Author Topic: question about bitshares me  (Read 1516 times)

Offline Brent.Allsop

• View Profile
    • Canonizer.com
I'm interesting in the answer to the same question.
Dividends have two parts.  Who receives them, and who pays for them.
Of course, like as done with mining, you just print more of them to pay a dividend to the miners.
The money that pays for this is like a tax on all holders of the currency/stock.
If you can find someone willing to give up shares, it's just a matter of the transaction.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
....right, just wanted to make sure what you meant...

Pay dividends: Buy back shares and send them to a provably non existing address... I think it would work another way too which would need to be implemented as a function: Have the authority to issue new shares of your colored coin which then are distributed among all holders. Counterparty I think has such a feature....

but we do have confirmation from ME and/or Music devs that we're going the buy back shares and destroy them route?
this route is there anyway (no need to implement anything). Apart from that I dont know. A dev would have to answer... 

merockstar

Pay dividends: Buy back shares and send them to a provably non existing address... I think it would work another way too which would need to be implemented as a function: Have the authority to issue new shares of your colored coin which then are distributed among all holders. Counterparty I think has such a feature....

but we do have confirmation from ME and/or Music devs that we're going the buy back shares and destroy them route?

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

merockstar

in the beginning, in order to make people want to buy their stock, will their be a means in place by which people can promise a certain amount of whatever money they make goes back to shareholders?
You mean a means of ensuring (as opposed to only promising) that dividends are paid in the case of profits? I think this (ensuring) would only be possible if the business is a DAC itself or by someone that escrows the capital that is collected during the fundraiser.

As for how to pay dividends. I think the easiest way would be to buy stock back and burn it (proving that you don't sell it again later).

no, not ensure... that would be like a contract between the person and the people who buy their shares. basically a promise. so that (I imagine) would be on them.

I think I meant how to pay dividends. Has it been determined how that will work?

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
in the beginning, in order to make people want to buy their stock, will their be a means in place by which people can promise a certain amount of whatever money they make goes back to shareholders?
You mean a means of ensuring (as opposed to only promising) that dividends are paid in the case of profits? I think this (ensuring) would only be possible if the business is a DAC itself or by someone that escrows the capital that is collected during the fundraiser.

As for how to pay dividends. I think the easiest way would be to buy stock back and burn it (proving that you don't sell it again later).

merockstar

this may be a stupid question, sorry if it's already been answered... bitshares me:

say a person came up with a great way to monetize... anything, and was able to convince the general public of that.

people buy shares issued by this person, giving them the funds to do... whatever it is they do.

say that person ends up being successful and makes a lot of money.

in the beginning, in order to make people want to buy their stock, will their be a means in place by which people can promise a certain amount of whatever money they make goes back to shareholders? say dude's stock is a success. will there be an "investor address" where he can send a thousand bitshares/BTC/whatever and the system automatically distributes that proportionally to shareholders (i think peershares is planning something like this with peercoin)?

or will all potential profit from holders of this persons stock come exclusively through stock price based on supply and demand (making it basically a platform for betting on people's success)?

or will it be the later option, but people wanting to reward their investors can just buy back their stock, driving up the price-- this seems like the simplest way to go about it?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 10:14:28 am by merockstar »