Author Topic: crypto & blockchain technologies for a post fossil/capitalist sustainable world  (Read 10465 times)

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
Tipon, do you really think you're going to get anywhere around here denouncing capitalism? Have you not noticed that capitalism is a popular word on these forums?

Here's my suggestion: come up with some other word for the evil system you're describing. The word "capitalism" has too many meanings. To you, it means greedy unsustainable growth and development, but to a lot of people around here it means something much less sinister: something like "the concept that people should be able to own things freely without someone else violently taking them away."

I'm just trying to give you some friendly advice to help you get your point across better. I hate seeing people shooting themselves in the foot through poor choice of words.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

When I feel a debate about capitalism coming, I always try to ask "whats your definition of capitalism?"  I often get "The system by which the rich oppress the poor in perpetual wage slavery"  or some variation.  To which I invariably reply "yeah man, I'm against that too"  I then try to steer the conversation in a more important direction like, When is it okay to use violence against your fellow man?  If i recall correctly Marx coined the term capitalism.  I say let them have their word if its that important to them.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline tipon

• View Profile
oh sorry , i think i should have started with my definition of capitalism, here we go:

For me capitalism is our actual system based on infinite growth.
Infinite growth is the esence of capitalism and its result from competition.
Competition in the system impose to each capitalist the necessity of growing

Instead of using blockchain technologies for expanding competition , how about using them for expanding cooperation?

Tipon, do you really think you're going to get anywhere around here denouncing capitalism? Have you not noticed that capitalism is a popular word on these forums?

Here's my suggestion: come up with some other word for the evil system you're describing. The word "capitalism" has too many meanings. To you, it means greedy unsustainable growth and development, but to a lot of people around here it means something much less sinister: something like "the concept that people should be able to own things freely without someone else violently taking them away."

I'm just trying to give you some friendly advice to help you get your point across better. I hate seeing people shooting themselves in the foot through poor choice of words.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:29:48 pm by tipon »

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil

Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline tipon

• View Profile
why? the speed of use of natural resources in capitalism goes much faster than the speed of regeneration of the earth.
These speed is always increasing.
The planet is not infinite.
Thats a destructive process.
Theres a contradiction between the need of infinite growth with the physical limits of the planet.

Now, how can we use blockchain technologies for fixing these?

Capitalism is a cancer that is destroying the planet.
Thats because its based on infinite growth.

Not big fan of Marks in this regard...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:12:13 pm by tipon »

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Not big fan of Marks in this regard...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:01:04 pm by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline tipon

• View Profile
Growth means increasing productivity and increasing the use of natural resources and energies, it also increment the impacts of these processes in nature . These are in contradiction with the limited existence of natural resurces and the physical limits in our planet.
Capitalism is based on growth and thats why it cannot be sustainable ( in an ecological way).
Unsustainability means that its inevitable the collapse of capitalism. Or at least the structure of the actual world and the actual capitalist system is gonna change into something radically differente ( im not sure if calling this capitalism).
Our economic theory (liberal economics) decoupled energy and natural resources from the function of the economy and this mean all the economic theory and mechanisms are wrong and obsolete and we need to create a new economic system and theory.

I see theres a lot of people with interesting ideas trying to innovate with block chains technologies and crypto stuff.
But they are trying to integrate these technologies into the actual capitalist system.
I think the real potential is the opposite: Using these technologies for creating new kind of infrastructures that would allow communities and society to create a new  economic system parallel to capitalism that cannot be integrated to capitalism.
Using these technologies for building alternatives to capitalist system,  for example to create a new sustainable world.

what do you think?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:50:35 pm by tipon »