Author Topic: Need Help Sourcing Information on BitShares  (Read 10402 times)

Offline fuzzy

The community doesn't approach people like that.  One person questioned you.  TBH, as this thread was progressing I thought it was a setup for you to troll Bitshares.  I'm still not sure what to think.

I started this thread to ask for help and some people like toast were very kind to provide it. Then I was asked questions and gave an honest opinion. Then I was called a jargon pumper to which I replied that is an example why you guys are having adoption problems. Now you're entertaining the notion that my grand plan is to troll bitshares. Jesus how petty.

If anyone wants to provide information you feel should be in the udemy course then please email me at charles.Hopkinton@gmail.com. To the forum moderators, please delete my account. I have no desire to interact with this community anymore. Good luck all.

Wait a second...lets get this straight, you come here seeking our opinions,  and because someone offends you by not trusting your motives (after walking away from 2 projects--both times with little to no real explanation btw) you ask to have your account deleted?   
I still dont trust you but im willing to tip you for your offer to help ...and somehow you r upset by our community "bashing" you and Adam?
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline gamey

• View Profile
I do most sincerely apologize to anyone who sees me as screwing things up. I like to challenge and argue.  Dan's openness to be challenged is a part of why I started hanging around here and looking at the technology.

As far as calling Charles a troll.  I also think he was genuinely looking for information, but sophisticated people have multiple agendas going at any one time.  Thats life.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 02:55:52 pm by gamey »
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline jwiz168

• View Profile
hey Gamey cool down man, you have pissed the guy. That's it. Move on buddy. To Charles good riddance. Bitshares go forward and let X be polished and ready for launch.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
The community doesn't approach people like that.  One person questioned you.  TBH, as this thread was progressing I thought it was a setup for you to troll Bitshares.  I'm still not sure what to think.

I started this thread to ask for help and some people like toast were very kind to provide it. Then I was asked questions and gave an honest opinion. Then I was called a jargon pumper to which I replied that is an example why you guys are having adoption problems. Now you're entertaining the notion that my grand plan is to troll bitshares. Jesus how petty.

If anyone wants to provide information you feel should be in the udemy course then please email me at charles.hoskinson@gmail.com. To the forum moderators, please delete my account. I have no desire to interact with this community anymore. Good luck all.

It is not being petty at all.  I mean, you pretty much took the guy's one insult to attack Bitshares as a whole.  It almost seemed like you were waiting for a moment to pull the trigger.  Just like questioning about who is tasked with education.  I tend to believe you're aware enough that it was a rhetorical question. So to me, it appeared as a troll job. 

Bitshares problems are pretty obvious.  I think you nailed them quite well.  Looking at the number of "founders" on Ethereum, I start to understand how they blew up in the space.

Some  around here are not taken in by celebrity names or feel the need to kowtow.  So don't take what a few of us have to say as a reason to dislikes Bitshares.

I'm pretty sure Dan and his team are working very hard to get a product launched.  Yet I don't think they've done very well on  other fronts.  I am in the process of learning more about Ethereum and I am feeling that even with the delays, we will see running third-party DACs off the Bitshares platform first. 

Still a fan of your Udemy series on Bitcoin.  I've recommended it to people new to BTC before.  True story.

charleshoskinson

If anyone wants to provide information you feel should be in the udemy course then please email me at charles.hoskinson@gmail.com. To the forum moderators, please delete my account. I have no desire to interact with this community anymore. Good luck all.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

It's actually easy to construct this data using modern marketing software suites and yes we did for the 2.0 space. Bitshares isn't doing well. To be fair, the survey was only done in English and thus there could be uncaptured chinese traffic, but take a step back and think about how your community approaches people.

Adam does more attacking of the community than being attacked.  He never has anything constructive to say.  Go reread his posts.  I would reconsider comparing yourself to him.  I know *you* understand the concept of constructive criticism.  I had an issue with Adam when he blew up over I3's decision to fix the problem where the Chinese guy accidentally donated several times the daily average to AGS.  I still think it was the right move on their part, but Adam flipped out over "changing the rules".  What would you have done ?

On a most sincere note, may I ask why do you think Ethereum took off like it has ?  I tend to think that because of the nature of technology allowed an emulator to be created which drew in devs.  Dan's approach is to go from the bottom up and so there is nothing any developer can play with.  I wonder if it wasn't a mistake on their part to not have made a blockchain emulator so that developers could have started working on applications months ago.  Vitalik also has a much larger visibility in the space than Dan ever has.

I'm personally looking forward to seeing your explanation of Bitshares in your courses.

charleshoskinson

what is your measure there charles?

+5 for xeroc and toast for the info source

In terms of the chinese, a subjective assessment of the volume of threads in your forum that are negative.  In terms of the community size,  a combination of the amount of meetup groups, reddit volume, mentions on social media channels like twitter and Facebook as well as the amount of mentions of invictus products in the media.

It's actually easy to construct this data using modern marketing software suites and yes we did for the 2.0 space. Bitshares isn't doing well. To be fair, the survey was only done in English and thus there could be uncaptured chinese traffic, but take a step back and think about how your community approaches people.

1. Bitcoin is a poorly designed DAC. 2. We are better because idea xyz. 3. Idea xyz has to be changed. 4. The change is poorly communicated and frustrates evangelizists. 5. Repeat cycle a few more times. 6. When people like charles and adam point out problems, then attack them. 7. Repeat cycle some more.

As I said before, I don't have a dog in this fight and if I did, then things would be different. It's just insulting to call a mathematician with deep technical skills a jargon pumping salesmen. It makes me less passionate about explaining bitshares in my course. 

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Charles I think you have potential.  However, I'm starting to think you're just a jargon pumper: you still believe crypto currency is the correct metaphor

And you guys wonder why you have the smallest 2.0 community and why the chinese are revolting.
what is your measure there charles?

+5 for xeroc and toast for the info source

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
As for the Udemy videos, there are people who would likely be willing to help you with that project.  Merockstar, Clout and Empirical might be a good start.

I'm flattered that you would refer him to me fuznuts. I would definitely do what I could, but I'm likely not the greatest source of information.

If the articles I produce are high quality it's only because of the high quality feedback, and collated intelligence of this community. I'm not too proud to admit that I struggle with this sometimes.

Clout and Empirical1 are really smart, and seem to know their shit thoroughly. Mr. Hoskinson would be well served to hit them up for information.

Don't be so modest, I think you're articles are great! Also the fact that you are being proactive and writing them too,  (not just talking about/suggesting stuff, like I'm guilty of) makes you a real asset to BitShares imo!

Thanks for the compliment Fuznuts and Merock, but I'm really very bad technically and also haven't been keeping up to date with BitShares developments so I would be a poor choice  :(  I've read some of Clout's stuff though and as someone said in another thread 'Clout is badass!'  :)

merockstar

As for the Udemy videos, there are people who would likely be willing to help you with that project.  Merockstar, Clout and Empirical might be a good start.

I'm flattered that you would refer him to me fuznuts. I would definitely do what I could, but I'm likely not the greatest source of information.

If the articles I produce are high quality it's only because of the high quality feedback, and collated intelligence of this community. I'm not too proud to admit that I struggle with this sometimes.

Clout and Empirical1 are really smart, and seem to know their shit thoroughly. Mr. Hoskinson would be well served to hit them up for information.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 06:48:42 am by merockstar »

Offline fuzzy

I'll do you even better Charles.  I'll donate 35 PTS to the project.  Let's see if anyone else in the community (Chinese welcome too) wants to throw a little in to help grow the ecosystem.  As for the people who complain in this grand experiment--I understand their frustrations, but real grass roots takes time and not just money, but effort.  Instead of complaining, people should actually take a few hours of their time every week to do outreach or be an active member of the community.  If people would spend half the time they spend complaining about stuff working on providing value to each other we would see bitshares blossom (faster).

Although you do not necessarily exude trustworthiness and the cloudy past is ample reason for critique, I can say one thing: you always seem to try to provide value instead of just complaining.  Any way of looking at that is awesome.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 03:22:53 am by fuznuts »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline yellowecho

Charles I think you have potential.  However, I'm starting to think you're just a jargon pumper: you still believe crypto currency is the correct metaphor

And you guys wonder why you have the smallest 2.0 community and why the chinese are revolting.

lol!
696c6f766562726f776e696573

charleshoskinson

bitbro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 12:28:28 am by bitbro »

charleshoskinson

Charles, are you asking if there is an opportunity for you to rejoin the fold?
No

I don't know how irreparable the damage was when you broke away but i followed you and bytemaster from the first threads on bitcointalk and it was the two of you together that made me an investor. I believe you have a set of skills which is not present in the current team. I have seen threads by bytemaster where he too has said as much.

I appreciate that Stuart. I'm sorry it didn't work out the way you expected. It didn't for me either. But that's how life works and I think everyone has learned a lot as well as grown over the past year.

I worry from an outsider is why don't you stick with a project? Are you not a tam player?, seems a strange mix with the skills you have. I would love to hear your views on this and others.

I'm quite the team player and I generally do stick with project. I never intended on joining Ethereum full time because I was still recovering from leaving Invictus; however, I ended up getting drawn in when it was clear that the project needed some of my skills. That said, it's now global, soon to be well funded and has a deep bench of talent. Also Ethereum is now a not for profit venture meaning I'd just be a salary man if I stayed. They are in great hands and don't need me anymore.

In terms of Invictus, I really have no desire to return. It's not the company I started anymore. The business strategy, technology, marketing and branding is totally different. The product lines are different and totally untested. The development processes are far to scattered, undocumented and spaghetti codish for my taste (I'm a scrum guy who likes rich documentation and lots of beta testing).

If I returned, then I would try to fix things I feel are problems, but it's clear that wouldn't work well for the current team and substantially delay the release of BitShares X. This house has always belonged to Dan for better or worse.

I'm just interested in finishing my course as it's been something left on the table for almost a year now. It would be unfair not to include Bitshares and the DAC concept in the 2.0 section, which is why I reached out to you guys to make sure I accurately represent it.

Good luck whatever you do next

I appreciate that. Most likely returning to mathematics to study some interesting developments in graph theory as well as complex adaptive systems. J. Miller and Page wrote a wonderful book on the topic and some of my colleagues at CU are enjoying a dense set of problems.

There is also the Cryptocurrency scalability concern, which appears to be resolvable via SCIP and ZKP using a heterogeneous network of miniblockchains only megabytes in size permitting a masterchain in the petabytes . Improvements to the ghost concept could allow for 5-10 second confirmation times. It's a fun problem to think about and there are so many cryptographic tools just sitting on the shelf collecting dust that could be used in experiments.

It would also be nice to have a phonegap style compatibility framework to allow a single JS, HTML5, CSS3 codebase to deploy DApps running on multiple 2.0 protocols such as color coins, counterparty, Ethereum, etc. The Etherbrowser will likely get forked and used as the reference client for all the 2.0 coins thanks to the quality of its codebase, the decentralized app store and the UX/UI. It makes sense that someone would develop a way to deploy a DApp on multiple protocols at the same time.

Lots to think about Stuart.
Cheers