect of re-introducing fairness or a sense of justice.  Also, individuals will gain additional sovereignty over their capital. 

Offline gamey

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 07:47:45 pm »

What we are without using regulatory red flag labels (credit union, coop, bank, IPO, etc..)

How is "coop" a red flag label ?

I think I prefer cooperative over corporation, but I am not sure.  Trying to fit Bitshares into either corporation of coop is a bit of a stretch for just about everyone. 

Measuring how effective each term is in metaphors likely directly relates to one's political leanings and little else.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline fuzzy

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 07:53:13 pm »
Yes Co-op is a better description than corporation or just company.

Sovereign in terms of making owners sovereign over their assets works too. I sometimes read pieces that originated from sovereignman.com who have applied sovereign in a similar way.

Sovereign Man is an intelligence service that brings you rational solutions to protect your life, liberty and pursuit of happiness against bankrupt governments and a financial system in terminal decline 

Learn how to diversify your life and assets geographically so that no government has power over you, and open doors to new opportunities for financial security and prosperity. 

Oh god I can already hear the impatient among us saying "who cares what you call it? just release it already!!!  AAAAARGH! *rips eyes out*"

I agree co-op is more appropriate, but maybe use company or corporarion for some while the charity DACs can be coops
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 07:55:52 pm by fuznuts »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 07:59:50 pm »
Yes Co-op is a better description than corporation or just company.

Sovereign in terms of making owners sovereign over their assets works too. I sometimes read pieces that originated from sovereignman.com who have applied sovereign in a similar way.

Sovereign Man is an intelligence service that brings you rational solutions to protect your life, liberty and pursuit of happiness against bankrupt governments and a financial system in terminal decline 

Learn how to diversify your life and assets geographically so that no government has power over you, and open doors to new opportunities for financial security and prosperity. 

Oh god I can already hear the impatient among us saying "who cares what you call it? just release it already!!!  AAAAARGH! *rips eyes out*"

I agree co-op is more appropriate, but maybe use company or corporarion for some while the charity DACs can be coops

"who cares what  you call it?"  == Brian Page  & Marketing & Legal &....   obviously we should spend time debating this that interfeers with coding :)..... but when my brain is too fried to code it is entertaining and helps to explain to people.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline unimercio

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 08:43:06 pm »

How is "coop" a red flag label ?

I also would've guessed it was not regulated, but it is:

http://www.sba.gov/content/cooperative   :o

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 08:46:13 pm by unimercio »

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2014, 08:47:08 pm »
EVERYTHING with an existing meaning is regulated... :(
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 09:13:27 pm »

Lets slice the Gordian Knot* in half, lets invent a new word and put the meaning we want in... in Greek it is easy... history has proove that!
And it is easy most times to get spelled naturaly internationally... because believe me "sovereign" is not easy to speak out from different countrys they don't speak English....

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordian_Knot
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 09:53:15 pm by liondani »

Offline unimercio

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 11:52:12 pm »
  +5% precisely... lets beat our own path, create our own terms and terminology!  If it's fair, works fine and last long time?  Who cares, the rest is semantics and pot holes.  8)