Author Topic: Get rid of init delegates  (Read 8247 times)

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
I was one of the delegates that made it in (while I was sleeping) and was only able to produce 75% of my blocks.  I have dug through the logs and don't see any reason for missing these blocks.  Looking at the forks from my seed node shows a pretty massive latency before it received my delegates blocks 18 and 14 seconds.  I'm not sure if the two nodes were connected at the time, but they usually are.  So I am not sure if it was a network issue, or if my delegate just fired late.

I have increased the ram on my VPS and am curious if that will improve its performance.  My other thought is around geographical location as my delegate node is based on the US west coast.

There are periodic network glitches that could cause your node to hang and miss a block.  We are attempting to find the cause.

Thanks for voting me back in Dan.   So far my node hasn't missed a block.   I'm not sure if that's due to the increased ran,  or just good luck.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline alt

• View Profile
  • BitShares: baozi
I have added ntp.  When I blockchain_list_forks my delegate of course shows zero latency on my orphaned blocks,  and shows then as being created at the correct time.   Is there a bug that prevents the node from broadcasting those in a timely fashion?   Would any logs help or do you already have a large enough sample size?
the same happened to me, the block seems never broadcast out.

来自我的 HUAWEI P7-L00 上的 Tapatalk

Offline bitcoinerS

• View Profile
I have added ntp.  When I blockchain_list_forks my delegate of course shows zero latency on my orphaned blocks,  and shows then as being created at the correct time.   Is there a bug that prevents the node from broadcasting those in a timely fashion?   Would any logs help or do you already have a large enough sample size?

What does your delegate node show if you type get_info?
>>> approve bitcoiners

Offline puppies

• View Profile
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bytemaster

I was one of the delegates that made it in (while I was sleeping) and was only able to produce 75% of my blocks.  I have dug through the logs and don't see any reason for missing these blocks.  Looking at the forks from my seed node shows a pretty massive latency before it received my delegates blocks 18 and 14 seconds.  I'm not sure if the two nodes were connected at the time, but they usually are.  So I am not sure if it was a network issue, or if my delegate just fired late.

I have increased the ram on my VPS and am curious if that will improve its performance.  My other thought is around geographical location as my delegate node is based on the US west coast.

There are periodic network glitches that could cause your node to hang and miss a block.  We are attempting to find the cause.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
Add nntp server for better time sync

Offline puppies

• View Profile

Offline Riverhead

Not true... people are buying / selling on this chain and that is for keeps...

Doh - of course.  I need more coffee  :P .

Offline alt

• View Profile
  • BitShares: baozi
I allowed a few more people in and unvoted some of the init delegates and the network fell to condition yellow.... with 85% participation rate. 

For the health of the network while it is still young having a strong core at is important.  Once we get back to condition green I will remove some more init delegates.

In the mean time we are working on many bug fixes.
+5% .. thats my concern too .. some delegates dont take it seriously enough :(

Ps: thanks for voting me in

At this point in the game we should not blame delegates for missing some blocks (note even init delegates missed some).  There are bugs in the network code that cause things to hang from time to time and even delegates with nodes up miss.   We are working on fixing as many issues as possible.

DAC Sun Limited released things earlier than I would have liked, but at least things are running and people are liquid.   The cost of early release is higher reliance on the initial delegates until the system is robust enough to handle all of the edge cases.
+5% +5% +5%
thanks for your vote  :)

Offline bytemaster

[
At this point in the game we should not blame delegates for missing some blocks (note even init delegates missed some).  There are bugs in the network code that cause things to hang from time to time and even delegates with nodes up miss.   We are working on fixing as many issues as possible.

DAC Sun Limited released things earlier than I would have liked, but at least things are running and people are liquid.   The cost of early release is higher reliance on the initial delegates until the system is robust enough to handle all of the edge cases.

I guess at this point since the only BTSX on the chain are imported from existing wallets a full chain reset wouldn't really cost anyone anything except time (minus fees earned).

Like paying poker with real money vs fake chips I have found the real deal much more educational than the tests now that I have real skin in the game.

Not true... people are buying / selling on this chain and that is for keeps...

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Riverhead

[

I guess at this point since the only BTSX on the chain are imported from existing wallets a full chain reset wouldn't really cost anyone anything except time (minus fees earned).

Like paying poker with real money vs fake chips I have found the real deal much more educational than the tests now that I have real skin in the game.

Offline bytemaster

I allowed a few more people in and unvoted some of the init delegates and the network fell to condition yellow.... with 85% participation rate. 

For the health of the network while it is still young having a strong core at is important.  Once we get back to condition green I will remove some more init delegates.

It was released earlier than I would have liked, but at least things are running and people are liquid.   The cost of early release is higher reliance on the initial delegates until the system is robust enough to handle all of the edge cases.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 03:47:40 pm by bytemaster »

Ggozzo

Is that why I was getting a network performance problem at the bottom?

Ggozzo

If we aren't going to push for a more decentralized structure or if we are just unable to at this early stage, can you guys at the very least change the names of you delegates to arbitrary unrelated names. When you have joeblow1, joeblow2, joeblow3.... and so on,  it gives a sense of centralization to see anything less than 101 separately controlled delegates to outsiders. Let's at the very least project the illusion of 101 different delegates.

I may seem altruistic, but this is not my intention. I am motivated to protect what little investment I made. I the only way I see it paying off is for this project to be as decentralized as it can be. Plus I want to be able to trade eventually.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc