Author Topic: The Intrinsic Value of BitShares PTS (Update from Bytemaster)  (Read 26867 times)

Offline Yui Xie

• View Profile
Re: The Intrinsic Value of Protoshares (Update from Bytemaster)
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2014, 10:07:29 pm »
This thread should be updated or un-stickied.

bitbro

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2014, 11:24:08 pm »
Thx for the explanation

Pinov -- This thread is outdated.  Now 50%of the BTS supply comes from PTS, as well as 50% from AGS, which is not mined, but given in reward for donations.

Offline pinov

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2014, 11:13:16 pm »
Thx for the explanation
Approve pinov and pinof & earn BTSX on every transaction you make
wallet_approve_delegate pinov
wallet_approve_delegate pinof

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2013, 04:24:28 pm »

4) There will be many BitShares based chains, not one, and all of them will be 1:1 with ProtoShares

What is meant by 4) above. Are we talking about the different alt currencies that will be pegged to various fiat currencies or commodities (like BitUSD or BitGold)?

No, they're saying that in the future the ratio might be different than 1:1 - So there might be examples where for every 10 PTS you have you get 1 of the new chain (1:10), or for every 1 PTS you have you get 100 of the new chain (100:1).

Things could change with unannounced chains, they're leaving their options open to experiment.

I believe it is actually the opposite. They are saying PTS will always be a 1:1 ratio.

What we have said is that PTS will represent 10% of the money supply of new coins in the genesis block.

Will the other 90% come from mining?

100% of the BTS supply will be derived from mining if you count mining PTS.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline phoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2013, 03:48:26 pm »

4) There will be many BitShares based chains, not one, and all of them will be 1:1 with ProtoShares

What is meant by 4) above. Are we talking about the different alt currencies that will be pegged to various fiat currencies or commodities (like BitUSD or BitGold)?

No, they're saying that in the future the ratio might be different than 1:1 - So there might be examples where for every 10 PTS you have you get 1 of the new chain (1:10), or for every 1 PTS you have you get 100 of the new chain (100:1).

Things could change with unannounced chains, they're leaving their options open to experiment.

I believe it is actually the opposite. They are saying PTS will always be a 1:1 ratio.

What we have said is that PTS will represent 10% of the money supply of new coins in the genesis block.

Will the other 90% come from mining?
Protoshares: Pg5EhSZEXHFjdFUzpxJbm91UtA54iUuDvt
Bitmessage: BM-NBrGi2V3BZ8REnJM7FPxUjjkQp7V5D28

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2013, 07:27:30 am »

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline smiley35

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2013, 07:21:33 am »

Offline Lighthouse

• Making a Market in PTS since 11/06/2013
    • View Profile
    • Lighthouse Bulk Orders and Trusted Escrow (Closed)
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2013, 05:23:51 pm »

Before you say the price of PTS is too high, take a look at theThe Reason.  Protoshares are an entirely new type of Cryptocurrency, one that pays to hold.

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2013, 05:15:49 pm »

Offline Gekko

• Lunch is for wimps........ Greed is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2013, 01:22:26 pm »
Can anyone say something about the timeline of protoshares, 1 week, a month or a year from now. What is expected to happen. and what would people want to see happen?
http://invictus-innovations.com/protoshares says:
"BitShares should be fully developed and deployed within 6 months to 1 year."

Offline voldemort628

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2013, 09:54:29 am »
I'm quite new to PTS, Mining, Bitcoins and bitshares and all that. But i'm very intrigued, when i started reading about it last night.

Can anyone say something about the timeline of protoshares, 1 week, a month or a year from now. What is expected to happen. and what would people want to see happen?

if anyone actually does know the answers for your questions with 100% accuracy, they wont tell you haha.
but one thing u can be pretty sure of is that pts and bitshares have a bright future ahead ;)
how about that ?

Makin91

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2013, 03:49:30 pm »
I'm quite new to PTS, Mining, Bitcoins and bitshares and all that. But i'm very intrigued, when i started reading about it last night.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2013, 01:33:00 pm »
Here is how I came up with a speculative value. Protoshares receive 50% of dividends from mining right? That is the formula? Asicminer never achieved 50% of the mining profitability of the network and how much was a share of Asicminer worth at it's peak? Around 5 BTC per share?

Now there were only 400,000 Asicminer shares if my memory serves me correctly and there are 2 million Protoshares. 1 BTC per protoshare seems reasonable if the dividends are good enough and it could go up to 2 or 3 BTC.

But don't anyone hold me to it because I don't know anything about the plans and could be wrong.

ProtoShares' current release does not pay dividends.  It is a path to owning shares of other DACs when they launch, many of which will pay dividends. BitShares, for example, will pay dividends as will most Invictus DACs.  Since each DAC is an independent unmanned business, other DACs from various developers may have different business models, including their own built-in transparent rules for if and how they pay dividends. This is a balance between rewarding owners (shareholders) and workers (miners), like any brick and mortar and flesh and blood business. Each developer is of course free to experiment with publishing rules that will make its DACs most attractive to investors and miners.

Interesting, so if you give to much to the investors, most people won't want to mine. But if you give to much to the miners, most people won't want to invest. Developers will need to find the right balance of rewards in order to maximize the growth of their DACs

I think there needs to be a DAC manual.

We are attempting to keep a link to every article and white paper we find on the DACs and links tabs at invictus-innovations.com.  If you see a good publication we're missing, let us now and we'll link to it there.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2013, 11:13:56 am »
Here is how I came up with a speculative value. Protoshares receive 50% of dividends from mining right? That is the formula? Asicminer never achieved 50% of the mining profitability of the network and how much was a share of Asicminer worth at it's peak? Around 5 BTC per share?

Now there were only 400,000 Asicminer shares if my memory serves me correctly and there are 2 million Protoshares. 1 BTC per protoshare seems reasonable if the dividends are good enough and it could go up to 2 or 3 BTC.

But don't anyone hold me to it because I don't know anything about the plans and could be wrong.

ProtoShares' current release does not pay dividends.  It is a path to owning shares of other DACs when they launch, many of which will pay dividends. BitShares, for example, will pay dividends as will most Invictus DACs.  Since each DAC is an independent unmanned business, other DACs from various developers may have different business models, including their own built-in transparent rules for if and how they pay dividends. This is a balance between rewarding owners (shareholders) and workers (miners), like any brick and mortar and flesh and blood business. Each developer is of course free to experiment with publishing rules that will make its DACs most attractive to investors and miners.

Interesting, so if you give to much to the investors, most people won't want to mine. But if you give to much to the miners, most people won't want to invest. Developers will need to find the right balance of rewards in order to maximize the growth of their DACs

I think there needs to be a DAC manual.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline phoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 06:45:48 pm »

Protoshares: Pg5EhSZEXHFjdFUzpxJbm91UtA54iUuDvt
Bitmessage: BM-NBrGi2V3BZ8REnJM7FPxUjjkQp7V5D28

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2013, 01:57:41 pm »

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 12:57:33 pm »

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline marketp2p

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 08:49:26 pm »
great. thanks for the reply.

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 07:33:48 pm »
Great to see those ambitious plans. Still have a few questions though:

1. Are all projects open sourced? If so, for the development and releases, are you going to use Bitcoin OS model, or Ripple's model?

2. Where can I find more info on the dev team?

3. What are possible scenarios that the projects can fail?

If this is not the proper thread asking these question, please feel free to direct me to the right place.

Thanks in advance.

All projects will be open source and have been from day 1.
https://github.com/InvictusInnovations

Our Team:
http://invictus-innovations.com/home-2/

Failure Scenarios:
1) Someone gets to market first?
2) Legal Harassment from Governments
3) Random Busses taking out key players
4) Unknown Unknowns.

Offline marketp2p

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 05:25:23 pm »
Great to see those ambitious plans. Still have a few questions though:

1. Are all projects open sourced? If so, for the development and releases, are you going to use Bitcoin OS model, or Ripple's model?

2. Where can I find more info on the dev team?

3. What are possible scenarios that the projects can fail?

If this is not the proper thread asking these question, please feel free to direct me to the right place.

Thanks in advance. 

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 04:35:34 am »

1) All chains Invictus launches will be derived from ProtoShares with a 1:1 mapping and 10% of the ultimate money supply of that chain.
2) ProtoDomains may Split from ProtoShares prior to the Launch of DomainShares so that it can be traded and valued separately.   
3) Keyhotee ID is not a currency, there is no way to map ProtoShares into Keyhotee ID (the name chain)
5) We reserve the right to release ProtoShares v2 that honors 100% of ProtoShares v1 with 100% of the money supply allocated. 
6) Associated Press, DAC would honor ProtoShares

Exceptions to the ProtoShares honoring would be if we decided to release a true competitor to be used as a money-only coin and not a trading platform.  In this case we may choose to honor the initial positions in ALL existing *-coin chains proportional to their market cap. 

I want to make it very clear that at no time will we 'reset the clock' for a new chain and owning ProtoShares today does get you ownership in everything we do in the future either directly or indirectly.
Sounds like the plan is to have many chains with different purposes, will that make them more susceptible to 51% attacks and losing synergetic benefit from combined mining power?

All of our future chains that support a common proof-of-work will support merged mining.   

http://letstalkbitcoin.com/is-bitcoin-overpaying-for-false-security/

Offline marketp2p

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 04:32:15 am »

1) All chains Invictus launches will be derived from ProtoShares with a 1:1 mapping and 10% of the ultimate money supply of that chain.
2) ProtoDomains may Split from ProtoShares prior to the Launch of DomainShares so that it can be traded and valued separately.   
3) Keyhotee ID is not a currency, there is no way to map ProtoShares into Keyhotee ID (the name chain)
5) We reserve the right to release ProtoShares v2 that honors 100% of ProtoShares v1 with 100% of the money supply allocated. 
6) Associated Press, DAC would honor ProtoShares

Exceptions to the ProtoShares honoring would be if we decided to release a true competitor to be used as a money-only coin and not a trading platform.  In this case we may choose to honor the initial positions in ALL existing *-coin chains proportional to their market cap. 

I want to make it very clear that at no time will we 'reset the clock' for a new chain and owning ProtoShares today does get you ownership in everything we do in the future either directly or indirectly.
Sounds like the plan is to have many chains with different purposes, will that make them more susceptible to 51% attacks and losing synergetic benefit from combined mining power?

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 09:47:37 pm »
V2 would be No different than a hard fork.  Both forks would go their separate way   We only mentioned this as an upgrade path to a new CodeBase not as a plan. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lighthouse

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 09:17:47 pm »
What is exactly:

ProtoShares is based upon the Bitcoin-Qt code base.   We may wish to 'upgrade it' in the future to support more features and this would be the upgrade path. 

Does that mean that if you are holding Protoshares v1 when Protoshares 2 comes out, all Protoshares 2 will replace Protoshares 1 1:1 and no additional mining will be done on it?
Before you say the price of PTS is too high, take a look at theThe Reason.  Protoshares are an entirely new type of Cryptocurrency, one that pays to hold.

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 06:55:18 pm »
What is exactly:

ProtoShares is based upon the Bitcoin-Qt code base.   We may wish to 'upgrade it' in the future to support more features and this would be the upgrade path. 

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 04:40:10 pm »
So Stan, what do YOU think a fair value of Protoshares is given their future deliveries?   Tens of dollars?  Thousands of dollars?   Is the design for these to be the Berkshire Hathaway stock of Cryptocurrency?

Hard to set an upper limit, isn't it?

Another factor that's strangely received little mention:  DACs can be for-profit corporations that pay dividends to their shareholder's.  Everybody thinks of DACs as a capital appreciation play.  It is that, but have we forgotten the original reason to form a company?  It's to make money for their shareholders!

Factor that into your value proposition for being a ProtoShareholder in this entire market sector.

You can have my PTS when you pry them from my cold dead hands.

Think of the implications of this for a minute (or all day for that matter):

If you hold PTS, you will also hold BTS when BitShares launches.  That means you will immediately start collecting dividends from every subsequent transaction that takes place.  You don't even have to mine to get more shares - just sit there and collect them as your share of the DACs earnings - proportional to how much of the new DAC you own on Day One or accumulate subsequently.  Compound earnings, come to think of it...

Offline dahongfei

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 04:21:52 pm »
What is exactly:

Offline voldemort628

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 07:31:20 am »

You should organise a bounty for it then, it is a great idea. It should have the video prominently featured at the top as I think it explained what protoshares are very well. The one explaining mastercoin is dubious.

agreed. should have bounty for a campaign promoting pts and for creating a website and stuff like that! :)

Offline simplydt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 07:28:22 am »
That is a great idea.  Will that becoming from Invictus?

As you might have guessed, Invictus is light on web developers.   Invictus would be more than happy to back such a site and apparently some people on this forum already grabbed the domains (how did we miss that????). 

I think we have minted enough bonus cash for protoshare's holders to fund its development, after all it will only help increase their value.   

You should organise a bounty for it then, it is a great idea. It should have the video prominently featured at the top as I think it explained what protoshares are very well. The one explaining mastercoin is dubious.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 07:51:51 am by simplydt »

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 12:57:47 am »

As you might have guessed, Invictus is light on web developers.   Invictus would be more than happy to back such a site and apparently some people on this forum already grabbed the domains (how did we miss that????). 

I think we have minted enough bonus cash for protoshare's holders to fund its development, after all it will only help increase their value.   

Offline Lighthouse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 11:28:10 pm »

Offline voldemort628

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 11:27:13 pm »
When do we get an "official website" for protoshares? because imho it should have a separate one, not just a sub-site of Invictus Corp. website...

Like i think we could make pts looks more "professional" with better web page and cool stuff to promote the idea!
Cheers

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 02:30:52 am »
So Stan, what do YOU think a fair value of Protoshares is given their future deliveries?   Tens of dollars?  Thousands of dollars?   Is the design for these to be the Berkshire Hathaway stock of Cryptocurrency?

Another factor that's strangely received little mention:  DACs can be for-profit corporations that pay dividends to their shareholder's.  Everybody thinks of DACs as a capital appreciation play.  It is that, but have we forgotten the original reason to form a company?  It's to make money for their shareholders!

Factor that into your value proposition for being a ProtoShareholder in this entire market sector.

You can have my PTS when you pry them from my cold dead hands.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 12:47:32 am »

Let's stipulate that it may take several iterations of TestShares, DAC before we reach the right mixture of fuel and air.  (The nice thing about ProtoShares is that with each iteration you get a fresh stake initialized from ProtoShares.)  Once one DAC gets it right, Katie bar the door! 

As Marvin the Martian once said to Bugs Bunny, "There's supposed to be an earth-shattering Kaboom."

However, this does not constitute financial advice.   :)

Offline Lighthouse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 12:26:26 am »

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
Re: The Intrinsic Value of PTS (Update from Bytemaster)
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 06:27:06 pm »
If you'd like more background on the Unified Field Theory of PTS, read DACs that Spawn DACS, just published at

http://letstalkbitcoin.com/dacs-that-spawn-dacs/#.UoPDfWSxPVQ
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 03:50:00 pm by Stan »

Offline Lighthouse

• View Profile
The Intrinsic Value of BitShares PTS (Update from Bytemaster)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 09:24:06 am »

1) All chains Invictus launches will be derived from PTS with a 1:1 mapping and 10% of the ultimate money supply of that chain.
6) Associated Press, DAC would honor PTS

Exceptions to the PTS honoring would be if we decided to release a true competitor to be used as a money-only coin and not a trading platform.  In this case we may choose to honor the initial positions in ALL existing *-coin chains proportional to their market cap. 

« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 03:49:39 pm by Stan »