Author Topic: Could the Social Security system benefit from this technology?  (Read 1061 times)

bitbro

I hope you're on to something here.  Eliminating ACH costs would save the world billions of dollars...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NewMine

• View Profile
After thinking about this I realized something.

Satoshi solved the problem of "double spending" with the blockchain.

What is "double spending" other than fraud or counterfeiting a transaction right?

So the "double spending" could apply to identity fraud and theft. Someone who is trying to use your identity at the same time as you.

Let's say you apply for a new job and are hired. Your employer will need your social security number/public key. To confirm you are who you are they could send an arbitrary amount of un spendable tokens to your public key. And then you would send them back using your privatekey access. If you don't send back the tokens the SS# is invalid and can not be used.
Somewhat in the same way companies set up ACH transfers by sending a small amount of money to your bank account and then you confirming the amount.  If you confirm the wrong amounts the ACH does not setup and you are forced to start over.

Offline NewMine

• View Profile
A DAC?

I can see how a blockchain/open ledger, public/private keys, low or zero fee transactions and fast transaction speeds could help the current system some.  Of course it wouldn't be all that decentralized because you know, governments involvement. 

Just a thought.