Author Topic: Best Mining Hardware  (Read 11087 times)

Offline smith88

• View Profile
Re: Best Mining Hardware
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 09:09:49 pm »
Until someone contributes an enhanced mining algorithm to the ProtoShares client you will require about 12 GB of RAM

The memory requirement for mining ProtoShares is 12GB?  Is it lower if you only mine on two cores?

Approximately additional 768MB per core - the GUI has an option to mine up to 4 (3 on win32 because of memory limitations), you can set it to more in the debug console (setgenerate true 8), but don't expect linear performance gains per core.

You can check the performance using 'getmininginfo' - there is a 'hashespermin' reading, which will have useful data after about 4 minutes or so.

It's possible you'll get better performance by running multiple instances of the client, rather than multiple processes in the same client, but the real performance gains are to be made with code optimization. There's a reasonably good algorithm in there, but poor memory access/threading.

Is there quick way to run multi instances; say change in config file, or should i make a script for it? thank you!
PTS:  Pv5uGw6APp4UweLE8J1piqWM2i5xFGUHij
BTC:  1B2vsiqJhh5W1mrfJNcC4Zu2kWG3mWzJft

Offline FreeTrade

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 04:40:41 am »
Until someone contributes an enhanced mining algorithm to the ProtoShares client you will require about 12 GB of RAM

The memory requirement for mining ProtoShares is 12GB?  Is it lower if you only mine on two cores?

Approximately additional 768MB per core - the GUI has an option to mine up to 4 (3 on win32 because of memory limitations), you can set it to more in the debug console (setgenerate true 8), but don't expect linear performance gains per core.

You can check the performance using 'getmininginfo' - there is a 'hashespermin' reading, which will have useful data after about 4 minutes or so.

It's possible you'll get better performance by running multiple instances of the client, rather than multiple processes in the same client, but the real performance gains are to be made with code optimization. There's a reasonably good algorithm in there, but poor memory access/threading.
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 02:59:44 am »
Right now memory usage scales with cores that you throw at it.  This was done to avoid synchronization issues between cores and because it is the best FreeMind could come up with by the launch date.

There is a huge opportunity for developers to optimize the mining algorithm and in theory only 1 GB is ever needed.   That said, the default client will support 4 cores and 3.5 GB of RAM. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline TwoKoolFourSkewl

• Easy as One, Too, Three...
    • View Profile
    • RippleGiveaway.com
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 01:33:54 am »

RippleGiveaway.com - Home of the Ripple Faucet!

Offline BitNoob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 10:17:56 pm »
I test with a vpn, and you're right it works with an US ip, lucky guys! But with my Argentine adress it was'nt...

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 07:20:11 pm »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline BitNoob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 07:02:13 pm »
I'm sad, www.portatech.com is down...

Offline bytemaster

Best Mining Hardware
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 06:31:21 pm »
Thanks to azwccc @ bitcointalk
Prebuilt Systems can be found here: http://www.portatech.com 

Complete Barebones System w/ Core i7 4770 @ 4 x 3.9GHz
Intel Socket 1150 Motherboard & CPU w/ CPU Fan Heatsink
2 GB RAM
High Quality Mid Tower Case w/ Power Supply
Free Professional Assembly & Testing
USB Flash Drive with Linux for OS + Miner
Price Of Advertised Item: $414.93 -- FREE Assembly & Testing Included

Thanks to MineMind @ bitcointalk
If you would like to build your own: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1W43u
Intel Xeon E3-1220 V3 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor
MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
G.Skill 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
HEC Enterprise MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Raidmax 450W ATX12V Power Supply
USB Flash Drive with Linux for OS + Miner

Total: $348 after Discounts, Rebates.

Some things to note about these systems.

1) No benchmarks have been performed using our mining algorithm
2) The initial ProtoShares-Qt client requires about 1 GB per core, in theory enhancements to the algorithm should allow 1.5 GB to be used with any number of threads.  Until someone contributes an enhanced mining algorithm to the ProtoShares client you will require about 12 GB of RAM
3) The Momentum Proof of Work is memory bus limited, having 2x1GB DIMMS may be better than 1x2GB DIMM.
4) These systems assume boot from USB stick running Linux.  You will have to build ProtoShares from source to mine on these systems until someone releases a downloadable USB drive image.