Author Topic: GET YOUR BTS XT Wallet Here!  (Read 24807 times)

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
That didn't answer any of my questions.

Specifically - Why did your company not hire a rock star developer full time to avoid bottlenecks?

Surely you should be able to attract talent and offer them a long term contract.

That is exactly what we have done!  Look at the great talent we have leading the other new DACs!

But Bitshares X (and the DPOS breakthrough all DACs require) were things we were not able to hand off to anyone.   Bytemaster had to do that himself.  Now that we have the required solution, Bytemaster has pulled the best talent he needs to get it coded and they are making great progress in nightly coding marathons.  Check out the github action and see for yourself.

Suggest reading The Mythical Man-month http://www.amazon.com/The-Mythical-Man-Month-Engineering-Anniversary-ebook/dp/B000OZ0N6M- a classic that explains why adding more people to a late project makes it later.  (Especially when the hold-up is the need for a missing invention.)

If I may chime in here. I think it's better to have Bytemaster work on the most critical portions of the code. The more developers working on a critical piece of code the more human beings we have to trust and the more difficult it will be to audit the code for people who actually read the code.

Bytemaster should work on Bitshares exclusively because he's the developer who has the absolute trust of the community. Those other developers may win our trust in the future but once again if we were asked to trust them all from the start it would be a vastly different value proposition as an investor.

As an investor if you do your do diligence you can read Bytemaster's code. It's very well written and documented. You can also read Toast's toolkit code which is also very well written.

Different developers have different styles. Some styles are more prone to bugs than others. The fact that Bytemaster took the time to ask the community to help him audit, and even offered rewards early on, are some of the reasons I had the ability to trust him enough to buy angelshares.

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
There were not enough simultaneous new ideas to do a competition.
So we have been launching them one-by-one as developers appear and bubble to the top.
Perhaps as the current batch launches and creates buzz there will be a surge of more.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
Sounds great! You mentioned at some point something about opening the floor at the meet up in Vegas for DAC proposals.

What is the status of that? Also, sorry about hijacking the thread, I'll take this conversation offline.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
I've read the mythical man-month. That mostly applies for trying to add 1,000 people to a 5,000 team in the last minute.

I agree that adding a person post Feb 28th was probably not going to help much, because it's about designing the algorithm, not the implementation.

However I would still argue that you COULD have had an alternative solution being developed side by side.

My biggest frustration here is that you consider yourself the authority on the subject because you have captured the funds.

However if you had offered a hefty bounty for developing a POS trading, I'm sure some talents, would have participated and the result would have been healthy competition. And by hefty bounty I mean $50K-$100K and above.

However you just assumed that Bytemaster is the best to do everything hard, and now you are going to lick your wounds.

The right way to do BitShares would have been to allow the community to decide which DACs they can put their money in. I definitely don't like the "I buy AGS, and I get % of all the DACs".

Furthermore creators of new DACs have to still organize their own funding. Which I thought your platform would allow.

Again as a developer I did not see compelling reasons to join your effort, and I would have loved to. You have attracted investments, but not development talent. Hopefully that will change soon.

Toast and Hackfisher already have grants greater than you suggest to independently develop their DACs.

If you are such talent, please arrange an interview with us and we'll see how we can get you involved!  I guarantee you we will offer a job (or award an outright grant to start a company) to anyone who can stay in the ring with bytemaster for one hour.

:)

« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 01:43:38 am by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline mavisjames

• View Profile
Pmp2K9S5t15hTEkrrFk1cfieb2Y2eVR6YG

BTSX ID: mdyyz

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
I've read the mythical man-month. That mostly applies for trying to add 1,000 people to a 5,000 team in the last minute.

I agree that adding a person post Feb 28th was probably not going to help much, because it's about designing the algorithm, not the implementation.

However I would still argue that you COULD have had an alternative solution being developed side by side.

My biggest frustration here is that you consider yourself the authority on the subject because you have captured the funds.

However if you had offered a hefty bounty for developing a POS trading, I'm sure some talents, would have participated and the result would have been healthy competition. And by hefty bounty I mean $50K-$100K and above.

However you just assumed that Bytemaster is the best to do everything hard, and now you are going to lick your wounds.

The right way to do BitShares would have been to allow the community to decide which DACs they can put their money in. I definitely don't like the "I buy AGS, and I get % of all the DACs".

Furthermore creators of new DACs have to still organize their own funding. Which I thought your platform would allow.

Again as a developer I did not see compelling reasons to join your effort, and I would have loved to. You have attracted investments, but not development talent. Hopefully that will change soon.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

Specifically - Why did your company not hire a rock star developer full time to avoid bottlenecks?

Surely you should be able to attract talent and offer them a long term contract.

That is exactly what we have done!  Look at the great talent we have leading the other new DACs!

But Bitshares X (and the DPOS breakthrough all DACs require) were things we were not able to hand off to anyone.   Bytemaster had to do that himself.  Now that we have the required solution, Bytemaster has pulled the best talent he needs to get it coded and they are making great progress in nightly coding marathons.  Check out the github action and see for yourself.

Suggest reading The Mythical Man-month http://www.amazon.com/The-Mythical-Man-Month-Engineering-Anniversary-ebook/dp/B000OZ0N6M- a classic that explains why adding more people to a late project makes it later.  (Especially when the hold-up is the need for a missing invention.)

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
How time flies! summer is coming!!!
I still remember someone said that we would be happy this spring. But I'm not, at all.

I just had my driveway repaved.
About halfway through the task the contractor's paving equipment broke.
All that hot asphalt had to be roughly spread on the rest of the driveway by hand.
Then we had to drive over that mess for a week while the equipment was being repaired.
I wasn't happy.  Not at all.
But they came back and finished the job.
The driveway is much thicker than it would have been.
Everything is smooth and beautiful.
Now I am happy.  I hardly remember the time when I was unhappy.

Stan, what you are doing lately on these forums I think is called "lip-service". It's not fun anymore. Hire professionals, get it done.

What is the bottleneck? And why could you not solve it by hiring a top notch developer?

It is self-evident that it is in our best interest to get a system that will work deployed as soon as possible.

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
I still remember someone said that we would be happy this spring. But I'm not, at all.

All that hot asphalt had to be roughly spread on the rest of the driveway by hand.
Then we had to drive over that mess for a week while the equipment was being repaired.

Stan, what you are doing lately on these forums I think is called "lip-service". It's not fun anymore. Hire professionals, get it done.

What is the bottleneck? And why could you not solve it by hiring a top notch developer?

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

You are lucky the week of repairment nobody needed an ambulance ...

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

Offline callmeluc

• View Profile
BTS_自扯自淡

lzr1900

LOL. two months gone. :'(

Offline Schwede65

• View Profile
i don't want to needle someone...

...but please tell us the time frame to release BTS XT

Edit: this thread is relevant: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=1890.555
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:07:31 am by Schwede65 »