Author Topic: After importing from PTS/AGS, gui doesnt show which addresses have the funds  (Read 1372 times)

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
What do you mean deterministic wallet? You mean that the first account private key is generated from the wallet password? My impression was that this is false, that the bitshares wallet is in no way a brain wallet.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Deterministic wallet does not imply brain wallet. Bitshares generates a random seed, encrypted by your passphrase (So its not brain-only). As I understand it that seed can deterministically generate multiple addresses.

Anyway the problem is that GUI doesnt show which of my addresses actually contain the funds, which causes a real headache if I want to confirm whether I need to do another backup or transfer again.

Agreed. A better method of importing would be a sweep, where all imported funds are moved from the AGS/PTS address to the specified wallet account address. Of course, it would cost a transaction fee.
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
What do you mean deterministic wallet? You mean that the first account private key is generated from the wallet password? My impression was that this is false, that the bitshares wallet is in no way a brain wallet.

Deterministic wallet does not imply brain wallet. Bitshares generates a random seed, encrypted by your passphrase (So its not brain-only). As I understand it that seed can deterministically generate multiple addresses.

Anyway the problem is that GUI doesnt show which of my addresses actually contain the funds, which causes a real headache if I want to confirm whether I need to do another backup or transfer again.

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil

Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Sorry if this has already been addressed before, but it seems to be an important issue.

The benefit of deterministic wallets is that you can backup once without having to re-backup everytime you generate a new address.

But the Bitshares X gui doesnt yet seem to show if my funds are credited to my imported addresses or my deterministic "Account Key" addresses.

Therefore it would be easy to make the mistake of not transferring after importing, and thinking that my backup that I did at the beginning covers all of my funds.