Author Topic: .p2p intro video - first draft - feedback wanted!  (Read 13052 times)

Offline GaltReport

triple post!

just wanted to say that the animations are fantastic, easy to follow, and go very well with the script.

and one final suggestion: at around the 28 second mark you finish saying "private key" and there is a few seconds of down time til the animation zooms in and you begin your next sentence.

i do not think private key is a well known term among most people. maybe you could use that blank audio space as on opportunity to fill the knowledge gap by adding something like

"you can only lose control when you choose to share your private key. This is very similar to sharing a password and should be avoided."

Agree. Password or Secret Word/Phrase are possible substitutes.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Very nice! Have started forwarding it.
Don't yet! Wait until we get our shit together

How about now? :3

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

Don't yet! Wait until we get our shit together
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline onceuponatime

Offline swedespade

• View Profile
    • About me
Here is the final version.
Any outstanding mistakes can be fixed of course.

Thanks for all your feedback everyone!
Working on media. A little extra goes a long way:)
BTC: 1FPc7dMfwS2j9HRDyxZxft29Ti57p5jum6
Cryptsy: 76331613e1e44f0f7e7f838c6df4c4e404150f4a

Offline solaaire

• praise the sun!
    • View Profile
Hm, all images are all vectors made by me
Quality looks fine to me. Can I get a screen shot of what you are seeing for comparison?

oh cool, very nice work man

I just messed around with Vimeo a bit - turns out the jaggies I described are only an issue when watching the video in HD in the default,  non-fullscreen view. Maximizing the video to fullscreen fixes the issue I was describing. Turning off the HD option fixed the issue as well. I'm guessing Vimeo downsamples HD videos that aren't being viewed in fullscreen or something like that.

Anyway, it appears to be a non-issue after all :D thanks for responding and im glad some of the feedback was helpful!

Offline swedespade

• View Profile
    • About me
Thanks guys, Great feedback so far:)

For my taste the sounds are too loud compared to the voice. Makes it harder to focus on the content...
Ill tweak the sound

"What is dot p2p? Dot p2p is a new alternative to the traditional DNS system."
Good idea IMO

i thought it was great, my only gripe is that the images dont seem high rez and so they appear jaggy around the edges
Hm, all images are all vectors made by me
Quality looks fine to me. Can I get a screen shot of what you are seeing for comparison?

"you can only lose control when you choose to share your private key. This is very similar to sharing a password and should be avoided."
This is worth considering for sure.

I am excited to wrap this up:D

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
off-topic --> but great initiative!

tipping address 1NoA98grVfXfVqysU4ijM9jhMBD8vmrUC8 (http://www.amani-kinderdorf.de/index.php?id=213&L=1)

delulo i really like your signature .. will make a  small donation later the day ...  +5%
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline solaaire

• praise the sun!
    • View Profile
triple post!

just wanted to say that the animations are fantastic, easy to follow, and go very well with the script.

and one final suggestion: at around the 28 second mark you finish saying "private key" and there is a few seconds of down time til the animation zooms in and you begin your next sentence.

i do not think private key is a well known term among most people. maybe you could use that blank audio space as on opportunity to fill the knowledge gap by adding something like

Offline solaaire

• praise the sun!
    • View Profile
her thoughts: "cool, but the first part about domains and DNR or whatever was confusing"

after rewatching it a few times, i really agree with her. the video is very clear and easy to follow, except for the first sentence!

What is dot p2p. Dot p2p is a decentralized top level domain, and an alternative to the traditional DNS system.

i think you could cut that down to:

"What is dot p2p? Dot p2p is a new alternative to the traditional DNS system."

without losing anything, simply because you go on to explain the advantages of decentralization in much clearer terms right after that anyway

Offline solaaire

• praise the sun!
    • View Profile
just watched this w/ my gf

her thoughts: "cool, but the first part about domains and DNR or whatever was confusing"

me: i thought it was great, my only gripe is that the images dont seem high rez and so they appear jaggy around the edges

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Here is the new update for the video!
Leave feedback in the comments.

.p2p demo video

+5% +5% wow very aesthetic style! Michael really great work! I like! Also the voice attitude it's much better now
It is great! Also the voice sounds really professional. Is that you toast??
For my taste the sounds are too loud compared to the voice. Makes it harder to focus on the content...

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
 +5%
My only comment would be that it doesn't address at all how shareholders make money. Maybe somehow explain that you can register a domain using your shares or become a shareholder and earn money because ....etc..

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

.p2p demo video

+5% +5% wow very aesthetic style! Michael really great work! I like! Also the voice attitude it's much better now
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline swedespade

• View Profile
    • About me

.p2p demo video

Offline swedespade

• View Profile
    • About me
I will post an update in a couple days!

Offline GaltReport

Slightly off topic but I never understood how it prevents domain squatting.  If there is an auction and only the squatter is there, then they receive the domain, no ?  Are people able to outbid for the domain later on ?

We should say "mitigate" instead of "prevent."

or just "minimize". ;)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

Offline mdw

• View Profile

Slightly off topic but I never understood how it prevents domain squatting.  If there is an auction and only the squatter is there, then they receive the domain, no ?  Are people able to outbid for the domain later on ?

If you try to buy a domain that is clearly worth a lot for cheap, someone will call you on it because they have a profit motive to do so. Of course *someone* will end up with the domain, but they are forced to pay full price and so 1) they are more likely to sell it because of high opportunity cost and 2) they cannot buy thousands of high-value domains.

The end result is that you still have "squatters" except they look more like registrars that resell well-priced domains.

There's also a fee built into the system right?  So someone speculating on a domain name would need to be able to move it quickly.

I also agree that the video should have a little bit more information on domain name squatting.  Perhaps point out the percentage of .bit registered names vs operation websites.

Why should people believe that the cause of that is domain name squatting? The ratio of developed .BIT domains versus reserved domains is striking, but where is the case made for squatting being the reason?
"A good friend will always stab you in the front." - Oscar Wilde

Offline bobmaloney

Have you guys considered doing several different versions using much of the same material?

I can see a use for:

A "full-length" version with fairly detailed descriptions of each benefit.
A short, more generic version for the quick hit.
A version that spotlights the individual benefits separately, for use in different demographics.
(I can see liberty-focused groups having more interest in the higher resistance to confiscation, business-focused individuals might have more interest in discouraging squatters, while 2.0 investment-focused might have more interest in the income distribution.)
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline swedespade

• View Profile
    • About me
Big thanks to everyone for your feedback.
All suggestions we're taken under consideration.

Look out for the next version soon!

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Checkout free music at jamendo.com!!

Offline swedespade

• View Profile
    • About me
I think with a background "music"/beat  it would be better...

In the process of finding some. Any free use suggestions welcome!

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

agreed

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

Offline mint chocolate chip

maybe show how a user would access a .p2p domain

Offline CLains

• View Profile
50s explain "domain name squatting" either the voice or graphic or combination must explain what this is, what is going on, why it is bad.
I think we are assuming the audience understands the problem of squatting. However it would not hurt to explain this...

If we explain things like domain and domain name squatting, we serve as an explanation video as well, which is a value in its own right, more people will share it. Also remember that different languages might have different metaphors, so any person less than perfectly fluent in english might stumble on the phrase.

58 "enables global price discovery ... this mechanic helps accurately price domains as well as incentivizes honest market participation" can't you say this in a lighter way?
Open to ideas.

.. auctions allow people to agree on a fair price. .. hmmm

how about using something like the graphic from 33s in the bitshares.org video to explain how the centralized OLD domain name authority can be decentralized. in the first picture, the ICANN icon can be on the top, with the users all trading "up," and in the NEW the auction can be centered between them..
Could you explain this differently, I am a little lost here :/ Thanks!

Wrote that a bit too fast! :) What I mean is that you can have .. lemme just,

Offline toast

• View Profile
.p2p will have a standard inactivity fee but it just costs a standard tx fee to renew before then.

Now that I think about it.   How does bits xt reduce your xts holdings without your private key to accomplish the annual fee?

We have our own blockchains, we can make whatever rules we want!
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
Now that I think about it.   How does bits xt reduce your xts holdings without your private key to accomplish the annual fee?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline puppies

• View Profile
I thought the network charged an annual fee.   Kind of like how x will charge an inactivity fee.   

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline toast

• View Profile

There's also a fee built into the system right?  So someone speculating on a domain name would need to be able to move it quickly.

What do you mean by this? There are standard transaction fees, and then the full price you paid for the domain. That's it, no other fees.

I also agree that the video should have a little bit more information on domain name squatting.  Perhaps point out the percentage of .bit registered names vs operation websites.

Great idea!

Offline puppies

• View Profile

If you try to buy a domain that is clearly worth a lot for cheap, someone will call you on it because they have a profit motive to do so. Of course *someone* will end up with the domain, but they are forced to pay full price and so 1) they are more likely to sell it because of high opportunity cost and 2) they cannot buy thousands of high-value domains.

The end result is that you still have "squatters" except they look more like registrars that resell well-priced domains.

Offline toast

• View Profile

Offline gamey

• View Profile

I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
Great video :)  +5%

Just one thing! Speaking with a little bit more Up's and down's! Sry don't know how to say it.
Perhaps just have to speak a bit more emphasis? Just thoughts, it's nothing content related etc.

Offline swedespade

• View Profile
    • About me
Great feedback!

It starts with.. what is .p2p? It is.. "decentralized top level domain, and an alternative to the traditional DNS system"

Why not just start with ".p2p is a new domain name system" .. "domain names are, .. [introduce by example].."
I agree.

No need to say "a few.. important improvement" .. just "important improvements"
"in contrast to OLD, NEW is decentralized"
agreed

50s explain "domain name squatting" either the voice or graphic or combination must explain what this is, what is going on, why it is bad.
I think we are assuming the audience understands the problem of squatting. However it would not hurt to explain this...

58 "enables global price discovery ... this mechanic helps accurately price domains as well as incentivizes honest market participation" can't you say this in a lighter way?
Open to ideas.

how about using something like the graphic from 33s in the bitshares.org video to explain how the centralized OLD domain name authority can be decentralized. in the first picture, the ICANN icon can be on the top, with the users all trading "up," and in the NEW the auction can be centered between them..
Could you explain this differently, I am a little lost here :/ Thanks!

Offline CLains

• View Profile
Video! Awesome.  +5%

It starts with.. what is .p2p? It is.. "decentralized top level domain, and an alternative to the traditional DNS system"

Why not just start with ".p2p is a new domain name system" .. "domain names are, .. [introduce by example].."

Then transition to OLD versus NEW comparison

No need to say "a few.. important improvement" .. just "important improvements"
"in contrast to OLD, NEW is decentralized"

32-48s is good.

just some random thoughts, make your harshest critic your best friend huh :)

Offline SuanBing

• View Profile
    • Bitshares News
So sad we(CHINA) can't access YouTube because GFW..

suggestions?

goagent works fine,or they could buy a vps to build a VPN server.
BitsharesNews.com
我的微博
pts: PkyZq51PFLHonjzKdUDunzA52TDMR2tRrn

Offline swedespade

• View Profile
    • About me
Would you mind upload it to Youku?
I don't mind, but every time I try to upload the video it gets stuck at 99.9%.

Any ideas?

lzr1900

suggestions?
Would you mind upload it to Youku?
I found there was a bitshares thread(official ?):http://i.youku.com/u/UMTQzNzA2NTg2OA==

Offline swedespade

• View Profile
    • About me
so sad we(CHINA) can't access YouTube because GFW..

https://vimeo.com/97894638

pass = bitshares
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 05:31:49 am by swedespade »

Offline toast

• View Profile

lzr1900

Offline toast

• View Profile
* We will use a different voice actor (female voice from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5BjVn0nb4o )
* We have time to tweak the script

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_l6iorlLhk

mirror: https://vimeo.com/97894638
pass = bitshares

Feedback?
Known issues:
* "auction" scene is a bit unclear
* some timings are a bit awkward
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 03:07:27 pm by toast »