Author Topic: Non-Technical Delegates of the World Unite!  (Read 7886 times)

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
Re: Non-Technical Delegates of the World Unite!
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 08:50:50 am »
Fixed number of delegates is constraining the network with no scalability.

Isn't this effectively POS without the D?

Offline valzav

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 06:43:52 pm »

What I would suggest is for Bytemaster to setup a node in AWS (Amazon Web Services) and make an image that then is easy to configure for each delegate.

Probably more simple solution (you don't need to know how to fire up EC2 instance from image) - just use Vagrant and the config files from this repo https://github.com/valzav/vagrant_bitshares_toolkit
Basically after installing Vagrant and specifying your AWS credentials you need to fire up a single command to configure instance and compile bitshares_toolkit on it:
vagrant up --provider=aws

It also supports DigitalOcean or you can use your local VirtualBox VM to give it a try.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 06:53:55 pm »

What I would suggest is for Bytemaster to setup a node in AWS (Amazon Web Services) and make an image that then is easy to configure for each delegate.

Probably more simple solution (you don't need to know how to fire up EC2 instance from image) - just use Vagrant and the config files from this repo https://github.com/valzav/vagrant_bitshares_toolkit
Basically after installing Vagrant and specifying your AWS credentials you need to fire up a single command to configure instance and compile bitshares_toolkit on it:
vagrant up --provider=aws

It also supports DigitalOcean or you can use your local VirtualBox VM to give it a try.

+5% +5%  Excellent. 

I haven't tried this yet, but I love the idea.  Works across Digital Ocean, VirtualBox, and AWS.  Seems like a better solution than anything posted so far.  I'll have to go install Vagrant to see what it is about.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2014, 07:31:33 pm »
+5% nice controbution to the community.
Give BitShares a try! Use the http://testnet.bitshares.eu provided by http://bitshares.eu powered by ChainSquad GmbH

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2014, 09:06:52 pm »
Yep, I'm interested if it's not a large time commitment or technical barrier but it seems like at least right now it requires specialized knowledge I do not have, or really want to spend the time to learn.
Email me at [email protected]

Offline JakeThePanda

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 12:37:11 pm »
I'm one of the technically challenged and I'm willing to put in the time and investment. I just need the know how.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2014, 12:45:58 pm »
 +5%

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 11:43:57 pm »
Maybe dumb, but if you're short of delegates, have you considered reaching out to the NXT community?
If there's a profit incentive, maybe some of the people running NXT nodes may have the know how and the desire to become delegates if they're made aware of the opportunity.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2014, 12:08:55 am »
Maybe dumb, but if you're short of delegates, have you considered reaching out to the NXT community?
If there's a profit incentive, maybe some of the people running NXT nodes may have the know how and the desire to become delegates if they're made aware of the opportunity.

I would suggest that if competition heats up to be a delegate in this forum, delegates with a second (presumably much less important) community where they have become known and respected might go there to recruit enough cross-overs to get elected as a delegate.  Over time, I predict there will be one or more BitShares delegates from every major community - because that's where the votes may be easier to find.

Then all the radio and talk-show personalities will realize that they can recruit votes from their audiences.

Then people who belong to totally non-crypto communities (save the aardvarks!) will start drumming up supporters there.

It will come down to a contest of who can recruit the most new supporters from anywhere in the world where they can be found.  And all new recruits become BitShareholders.

If developers make their DAC delegate positions lucrative enough, the top 101 best crypto-evangelists in the world will be working to recruit more shareholders from people likely to support them.  They will have to keep doing it because to stand still is to be overtaken by more zealous evangelists.  It will become a good paying full time job bringing in new voters from outside the community.

(And THAT is our secret weapon.)

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline hasher

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 12:34:10 pm »
im prepared to be a delegate from the pr-tech side, my native language is rus, i speak eng, i have made significant contribution to rus cryptocommunity during last 1.5 years for promotion, research, education. im a single individual, not involved deeply to any "party" or community, i just know economy/finances and it-futurology fields very well and want to grow in this sphere, though i dont have enough finances or big connections to make a really huge impact.
thought a bit, non tech delegate need to have large audience, which i doesn't have, only 500-1000 unique hits in my community blog, thats not enough for intercontinental representative :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 12:54:03 pm by hasher »

Offline onceuponatime

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2014, 06:07:06 pm »
I am a non-tech.

I have a question of some concern regarding this thread. Will it be possible to be a delegate if one is travelling frequently with only a laptop in his possession? Presumably the laptop would be off at least during plane flights and possibly longer.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2014, 06:19:41 pm »
I am a non-tech.

I have a question of some concern regarding this thread. Will it be possible to be a delegate if one is travelling frequently with only a laptop in his possession? Presumably the laptop would be off at least during plane flights and possibly longer.

There are lots of ways to be a delegate while letting someone else provide and manage the hardware.  As competition heats up, people will be looking for discriminators.  Before long, most delegate candidates will turn the hardware operations over to proven experts to get their credibility and thus "check that square".  Otherwise, they will have to work extra hard to convince voters that they have the technical end well covered.

Hardware operators will have to work hard to demonstrate that they are not centralizing the network if a lot of people use their services and equipment.  Interesting design challenge, no?

So while hardware operators compete in that domain, people who are able to motivate voters will be competing to be the most trusted, best managed, and most helpful to the industry.  These are business and marketing and political skills.

IMHO those two kinds of skills (technical and business) will not typically reside in a single individual.

That said, it may be a while before competition heats up, during which time a likable person with an intermittently connected laptop might be in the top 101.  This is a chance for anyone to earn some profit before somebody out-competes them for their slot.  :)

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 06:48:38 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline onceuponatime

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2014, 07:20:10 pm »
I'm in!   :) :) :)

Offline soniq

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2014, 04:53:05 am »
Im looking for a link I seen earlier on how to setup a  delegate, cant seem to find now. Can you point me in right direction?

Also is it profitable right now to become a delegate? is there a break even point so far from existing delgates ?

Am I helping the network by keeping my bitsharesx wallet open?

Is there any other advantages to becoming a delegate other than supporting the  network?

I am interested in creatign a delegate, but do not have the technical expertise

Cheers
Pr7V9GUm59dtKWXG6RJSymPsyCaCKWwNEj
Soniq on Bitcointalk -- Verified
Bitshares btsx:soniq

Offline gamey

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2014, 02:39:15 pm »
Im looking for a link I seen earlier on how to setup a  delegate, cant seem to find now. Can you point me in right direction?

Also is it profitable right now to become a delegate? is there a break even point so far from existing delgates ?
It is not particularly profitable.  Profit will come later
Am I helping the network by keeping my bitsharesx wallet open?
This is a good question.  I am guessing, but likely an open wallet is only to allow user interaction.
Is there any other advantages to becoming a delegate other than supporting the  network?
Future potential is immense.
I am interested in creatign a delegate, but do not have the technical expertise
I have decided against running as one.  It requires a little time etc that I do not have. I'm still willing to help out anyone who I've previously discussed this with.
Cheers

http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/BitShares_X_Solutions#Delegate_HOW-TO
I speak for myself and only myself.