Author Topic: Associated Press, DAC  (Read 13205 times)

merockstar

Thank you for bumping this, bed!

This seems similar to what I was aiming for in this post about my idea for a non-DAC that takes advantage of BitShares ME (minus the collaboration part).

I bet this would work for fiction as well.

I had no idea this post existed.

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile
Bumping this.

AP Shares.. Can we get some forum space for this?

Maybe list it on the various websites?

Any additional thoughts on the AP DAC as it would work on a DPOS blockchain?
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
This is a great idea. I could even foresee some articles or e-books (good ones, not crap) being clustered into different topical areas, perhaps different DACs. I've written a number of nonfiction e-books that sell on Amazon, where I net $2K-$3K per month on those. That's just me writing in my spare time, side income, so multiply the possibilities with multiple authors. If articles or e-books were topically focused, there could be a profitable company there. It's not low maintenance, but it can generate some steady returns. Article writers, particularly, are not accustomed to earning royalties, and this could be a draw.

Two concerns I have. First, I'm pretty sure "Associated Press" and "AP" are trademarked. I know I'm a little nervous about government interference, etc., but I really would suggest being ultra-careful about not throwing around names that are someone else's property. It would really suck to have some jerks come in and shut down this whole thing just for some ultimately insignificant reason like that; I think the names here must be unique or generic. Please tread carefully; Invictus' work is too important to mess up. 

Second, with articles, books, or anything people write, there is good content and there is crud. There are plenty of lousy writers who are also some of the first to become attracted to a moneymaking concept. There is a large group of people who believe they are born to write, yet have never made a dime off it before. For good reason. So my question here, having written books and articles (and having worked with print publishers before also) is: who filters content? With enough volume, you can let the market do it using ratings, like Amazon does. The good stuff (with high ratings and sales) comes up in searches, while the crud quickly drops off the map. But this filter only works when you have sufficient volume.

The other way to filter content is to have a non-digital human being (no, heaven forbid!) serving as editor. Initially, this may be a good idea, since this person could commission certain content and steer it a bit so you end up with a high quality newsroom/bookstore/library. As the store gains enough content/volume/traction, you could let ratings and the market take over. Or else you could empower the publisher/editor to continue to filter out the worst and highlight the best. Without some smart management, I think you end up with enough junk that it turns off too many would-be customers.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 04:36:24 am by donkeypong »

Offline bytemaster

Rlly?

???

Apparently I either don't know all there is to know about ProtoShares, or everything there is to know about it has not yet been revealed . . . please point me to the right sources (if applicable) for anything I'm missing.

No ProtoShares just helped get this entire movement started... it doesn't actually do anything.  Remember, all DACS do is organize human effort and it seems like the result of PTS is a lot of DACs are going to be made.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline earthbound

• View Profile
    • earthbound.io
Rlly?

???

Apparently I either don't know all there is to know about ProtoShares, or everything there is to know about it has not yet been revealed . . . please point me to the right sources (if applicable) for anything I'm missing.
I think I'm not alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless dominion of our solar system. -Jack Handey

Offline bytemaster

I don't know what I'd call the DAC that brings new DACs to market. DAC IPO DAC?

ProtoShares ;)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline earthbound

• View Profile
    • earthbound.io
I think this may be a potentially very lucrative DAC, both for its own merits and for another possibility it opens up:

Once this is developed and proven (tested both on a widespread testnet and then also a live market), it could probably relatively easily be adapted to create another DAC which would bring other DACs to market by the same mechanism. People place long or short bets the same way as for news articles (in Associated Press DAC), but instead of writers submitting articles to bet on, coders submit DACs, and people place long and short bets on which DACs will perform the best.

It would put into play all of the same mechanisms bytemaster describes to advance more excellent DACs (instead of more excellent news articles), in addition to making the process of creating DACs more lucrative for coders who create DACs that happen to generate a lot of interest.

(Also, as others have noted, the model could be adapted for other kinds of media, or it could be coded as one DAC which brings multiple forms of media--music, art, books, ringtones, software--to market. Associated Media DAC?

I don't know what I'd call the DAC that brings new DACs to market. DAC IPO DAC?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 11:27:51 pm by earthbound »
I think I'm not alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless dominion of our solar system. -Jack Handey

Offline srcgpsmp

• View Profile
Open Source Journalism
James Corbett presents “From Gutenberg to YouTube: the open sourcing of journalism.” This lecture was delivered at the fOSSa 2013 conference in Lille, France on November 21, 2013.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xrRPP8Fqvh4#t=1503

Offline devilfish

• View Profile
I have a question.
If someone has a lot of APshares in this case,  does it mean he actually gain control of this DAC to a degree?
Since that writters are paid with APshares,  can he sell his APshares to make APshares priced down?

Thanks in advance.

Based on the OP case study people buy shares in the authors articles so that they don't really have shares the APshares DAC as far as I can tell. Also the author doesn't receive APshares they are paid by dividends & transmission fees associated with people publishing the article to more people.

Thank you for pointing out my misunderstanding

Shares in the Author's Articles are backed by Shares in the AP DAC and royalties / etc earn shares in the AP DAC.   An article becomes like a BitShares BitAsset that pays interest to the author rather than holder of the bitasset.

Ah yes of course, that makes sense. Still pretty new to all this, getting a slightly better understanding each day
BTC: 1MqCxQ2qD7ZuS3ELFY43wfaBTbA2XkYwDP
PTS: PiuFEJHz6zScALgPWzcu2SDKtWJW4cnUFi
XPM: Af5qzgsEwWaHZdGUq8dUoHkhmH4XBmnGW9

Offline bytemaster

I have a question.
If someone has a lot of APshares in this case,  does it mean he actually gain control of this DAC to a degree?
Since that writters are paid with APshares,  can he sell his APshares to make APshares priced down?

Thanks in advance.

If anyone controls enough of any commodity they can affect the price of the AP Shares, but they cannot change the value of the articles.

Offline bytemaster

I have a question.

Thanks in advance.

Based on the OP case study people buy shares in the authors articles so that they don't really have shares the APshares DAC as far as I can tell. Also the author doesn't receive APshares they are paid by dividends & transmission fees associated with people publishing the article to more people.

Shares in the Author's Articles are backed by Shares in the AP DAC and royalties / etc earn shares in the AP DAC.   An article becomes like a BitShares BitAsset that pays interest to the author rather than holder of the bitasset.

Offline 麥可貓

• View Profile
I have a question.

Thanks in advance.

PTS: PmRVDPymZqSAZEXauHZSewrUrE66af7epT
BTSX: michaelcat
Delegate Team: x1.sun  x2.sun

Offline devilfish

• View Profile
I have a question.

Thanks in advance.

Offline 麥可貓

• View Profile
I have a question.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 02:44:28 pm by encrydia »
PTS: PmRVDPymZqSAZEXauHZSewrUrE66af7epT
BTSX: michaelcat
Delegate Team: x1.sun  x2.sun

Offline devilfish

• View Profile
Which is very understandable :)