Author Topic: Use of democracy in promotion.  (Read 876 times)

merockstar

I've been putting a lot of thought into this the past few days and the conclusion I've reached is some FUD is good.

If it stirs controversy and causes people to argue about it, then more people are going to become aware of Bitshares in general. That means more people are going to actually do their own homework to decide if the FUD has any merit.

Sure, a lot of people will look at said FUD and let it form their opinion. But some people won't and this is the people we want. At a certain point if there's enough conversation about it it will hit critical mass, and then the sheeple will pile on.

Just look at NXT. Remember the endless FUD about there being 70 some initial investors who owned most of the stake? It generated alot of conversation, and now they have the third highest market cap.

That said, I'm not a marketing genius by any means. Probably the exact opposite.

I think we should hear from somebody who does marketing for a living on this subject.

Paging Mr. Page.

Offline bytemaster

Currently nothing can be changed by proposals... but in theory we could change:

1) number of delegates
2) block reward
3) block interval
4) minimum fee
5) block size
6) ... ???
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
For discussion ..

I've seen 2 arguments to using "Democracy" when referring to DPOS's selling points.

One is that using democracy allows people to attack DPOS.  "Tyranny of the majority".

Others have suggested that it is a strong word that appeals to most everyone.

I was talking to Clout and he had a good point.  We now have this proposal system that will be part of the Delegate system.  (I am not sure about the details.)  The delegates will then vote on proposals.  In this way it is very much Democratic. 

My concern is the people will not understand what all is possible in this watered down version of Democracy.  It opens up a lot of room for FUD.  People like Bitcoin because it doesn't change much.  It is secure. 

I suggested an analogy where the network client itself be seen as the Constitution because the underlying business logic can not change without new releases.  So new releases might be seen as Amendments to the Constitution.  These are core rules which can not be changed by proposals.  Proposals are limited to variables that interact with the network.  It is more like voting for taxes and pay rates.

As a side note I understand there was a list posted about all the variables that can be changed via proposals.  Does anyone know where I can find the list?
I speak for myself and only myself.