Author Topic: General marketing ideas & thoughts  (Read 14826 times)

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
A marketing idea would be someone to crate university lists and allocate a couple of unis to forum members. Forum members go to the respective web sites and het the emails of professors, students etc. All these emails are organized in a google spreadsheet and once all mailing lists are extracted you send them a professional presentation of bitshares. Make some bounties to people who extract the addresses to finish the list quickly..

another is to give ofcourse a small amount of bitshares to download the client and register.

finally you can give away bitshares to people who register and donate their other altcoins to a donation list that you approve. Stellar will do that for xrp so I expect xrp to no longer exist by next year..

merockstar

One question: Are we really expecting a real life business (albeit a techy one) like Overstock.com to try to run their business on BitShares?  In my view, this is highly unlikely.  I think it is far more likely that people will want to use BitShares to start some sort of business or fund some sort of new project.

Nah, BitShares will be the collateral backing bitUSD. That's what we're expecting them to try to run their business on :P

They could just use Bitcoin for now if they wanted a crypto more like BitShares, although that won't really scale.

Also, I think the token creation aspect is HUGE and should really be the focal point of any Bitcoin 2.0 efforts. The asset creation tool enabled by CounterParty, for example, is going to be mind-blowingly powerful and it is also relatively simple to understand and use.  Does BitShares provide a similar asset creation/exchange tool, and if so, should it not also be part of the main benefits presented in the marketing plan?

It's called BitShares ME. It's a separate DAC (although I think it's going to be implemented inside BitShares X if I understand correctly) and it's coming soon :)

Offline Captain_Picard

• View Profile
I've picked out a few favorites from the slogans you have all thrown out, but first, can anyone point me to a summary/video that will explain to me why BitShares is a good investment in less than 2 minutes of my time? 

If you have less than 2 minutes see this:
http://youtu.be/XaY_KIsouTY

If you have more try this:  ;)
http://youtu.be/5BV55IrZi7g

Thanks.  The short explainer video is actually not bad.  The slogan used is "BitShares Does For Business What Bitcoin Does For Money", which again is not bad, unless we want to distance ourselves from Bitcoin, which is a very interesting conversation all on its own.  I still think most of the BitShares buyers will be Bitcoin holders, because they understand the technology and some of them are still sitting on oodles of Bitcoin looking to diversify into other projects.  I am guessing most of Ethereum's fund raising is coming from Bitcoin holders.

One question: Are we really expecting a real life business (albeit a techy one) like Overstock.com to try to run their business on BitShares?  In my view, this is highly unlikely.  I think it is far more likely that people will want to use BitShares to start some sort of business or fund some sort of new project.

I see two main benefits of BitShares - efficiency for running a business and flexibility for starting/funding a business.  Again I think it is hard to imagine an existing business moving some or all of their functions over to a blockchain.  Instead, I see a whole new breed of businesses that begin on a blockchain.  So maybe BitShares is the easiest way to start a business or fund a new project.  At the end of the day, BitShares' value will be based on how many people use it.  "BitShares - Powering A Whole New Breed Of Business" comes to mind.

Also, I think the token creation aspect is HUGE and should really be the focal point of any Bitcoin 2.0 efforts. The asset creation tool enabled by CounterParty, for example, is going to be mind-blowingly powerful and it is also relatively simple to understand and use.  Does BitShares provide a similar asset creation/exchange tool, and if so, should it not also be part of the main benefits presented in the marketing plan?

I am still undecided on my vote for the slogan, but very interested in the community's thoughts on the above.

Offline GaltReport

Problem You Are Solving
Market Size
Sales and Profit Estimates

I would like to know this.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
One of the things I think we should emphasize is the ''Why?''. What makes it different from the rest. I mean, I've looked around and when I see a new project or altcoin, most of the time they don't explain this. What makes their project unique. Why should I give my time and effort to this? Why one should choose them over the others? And what happens when someone cannot explain this to you? You loose interest, you don't care because its just another project or alt with no concrete purpose.

As for the slogan, I dont think anything related to ''get money'' sounds attractive. Why? Because that's the objective of every other project or business. People will only look at it and not give it any importance because they have heard the same thing over and over again from other people trying to promote their own projects or coins or whatever. Again, I think we should emphasize on ''Why choose us'' or ''What makes us different'' and have a slogan related to that. That is something that will catch someone's attention. A slogan's objective should be to promote a product and catch peoples attention but giving them something they have already seen over and over again on a daily basis wont do any difference.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
What should be done about Marketing?

i would say everything you can think about. it is still early, so when the trading is possible then we should get the thing rolling. maybe some good point in the future will be the risk you have in trading when you broker trades against you or get bankrupt and you get nothing back. in my opionen i get the same adavantages in the future if i trade via bitshares X as i use bitcoin.

Advantage against old business model:

1. no trust in 3 party needed. so if i keep my privatkeys save i will not get loose my money because my broker is broke.
2. trading fees should be much cheaper then by the central exchanges

so maybe in the begining we should focus to 2. and when the next market crisis ocurres we will hit hard with 1.

just my 5 cents

Offline Geneko

• View Profile

I've picked out a few favorites from the slogans you have all thrown out, but first, can anyone point me to a summary/video that will explain to me why BitShares is a good investment in less than 2 minutes of my time? 

I think Jean Luc tried to point out to USP (Unique selling Proposition)
This is one of “ tools“ in marketing similar to those in coding if I may say so..
It is serious work and it should be done by profesionals.

Many people tried to point out that marketing effort should become more serious.
As Peter Drucker , one of the best-known bussiness guru said, all successfull business are based on two things
Inovation and Marketing
You have your Inovation – it is DACs. How about Marketing?

I strongly suggest we don't discuss:
What should be done about Marketing?
, rather
How to find best people to do this job for the community?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:07:04 pm by Geneko »

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Team Background and Past Success
Problem You Are Solving
Market Size

...busy professionals and investors will NEVER spend the time to weed through a large forum like this to learn about an investment.  They want someone that sounds (and has proven to be) trustworthy to tell them why they should wire funds in five minutes or less, preferably two.

You are completely right that we need this. We have a lot of information on the wikinow, so we need to repackage it for different purposes.

Currently we have one about BitShares X as a product http://bitshares-x.info/about.php
Why Chose BitShares (vs other products)? http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/Why_choose_Bitshares%3F
And general introduction to BitShares, http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/What_is_BitShares%3F

One of the issues with getting people to put money into the system is that we must avoid legal entanglements.. There is no outright deal where they put money in and BitShares can guarantee a share in this or that. With that said, I think the idea to package something like this,

Problem You Are Solving
Market Size

.. is a very good idea. At some point BitShares will need to focus hard on upping their valuation. We are currently under the illusion (?) that it will sort of catch on and pollinate the earth with the wind currents.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

If you have less than 2 minutes see this:
http://youtu.be/XaY_KIsouTY

If you have more try this:  ;)
http://youtu.be/5BV55IrZi7g

Offline Captain_Picard

• View Profile
Great discussion guys. I have a marketing background and understand the traditional investor's perspective pretty well.  I am just trying to get caught up on what BitShares has been up to over the last few months so I am the perfect guinea pig for your marketing efforts. 

From there, I think it might help us narrow our slogan selection and give us a better idea who our target market is and what our consistent message should be.  At least in my case, it is just not enough to say "amazing technology" or "very profitable DACs".  I'd like to see a concise summary that presents the relevant points that every investor will want to consider before making an investment in BitShares.

The standard VC wants to know the following at a glance:

Problem You Are Solving
Market Size

I know these points might be hard to quantify, and we are dealing with a totally different animal in crypto, but at the end of the day, we can't expect many people to just throw money on pure price speculation (worked well for awhile with a lot of newly minted Bit zillionaires but there is a lot of competition now). 

I am sure an investor's summary/new user intro to BitShares is probably available on this forum somewhere,  but again, busy professionals and investors will NEVER spend the time to weed through a large forum like this to learn about an investment.  They want someone that sounds (and has proven to be) trustworthy to tell them why they should wire funds in five minutes or less, preferably two.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Empirical, we don't have them on the homepage, because there's nothing to link to yet.  The sites are still under construction (bitsharesX, DACS unlimited, etc). When they're ready, I'd be happy to add them.  Bitshares.org will serve as a directory type of site, with links to specific DAC sites. B

+5% Cool.

Offline MktDirector

• View Profile
Empirical, we don't have them on the homepage, because there's nothing to link to yet.  The sites are still under construction (bitsharesX, DACS unlimited, etc). When they're ready, I'd be happy to add them.  Bitshares.org will serve as a directory type of site, with links to specific DAC sites. B

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
Paraphrasing some business quotes...

“There's no luck in business. There's only BitShares"

“If I love you, what BitShares-DAC is it of yours?”

“The best way to predict your future is to distribute on bitshares_toolkit”

“Price is what you pay. BitShares is what you get.”

“In the midst of chaos, there is also BitShares”

“Practice does not make BitShares. BitShares practice makes perfect.”

“BitShares builds trust.”

“The purpose of BitShares is to create and keep a customer.”

“You can’t tax BitShares. BitShares doesn’t pay taxes. It collects taxes.”   :P

“I'm not a businessman, I'm BitShares, man!”

The original's here:
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/business?page=1

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
use following slogan ( i am a chinese )

BTS, Be The Star! to the moon :-*

why do you think this forum has a lot of Chinese guys?

They know that they can't "Free their Money" with bitcoin. But they see this potential with Bitshares.

I don't know if 'Free your Money' says enough about Bitshares because you can say that about Bitcoin (even though it has flaws.) Why do you say they can't free their money with Bitcoin?

I agree with you about the Chinese guys though they are basically driving Bitshares volume at the moment.

BTC/PTS volume is only like $3000 daily, so basically on life support.
CNY/PTS is $14 000

So we should definitely put the slogans to the Chinese audience or ask them to come up with one that they feel speaks to them the most.

Hmm... Sounds good, but not great in English. Even though I suggested it, I guess we'd need a Chinese site really. Which I don't think is on the agenda for now.

Other marketing thoughts:

1. Counterparty seems to be having some of the same marketing problems, so even though I'd like to see Brian a lot more active on this forum and others, both getting involved in understanding and promoting Bitshares better, it is perhaps not as much as a Bitshares specific crisis as I initially supposed. (I think the main target market in the development stage is a small subset of the alt-coin investor market, if you don't appreciate Crypto-currency and haven't made the effort to invest in anything more than Bitcoin, then you're unlikely to understand and make the effort to get into Bitshares at this stage, so I still think they should be our target more than the mainstream at this stage.) 

2. Having a look at all the suggestions we came up with I have to admit, Brian's suggestion was my favourite and except for the Bitcoin reference, his initial

'Doing for business what Bitcoin is doing for money' isn't that bad. Maybe 'Doing for business what crypto-currency is doing for money.'?

The thing I wanted to solve was communicating Bitshares is an angel fund that gets you a stake in a lot of future DAC's, but if there are some DAC/Industry icons on the homepage/web advert that should do the job.

Question: Brian is the reason we don't have any DAC/Industry icons on the homepage at the moment because you don't think it's a good idea (which is fine) or for legal reasons? 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 11:08:34 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline sfinder

• 4 Cores CPU+100GB SSD+anti-DDoS Pro
    • View Profile
use following slogan ( i am a chinese )

BTS, Be The Star! to the moon :-*

They know that they can't "Free their Money" with bitcoin. But they see this potential with Bitshares.

I don't know if 'Free your Money' says enough about Bitshares because you can say that about Bitcoin (even though it has flaws.) Why do you say they can't free their money with Bitcoin?

I agree with you about the Chinese guys though they are basically driving Bitshares volume at the moment.

CNY/PTS is $14 000

So we should definitely put the slogans to the Chinese audience or ask them to come up with one that they feel speaks to them the most.
微博:星在飘我在找|BTS X 受托人delegate ID:baidu
中国教育书店合作将20%收入捐献给贫困山区学生。
Cooperating with China Education Bookstore and will donate 20% of delegate income to the poor students

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile

CNY/PTS is $14 000

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Fine. Forget about "high profits and yields".

But please focus on "Free your money" and "security of your wealth by protocol"

The only reason I invested in bitshares is because a brilliant mind had a brilliant idea. You don't need always Governments to control your money. YOU can control your money by creating a secure decentralised p2p banking system and exchanging wealth between other people directly without any Governmental manipulation.

Where Bitcoin's PoW and not true decentralisation failed, Bitshares should succeed.

It is inevitable that private money will exist in the future. We will soon have millions of cryptocoins from everyone of us, supermarket coins, different banks coins, government cryptocoins. All these will need the best decentralised and secured bank to get traded. Whatever asset decides anyone to hold will depend on his needs.

Bitshares has to be the ultimate bank backing all these assets. We need therefore a slogan very powerful that people outside crypto will understand and invest new money soon. If only cryptogeeks understand the potential of Bitshares what we will achieve in the best scenario is taking some of Bitcoin's market cap, but then existing bitcoin whales will manipulate bitshares as they want. I have no doubt that we the initial investors will make profits but Bitshares will never reach it's true potential.

People need to understand why a bitusd = usd.

"Secure your wealth and Free your Money in a decentralised autonomous banking exchange where robots work for the prosperity of humanity"

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
I really don't think all those generic slogans would work well. We *have* to emphasize what our actual innovations are or else it just marketing spam which turns the only people we have any hope of investing (rich crypto geeks) off

Sorry but I have to seriously disagree here with you...

I believe that rich crypto geeks, once bitshares is out there will know if it is something good to invest or not irrespective of whatever slogan you make...These are the smart guys who understand what is happening here...The product will convince these guys. ;)

You want to attract the other guys. The guys who invest in "real world" stocks and fiat fx trading. the ones that are desperately looking for an innovation to invest. The ones that currently just know bitcoin, they have missed that train and they know they have missed it but actually are looking to invest in the next best thing.

Fine, suppose we're targeting traditional investors instead of crypto geeks. How does "invest smart" and "high profits" tell them that we're anything to do with bitcoin technology? Do you think there's anyone NOT telling them that "we have a smart investment, you will make money!".
Fine
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile

Same applies to myself who I am Greek. Our Government change the rules every now and then.. They can easily impose taxes on bitcoin, forbit transactions etc etc...They can't do that with Bitshares.

"Free your Money" for me is the most powerful slogan I saw so far!!

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 08:27:14 pm by Zeus »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
+5% for everything .. ensured by protocol

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
I really don't think all those generic slogans would work well. We *have* to emphasize what our actual innovations are or else it just marketing spam which turns the only people we have any hope of investing (rich crypto geeks) off

Sorry but I have to seriously disagree here with you...

I believe that rich crypto geeks, once bitshares is out there will know if it is something good to invest or not irrespective of whatever slogan you make...These are the smart guys who understand what is happening here...The product will convince these guys. ;)

You want to attract the other guys. The guys who invest in "real world" stocks and fiat fx trading. the ones that are desperately looking for an innovation to invest. The ones that currently just know bitcoin, they have missed that train and they know they have missed it but actually are looking to invest in the next best thing.

Offline toast

• View Profile
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
BitShares: Free your money

+5% +5% +5% This is a very powerful slogan!!

"Protect your money. Bitshares"
"Invest smart. Bitshares"
"Invest in a new technology and realise high yields. Bitshares"

I don't like the approach of of Robots replacing humans... Rich people (who you want to invest fresh money on the system) are not necessarily clever to understand that. They will think that this is a scam...

Blockchain will be a mainstream world once a government or a bank uses it to create a new coin and crash bitcoin... I think we have a couple of years for that day to come.

Usual people want to find alternative investments that will increase their yield and secure their retirement. They want to listen slogans like:

Free your money
New alternative investments
High profits / yields
Invest in new technology
Invest now in Bitshares and retire sooner
Plan your retirement carefully. Bitshares
First get their attention and then they will learn about blockchain and dacs and robots...Just my 2 bts anyway...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 07:54:33 pm by Zeus »

Offline CLains

• View Profile
BitShares - Businesses powered by Blockchain Technology

technology?

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
"nothing to loose... much to gain!"
"bitshares"
  ;)

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
Bitshares - Your Share in future business

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
I like:
Better Businesses through Blockchains

Only problem is using a term that isn't readily known (blockchains).    But I like how short it is and the use of alliteration. b

+5% That's probably my favourite so far. (I don't mind using one new word like 'blockchain' in a few months those words will be a lot more mainstream.)

My main concern was communicating owning Bitshares gets you a stake in a lot of different DAC's but if we have some Bitshares linked DAC icons on the homepage at some point then that should communicate it. 

I got

Bitshares  - 'Real decentralisation. Real profits'

(Some competitors Bitcoin/Ethereum etc. are not really decentralised and Bitcoin etc. is not really profitable.)

Others -

Bitshares- 'Replacing buldings with blockchains because it's better for business' 

Bitshares - 'Bringing liberty, prosperity & truth back to business' 

Bitshares  - 'Merchant ships bound for The New World of decentralised business.'

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile
I like:

Only problem is using a term that isn't readily known (blockchains).    But I like how short it is and the use of alliteration. b

That would be the perfect opportunity for people to watch a short video about blockchains...how much would it cost to have one professionally done?

I believe one reason people hesitate to enter the space is lack of understanding when it comes to the foundation, as well as core purpose & principles of the blockchain
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline fuzzy

I like:

That would be the perfect opportunity for people to watch a short video about blockchains...how much would it cost to have one professionally done?
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline toast

• View Profile
I like:

+5% +5%

I actually think it's ok that it's a term that might be slightly intimidating. "If you don't know what a blockchain is, you better catch up quick, or these guys will leave you in the dust!"

Offline MktDirector

• View Profile
I like:

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
bitshares. Only for smart shareholders/investors (choose)

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
Profit by protocol, security by design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+5% +5% +5%

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
"bitshares gives your lost shares of freedom back"

"takes your lost shares of freedom back. bitshares"

"take your lost shares of freedom back with bitshares"

bitbro

BitShares: Free your money

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Anywhere there are unfair barriers to entry to those who could meet a need, or unfair access barriers to those who have a need, there is the opportunity for Sovereign DACs to make a market.

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline toast

• View Profile
I like Stan's point about making a point to emphasize the difference/advantage of DACs over traditional companies. The DAC metaphor already conjures ideas of businesses. We need to say, "here is how we can replace some businesses with autonomous systems". Our target is not existing businesses but entrepreneurial spirits looking to replace corrupt centralized entities

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
"bitshares revalues your bussines"

"let's make some real ... bitshares"

"Can you reimagine bussines? bitshares"

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
something like...

"Make robots/DACs your slaves... NOT your brothers !!!"

« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 01:26:09 am by liondani »

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
I don't like your approach...
We must say the same thing but differently... with more respect to humanity even if you are basically right...
Tomorrow i will make my suggestion.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 01:32:35 am by liondani »

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
An original theme that doesn't seem to get much mention is the fact that DACs won't cheat you like human organizations can.  As people encounter more and more corruption (whether by seduction or coercion) the need for robotically honest companies will become ever more clear.  To me, that's the main reason for going with DACs.  Centralized human regulated organizations would be easier to implement, if you could just trust them.

Who ya gonna trust?

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline D4vegee

• View Profile
Bitten by the Bank? ... Bitshares, your bits. your bytes.

bitbro

Money saved by protocol, total security by design

bitbro

Profit by protocol, security by design

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Freedom by protocol
Profit by protocol
Security by design

bitbro

Zeus, I like where your head's at.

No error, all progress.

Just progress.

The best in cryptographic business.

The ultimate free market.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
I don't think the slogan should have the words bitcoin, blockchain, DAC...

"The future of Business. Bitshares"

"Bitshares...For people who like profits"

"Get your share in the evolution. Bitshares"

"Get Bitshares and retire soon"

"Stop worrying about organisation and profits. Play safe and buy Bitshares"

"Remove the human errors and buy now your Bitshares"

"Automated profitable Business models. Bitshares"

bitbro

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 01:46:58 am by bitbro »

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
ooohhhh.... I liked the carousel idea!! +5%

Offline toast

• View Profile
Maybe we could have a carousel that goes through a few different slogans. It's a tough concept to capture with just a few words.

"Application-specific Blockchains"
"Crypto-equity backed by services"

[hate]

I'm sure he would love to not have to wade through all our shitty suggestions, but he got shit in the past for not getting feedback from the forum.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
I've been thinking a lot lately about our slogan "Bitshares does for...." 

Yes, it may have been a way at one time to piggyback on the rising star that is Bitcion and all the buzz it's generated over the years....but now?  With the 51% attack issue now a real (and no longer imagined) possibility, as well as other major flaws with Bitcoin, your points are valid. Rather than hitching our slogan to the Bitcoin star, we may be hitching it to an (eventual) sinking stone.   We should consider changing that slogan to something else soon....

So perhaps we start a bounty to come up with a new slogan? I like the direction of some of the ones already posted.  This is a challenge because creating a catch phrase that also describes what Bitshares does, and keeping it brief, will be a challenge...further thoughts? B

Oh well, so much for needing a 100k p.a. Marketing Director...

Brian Page is a trends investor, entrepreneur and marketing specialist with a passion for building the next great brand.
His primary talent is the ability to craft a simple message that's relevant, consistent and recognizable.

Which university you graduated from? Do you have a MBA?

I think I should write an article about the nature of constructive criticism... There has been a lot of destructive trash talk like this (although less than on other forums) from a few individuals.

+5%, I'm not one to walk on eggshells and am happy to criticize people, to protect my investments, but you're attitude is terrible and unless you can show you're contributing positive ideas yourself and not just complaining then I'm sure everybody will just ignore you.

Also the line you used 'So much for needing a 100k p.a. marketing director' is the line I used when it seemed we wouldn't be involved with any marketing for DAC's in another thread.

So I would prefer it if you quoted me, as opposed to writing it verbatim, as the way you've done it now, it kind of looks like your account could be me in disguise or something.

For the record I'm not DonJoe.

Offline toast

• View Profile
I think I should write an article about the nature of constructive criticism... There has been a lot of destructive trash talk like this (although less than on other forums) from a few individuals.

+5%  some good suggestions interlaced with useless ad hominems. Are you trying to get him to ignore you?

Come back later under your real account, hop on a monthly hangout with Brian, and give specific suggestions.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

Yes, it may have been a way at one time to piggyback on the rising star that is Bitcion and all the buzz it's generated over the years....but now?  With the 51% attack issue now a real (and no longer imagined) possibility, as well as other major flaws with Bitcoin, your points are valid. Rather than hitching our slogan to the Bitcoin star, we may be hitching it to an (eventual) sinking stone.   We should consider changing that slogan to something else soon....

So perhaps we start a bounty to come up with a new slogan? I like the direction of some of the ones already posted.  This is a challenge because creating a catch phrase that also describes what Bitshares does, and keeping it brief, will be a challenge...further thoughts? B

Brian Page is a trends investor, entrepreneur and marketing specialist with a passion for building the next great brand.
His primary talent is the ability to craft a simple message that's relevant, consistent and recognizable.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile

+5%

Maybe the startjoin approach could work, where they say 'crowdfunding with crypto currencies' followed by 'revolutionary technology powered by revolutionary ideas' underneath.

It would be great (preferable) if we could get a slogan that is catchy and describes what Bitshares is, but if not a brief descriptor followed by a catchy slogan might work too.

Offline DonJoe

• View Profile

bitbro

People came up with these in  another thread called Bitshares Slogans:

Achieving higher profits through blockchain technology

Revolutionizing business operations through blockchain technology

Streamlining businesses through blockchain technology

Revolutionizing business with blockchain technology

Revolutionizing industries through blockchain technology

Pursuing perfection with blockchain technology

Perfecting business with blockchain technology

Optimizing business with blockchain technology

Pursuing perfect blockchain businesses

Optimizing business one blockchain at a time

P2P for B2B
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 01:44:08 am by bitbro »

Offline MktDirector

• View Profile

Offline CLains

• View Profile
Explaining Bitshares X, Insurance, and many of the other things require an understanding of prediction markets, which needs to be in the "etc." category and explained separately; it takes some effort to understand and deserves its its own kind of pitch..
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 02:20:08 pm by CLains »

Offline CLains

• View Profile
"BitShares Does for Business what Bitcoin Does for Money"

This is an excellent start. And the introduction video as well. However, to make it less vague we now need a fuller explanation of how the analogy works. I suggest we unify the explanations with the following strategy..

We do this by explaining Bitcoin, by pointing out the fact that there is no BANK, no central trust or authority that controls the printing of bitcoin (yet it has billions of dollars market cap). We use the graphic of OLD bank sitting up high and the users being on the mercy of this giant entity. Transition into how Bitcoin works, NEW the bank dissembles into a million bits that are stored on computers every where in the world.

Now we say that BitShares does to companies, what Bitcoin does to the bank. However, people will still feel that this is impossible, and it won't make sense, so we need to focus on the best examples and point out that the above graphic will work just the same for many businesses. To do this we start with the best examples.

First, we do a one armed bandit where the graphic works identically as a metaphor for LOTTO; there is the same issue of  OLD centralized trust and the same relief when NEW bits are distributed to everyone. Second we do this for p2p, where OLD ICANN is the central authority that NEW gets abolished to the benefit of the many. Third, perhaps exchange or identity.. etc. Sum: Everyone can own a share, a BitShare of each new decentralized business model.

After a few examples with the identical metaphor and analogy, but not before, we have built up enough goodwill to do the ETC.-move by simply listing things like exchanges, funds, banking, charity, etc. Thus, while we start with explaining Bitcoin, people will see that there is an underlying and much more important pattern in play that can dramatically shape the future of capitalism.

"The Revolution Will Not be Centralized"

"Capitalism 2.0"
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 02:21:39 pm by CLains »

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile

I like getting away from using bitcoin but if the slogan is meant for people outside of the crypto community then they will have no idea what blockchain technology is.

true...we need something else:

"Bitshares does for Business what Internet did for Information".

"Bitshares ==> The Ultimate profitable Business that will change the future"

"Re evaluate your business plans ==> Bitshares"

"The future of profitable Business ==> Bitshares"

"Bitshares is how Business will operate in the future"

"Bitshares, the business model that cut all running costs by distributing them as profits to its Shareholders"

"The revolution of Business has began. Bitshares!"

"Evolving Business opertation. Bitshares"

Offline gamey

• View Profile
I like getting away from using bitcoin but if the slogan is meant for people outside of the crypto community then they will have no idea what blockchain technology is.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
"Bitshares does for business what blockchain technology does for money"
or
"Bitshares does for business what blockchain innovation does for money"

+5%

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
I think it is safe to change a little bit our slogan to...

"Bitshares does for business what bitcoin dreams for money"
or
"Bitshares does for business what bitcoin dreamed for money"
or
"Bitshares does for business what bitcoin should for money:)  :P

even if bitcoin never fails we state that we are always some steps forward...
if they fail nobody will blame as because we follow a "dream", a vision...

or better move "bitcoin" out...

"Bitshares does for business what blockchain technology does for money"
or
"Bitshares does for business what blockchain innovation does for money"
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 09:04:14 pm by liondani »

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
Something you may want to consider...

The slogan "Bitshares does for business what bitcoin does for money" may hit us back... It is good for crypto investors but really bad if you want to attract new investors outside crypto...

Many people in the outside world liaise bitcoin as a buble, ponzi, drugs, scams, no value, crap...

I think that we should liaise bitshares with other concepts: 

investing in a new technology, a new financial asset, a technological miracle, the stock of the internet business, the companies of the future that operate autonomous and make profit to shareholders and things like that.

Please stop liaising Bitshares and DACs with bitcoin. Bitcoin might eventually fail and get replaced by another cryptocurrency issued by banks or governments once more and more people get more familiar with these kind of transactions. Bitcoin showed us the light in this new amazing technology but long term will most probably fail (remember Napster?). Not yet but sooner or later... We do not want to liaise bitshares with the future failure of bitcoin...

+5%

after all we have our unique revolutionary blockchain technology (not like mastercoin,counterparty, etc. that are bitcoin depended)

Offline gamey

• View Profile
That's a good idea, I can't see that many people clicking on audio link though and also where would we put it on the forum/website so that a casual investor easily finds this stuff, I think I have an idea, might be similar to Fuzznuts stuff but I'll make a new thread for it in a bit.

To me, the nice thing about audio is you can listen to it in the background and get the idea of what is going on. If you want to relisten to it, you go back to the page and rewind a few minutes. People listen to radio/TV all the time in preference over reading things.  Listen to podcasts while working, etc...

The main idea is that it leverages work that is already done.  If someone wanted to transcribe it, that would be better yet.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Something you may want to consider...

The slogan "Bitshares does for business what bitcoin does for money" may hit us back... It is good for crypto investors but really bad if you want to attract new investors outside crypto...

Many people in the outside world liaise bitcoin as a buble, ponzi, drugs, scams, no value, crap...

I think that we should liaise bitshares with other concepts: 

investing in a new technology, a new financial asset, a technological miracle, the stock of the internet business, the companies of the future that operate autonomous and make profit to shareholders and things like that.

Please stop liaising Bitshares and DACs with bitcoin. Bitcoin might eventually fail and get replaced by another cryptocurrency issued by banks or governments once more and more people get more familiar with these kind of transactions. Bitcoin showed us the light in this new amazing technology but long term will most probably fail (remember Napster?). Not yet but sooner or later... We do not want to liaise bitshares with the future failure of bitcoin... 

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
The beyond  bitcoin dev hangout is pretty close to a weekly update. Every Saturday Dan spends I would estimate 15 or so minutes going over what has been done. Although I have been putting a bit of time trying to make the show larger it serves the dual purpose of a weekly update.

In fact fuzznuts always wanted the show to be a source of material for other producers of content. So following that plan we could use the part where dan gives his update into a short n sweet 5 - 10 min audio clip and post it separately as part of a weekly update.

That's a good idea, I can't see that many people clicking on audio link though and also where would we put it on the forum/website so that a casual investor easily finds this stuff, I think I have an idea, might be similar to Fuzznuts stuff but I'll make a new thread for it in a bit.

Offline testz

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

Bitshare Friend

These are DAC's that wish to honour Bitshares holders. However for whatever reason we can merely list them on the forum and encourage the community to get behind them but are unable to direct many additional resources from the marketing team to their promotion.

This is why having a virtual conference and meetup center (currently the mumble server) could serve a very important purpose.  We could have (and likely will have) community voice sessions with the DAC creators/community.

Having a low barrier to entry, largely in house content-production system that will be put into the beyond bitcoin show series...

+5%
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
agreed - many good ideas ..  +5%
i'll dive more into tomorrow ...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 01:13:03 am by cass »
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline gamey

• View Profile
The beyond  bitcoin dev hangout is pretty close to a weekly update. Every Saturday Dan spends I would estimate 15 or so minutes going over what has been done. Although I have been putting a bit of time trying to make the show larger it serves the dual purpose of a weekly update.

In fact fuzznuts always wanted the show to be a source of material for other producers of content. So following that plan we could use the part where dan gives his update into a short n sweet 5 - 10 min audio clip and post it separately as part of a weekly update.

Offline fuzzy

Bitshare Friend

These are DAC's that wish to honour Bitshares holders. However for whatever reason we can merely list them on the forum and encourage the community to get behind them but are unable to direct many additional resources from the marketing team to their promotion.

This is why having a virtual conference and meetup center (currently the mumble server) could serve a very important purpose.  We could have (and likely will have) community voice sessions with the DAC creators/community.

Having a low barrier to entry, largely in house content-production system that will be put into the beyond bitcoin show series...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 12:15:53 am by fuznuts »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
This is an awe-inspiring piece of work.
Worthy of being bumped periodically to see how we are doing.
Much appreciated!

:)

Offline Amazon

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Forum
very solid points. Can't agree more.  +5%
Forum Donation: PforumPLfVQXTi4QpQqKwoChXHkoHcxGuA

Offline toast

• View Profile
 +5%  lots of good stuff to consider

Offline bitcoinba

• View Profile

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Weekly update thread/show

Casual investors are easily lost with the amount of information scattered around and goings on in Bithshares, including myself. I would estimate that there are probably only +- 25 forum members that are up to date with most of the activites.

The weekly update could be a cliff note summary of the interesting & relevant things that have been happening in the Bitshares ecosystem during the week. Even better if it was webcam delivered max 10 minutes and is at a consistent time.

Basically something that allows a busy professional to keep up to speed at one location with what's been going on in the Bitshares ecosystem with only 10-15 min of his time per week. 

Promotion Team Thread

There might be something like this already, but basically the idea is a thread to act as a central hub for co-ordinating, managing Bitshares threads on various other sites. 

When there is an opportunity to promote Bitshares in a popular thread on another site then any member can post a link to it on the Promotion Team thread  hopefully some of the team, as well as other available forum members will go over and promote and educate people in the discussion on Bitshares & its advantages.

Example: If a popular thread/discussion on Bitcoin's centralised mining vulnerability is happening on Reddit, that may be a great place to bring up Bitshares & DPOS. 

If a couple of forum members and marketing (In their free time)  made a few posts educating people on Bitshares on threads like these, it would have a lot more impact than most forms of paid advertising imo. 

Key Marketing Graphics

A picture says a thousand words.

1. A good infographic explaining how Bitshares works that we can post on various social media

This is an infographic explaining how Kickstarter works as an example
http://www.alleywatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/kickstarter-the-science-of-crowdfunding_50290aa03d26e.jpg

2. A graphic updated every two months or so showing the current structure of the Bitshares Ecosystem and parts under construction would be good too.

Consistent Monthly/Quarterly Snapshot Dates

Rather than investors having to worry about keeping their Bitshares in their wallet and not on an exchange all the time. If you had a consistent specified monthly/quartely date on which snapshots regularly took place it could make things a lot simpler.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
DAC groupings and roadmap

Is Bitshares a Jack of all DAC's but a master of none?

Bitshares Core   

Even before we've started releasing DAC's I think the whole Bitshares experience, as well as it's been laid out in the forum (I like it) is confusing, overwhelming and hard to value for the casual mainstream investor. Personally I think investors maybe even I3 need something to clearly focus & hang their valuation hat on...

The Big Five (The top 4/5 DAC's BM & team think have the most potential.)

'At Bitshares we're creating a foundation for a wide range of profitable DAC's as we transition into what we believe will be an entirely new age for business. As one of our slogans says - 'may a million DAC's blossom!' However in the coming 18 months we are also focusing our team on going further with five of the DAC's that we think have the most potential to really shake up the world and become market leaders in their respective industries in a short space of time.

They are...

So as a Bitshares holder not only will you get equity in potentially hundreds of exciting DAC's in the coming years but you will also get premium equity (If you purchase before a DAC's respective snapshot date) in what we think are going to be some of the biggest and most successful digital companies of the future. These DAC's will not only be created by us but will also receive significant additional support and marketing assistance so that they stand the best chance of achieving a first mover, market dominant position. 

Take a look at our Big Five page to learn more about these DAC's and to view current expected snapshot dates as well as their up to date development timelines.'  (Here we list those top 5 DAC's of which I think Bitshares X is definitely one. We can then really direct our focus and perhaps even the mainstream forum onto these ones as well as from a marketing resources perspective as well.)

Bitshares Partner

I think it's even important to create some focus among non I3 DAC's.

I3 and the community can't effectively help market a slew of random DAC's, it's just going to get incredibly unclear and cloudy imo. As I said I think even now, I think the forum would seem slightly overwhelming to the casual investor.

I would suggest aiming to promote & establish only 1 main partner DAC a month.

The partner DAC would be promoted on the website for that month with the countdown to it's snapshot.
Our graphics guy would also create a Graphic Advert as well as an infographic for the partner DAC that could be posted on various social media and used to market the launch. The advert could just be something creative and catchy while the infographic could also contain market information about the market that DAC is targeting and attempting to disrupt etc.

Ideally we will build up relationships with a couple of websites and we can try help get some initial press for the DAC too. (If we choose our partner DAC's carefully, then after a few successful launches, I could even see the likes of Coindesk running a Bitshares monthly DAC type feature.) I can even see other DAC's we didn't create requesting to receive the coveted monthly spot because we do such a good job of focusing on and helping to launch that one DAC during that month.

After the Snapshot Date the marketing then becomes mainly the responsibility of the partner in charge of that DAC and hopefully our community who will support it.

Bitshare Friend

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
I was complaining last week that the marketing was a weak point & I said I would try put together any thoughts and ideas I had that were marketing related, hopefully there will be one or two things in here that could be useful,

Homepage & Branding suggestions

I think people visiting the homepage should say - 'Oh, OK that's what Bitshares are, that sounds exciting!'

At the moment I think it's vague and unclear, you have very little idea about what Bitshares is when looking at the homepage.

Slogan: 'Doing for business what Bitcoin is doing for money' -It's actually not bad and kind of enticing, but it's pretty vague, You wouldn't know what Bitshares is from the slogan.   (Laymen already link Bitshares to Bitcoin and the slogan makes it sound even more like we may be some type of offshoot imo.)

Maybe something like, Bitshares 'Get your stake in all the DAC's we help create!' or even the one I've seen used 'Creating the foundation for profitable DAC's' (Or you can use 'Digital Companies' in place of DAC's.) At least it would be simpler & clearer what Bitshares is.

Visuals:  Man on computer, Woman or computer, two people looking at a view? Again incredibly vague, You wouldn't know what Bitshares is from the visuals. As some have suggested it looks more like a dating than a business site.

If you were just going to use a photo, the startjoin mainpage of boy with wings on his back about to take off is the kind of thing that makes a lot more sense... https://www.startjoin.com/
Their main slogan 'Crowdfunding with crypto currencies' also clearly explains the concept which is then followed by their 'revolutionary ideas powered by revolutionary technology' slogan which has the same feel as our  'Doing for Business what Bitcoin is doing for money' but at least they've explained the concept clearly first. 

& if you were going to fade to anything, fade to a group picture of the staff imo. 

Personally as the homepage I would have a graphic clearly showing owning Bitshares makes you part of a family of DAC's.
Either the Bitshares logo with the upcoming DAC's creatively grouped around it, or somehow showing completed DAC's as branded buildings on a skyline and future ones under construction. (Even like the image at 0.57 on the Bitshares video but where the Bank has the BitsharesX branding etc.)

Video: The video is actually pretty good in that it gives you more of an idea of what a Bitshare is. But you are still not clear as to the opportunity or reason for buying Bitshares specifically.

This is rough but perhaps it could use something like this on the end of the video -

'We believe that these digital companies will soon rival the largest banks, exchanges, insurance & media companies in the world as we transition into what we believe will be an entirely new age for business. At Bitshares we are developing some of the most promising key digital companies ourselves as well as providing our cutting edge technology & expertise to others in exchange for equity.

As a Bitshares holder you get a stake in every DAC we help create! Why don't you take a look at our countdown page to learn about some of the digital companies that are being launched soon & which buying Bitshares now would make you a part of!'

Other:

For the actual individual customer facing companies yes, we will want to go mainstream but Bitshares is an angel investment fund. Your first stage audience is going to be crypto savvy younger investors, 70%+ male 20-38 & then if you get the marketing right and/or have a success perhaps some older higher net worth sophisticated investors/funds - again predominately male. I think that demographic wants to be pitched the opportunity in a clear concise & exciting way.

Other homepage suggestions

- A 'Buy Bitshares' link on homepage

- A Tracker showing current Bitshares price on homepage

-  A Tracker that shows what $1000 of Bitshares purchased on 1/1/14 would be worth today. (By adding the current Bitshares price to the current value of shares that stake would have got you in  Bitshares DAC's.)   - Probably better to include after Bitshares X launch.