Author Topic: Kevin Harrington and St. Martin  (Read 22959 times)

merockstar

I wish I hade as optimistic view on human nature as you.

Clearly, if he's working to undermine the whole project, that's not going to happen.

there's too many of us willing to work and carry on, so why not see his feedback/criticism/efforts to undermine for the good it has to offer?

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

It would be great if you guys would take a step back from your investment and ask critical questions.  Mostly this forum is ideation and celebration (because we're all going to be rich and/or change the world) really regardless of whether the circumstances justify it.

This is a very, very good point. If this project makes anybody rich, it won't be for quite some time.

Yes, the technology and ideas are awesome. Yes, they have the potential to change the world as we know it.

But whether that goal actually gets achieved is something that still remains to be seen.

All this circle jerking is fun, but I really do worry that it creates unrealistic expectations in a lot of people's minds, and when those expectations don't get met there is going to be anger directed towards the community and project as a whole.

The result?

/r/buttshares

I think Adam's working to mitigate those unrealistic expectations, and I respect that.

I wish I hade as optimistic view on human nature as you.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

merockstar

It would be great if you guys would take a step back from your investment and ask critical questions.  Mostly this forum is ideation and celebration (because we're all going to be rich and/or change the world) really regardless of whether the circumstances justify it.

This is a very, very good point. If this project makes anybody rich, it won't be for quite some time.

Yes, the technology and ideas are awesome. Yes, they have the potential to change the world as we know it.

But whether that goal actually gets achieved is something that still remains to be seen.

All this circle jerking is fun, but I really do worry that it creates unrealistic expectations in a lot of people's minds, and when those expectations don't get met there is going to be anger directed towards the community and project as a whole.

The result?

/r/buttshares

I think Adam's working to mitigate those unrealistic expectations, and I respect that.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Almost every person that has posted in this thread has made some of the same observations and critiques you are making about the alt-coin market, marketing strategy. There are plethora of relevant threads you can contribute to on that subject.

This thread is clearly about the St Martin trip which was extremely positive for BitShares. Brian was integral to making it happen, & by all accounts it was handled brilliantly by him. Everybody is just recognising the fantastic work he and the others have put in here.

Offline oco101

• View Profile
I don't even really know what to say guys.  Invictus has done a terrible job with branding and marketing.  It is ever changing, it is poorly explained and it is exceptionally confusing even to people who are invested in Invictus much less those who have never heard of the product.  Do you disagree?

I'm a PTS, AGS and BTSX holder and I don't understand the structure.  Why is that not a problem?  How much has been paid to Brian, and what has been accomplished by it?  I literally introduced Brian and Daniel, I am not out to shoot myself in the foot - But I also feel like I've been pretty complacent for the last six months while Brian has produced really very little output that I've seen and I am asking for clarity.

The only time I seem to hear from Brian are threads like this and so I am asking what he is doing when he is not posting threads like this about very recent victories.

Do YOU understand what Brian does? Please, explain it to me.

This is constructive criticism Adam.  Big +1 for that.  I'm pretty sure with this kinds of comment nobody will "attack" you.

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!

I do not think Adam is the huge problem in the big picture too. I do also miss the times when his criticism carried a nonce of positivism.

Posters like yourself are the exact reason all my pep has been drained from this project.  You don't like me and you argue with me because I bring up stuff you don't want brought up, and you couch this by attacking the 'way I bring things up' instead of engaging on the actual topic.

In other projects (Counterparty, Mastercoin, NXT, Ethereum) people want to explore the things that might not work because by addressing them you have a greater potential of fixing them before they become very big problems that impact much larger portions of the project.

Here since AGS started (and people became "ALL IN") people with divergent opinions have been shouted down by people who dont want to talk about potential negatives since they are in their eyes "FUD". 

So my negativity comes from knowing that no matter what I post, I will be attacked because I am asking a question others do not want to ask and definitely dont want to hear answered (unless its good).  Bitshares is unique in this, and it's not a happy distinction.
Email me at adam@letstalkbitcoin.com

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
I don't even really know what to say guys.  Invictus has done a terrible job with branding and marketing.  It is ever changing, it is poorly explained and it is exceptionally confusing even to people who are invested in Invictus much less those who have never heard of the product.  Do you disagree?

I'm a PTS, AGS and BTSX holder and I don't understand the structure.  Why is that not a problem?  How much has been paid to Brian, and what has been accomplished by it?  I literally introduced Brian and Daniel, I am not out to shoot myself in the foot - But I also feel like I've been pretty complacent for the last six months while Brian has produced really very little output that I've seen and I am asking for clarity.

The only time I seem to hear from Brian are threads like this and so I am asking what he is doing when he is not posting threads like this about very recent victories.

Do YOU understand what Brian does? Please, explain it to me.
Email me at adam@letstalkbitcoin.com

Offline G1ng3rBr34dM4n

So I really really really am not trying to be a dick here, I want to understand what Brian actually does because I don't see it and Director of Marketing seems like it should have obvious, public results.   Where are they?

Sigh... 

I miss the old Adam.  The one who brought me to bitshares.  I wonder how he's doing.

Brian did something that deserves a high five...so I for one will be giving him one.  Sure it took some time, but he is enlisting people who compliment the project.  His actions have amplified bitshares' marketing and made it so he can focus on bringing people together.  As far as the whales, they came after the tech was built because the tech is now showing it can scale to enterprise level (something bitcoin has been banging its head against for how long?) Can't we just leave it at "good job brian" for the time being? 

Thanks for your hard work Brian...and to I3--enjoy your weekend.  You deserve it.

Same thoughts for me.  If it weren't for Adam, I wouldn't be here.  In fact, the very first LTB episode I listened to, was ep. 57 (Announcement of Protoshares).

..Things have changed MASSIVELY since then; and it hasn't even been a year...

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
I heard a baseball bat crack...but I don't see the ball.  Did Brian hit it out of the park?

Brian, Dan, and I each got about 2 hours to brief the mastermind group.  Counting dinners, probably a total of 8+ hours discussing BitShares and its applications to their interests.  We were very impressed with everyone we met and came away from the event invigorated and inspired.  But we are far too profoundly humble to describe how inconceivably well our interactions with them went. 

This trip we secured solid marketing partnerships.  I wouldn't expect anything visible for a few months.   

These guys have proven track records and will get us where we need to go.   

Brian's talent is finding the best and I am very impressed with the work these guys have done.   

+5% Glad it's been well presented & explained to these kind of investors and that it's now on their radar. 

Offline fuzzy

Imagine how beautiful it is going to be when altcoins start using DPOS to bootstrap DACs that accept their own native token.  Or using LTB as a model, imagine LTBcoin running on DPOS and delegates that supply a 50%/50% spread of their tx fees to each of the shows supported on that chain:
Bitcoins & Gravy is funded because people vote for the delegate teams who find and support them.
Beyond Bitcoin is funded because people vote for the delegate teams who find and support them.
Sex & Science Hour is funded because people vote for the delegate teams who find and support them.
Ed and Ethan's is funded because people vote for the delegate teams who find and support them.
etc...
  If a show becomes corrupted (like CNN, Fox "News", and MSNBC) and spews nonsense to the point it becomes blatantly obvious, the delegates who support it lose their votes and they are defunded.  DPOS baby...f'ng DPOS.   
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 04:30:00 am by fuznuts »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline oco101

• View Profile

I do not think Adam is the huge problem in the big picture too. I do also miss the times when his criticism carried a nonce of positivism. Unfortunately those times are gone. I hope, I am wrong, but I do not think any reversal is likely.

I also hope he is not paid to do what he is currently doing, but rather does it because he feels he is a part of a time that is quickly becoming irrelevant.  And is fighting against the progress, like a king during the French revolution. Or simply does it just because his highly insightful opinions are not followed blindly by Dan…

Great 2 post btw fuznuts +5

+1

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

I do not think Adam is the huge problem in the big picture too. I do also miss the times when his criticism carried a nonce of positivism. Unfortunately those times are gone. I hope, I am wrong, but I do not think any reversal is likely.

I also hope he is not paid to do what he is currently doing, but rather does it because he feels he is a part of a time that is quickly becoming irrelevant.  And is fighting against the progress, like a king during the French revolution. Or simply does it just because his highly insightful opinions are not followed blindly by Dan…

Great 2 post btw fuznuts +5
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline fuzzy

So I really really really am not trying to be a dick here, I want to understand what Brian actually does because I don't see it and Director of Marketing seems like it should have obvious, public results.   Where are they?

Sigh... 

I miss the old Adam.  The one who brought me to bitshares.  I wonder how he's doing.

Brian did something that deserves a high five...so I for one will be giving him one.  Sure it took some time, but he is enlisting people who compliment the project.  His actions have amplified bitshares' marketing and made it so he can focus on bringing people together.  As far as the whales, they came after the tech was built because the tech is now showing it can scale to enterprise level (something bitcoin has been banging its head against for how long?) Can't we just leave it at "good job brian" for the time being? 

Thanks for your hard work Brian...and to I3--enjoy your weekend.  You deserve it.

Well said. Some people just don't understand marketing and the need for it. From my experience in other industries, some marketing people are invaluable. Others are simply really good at wasting money. I have not felt that way with Brian, who has been engaged with this and with us all the way. Baseball metaphor: we're in the 2nd inning of a 9 inning game. The middle of our order hasn't even come up to bat yet and he wants to pass judgment on the team's performance. Wait for the DACs and then you'll see what this investment has yielded; Brian has been building all the way.

I actually don't see Adam as part of the problem.  Imho he is a victim of an ecosystem that was pre-alpha and never meant to be self-sustaining out of the box.  He probably paid out of pocket for a long time before he ever saw a return for the work he was doing.  Sure he had people who loved him along the way helping him, but they were doing it out of love and respect for his intentions. 

However, when someone aspires to "cryptojournalism" in the Bitcoin environment he/she has to pay out of pocket to travel to all the big conferences and hope for donations from whales who usually want something in return.  It is hard to play in that kind of game because those whales are "voted" into power via technocratic means as opposed to shareholder opinion on the value they bring to the ecosystem.  DPOS actually makes it possible for delegates to get a solid return (when the system has grown) and also pay people/projects who are doing good works for the ecosystem itself.  Imagine how much easier it would have been if bitcoin's miners didn't have to spend so much on electricity and could reinvest it back into the ecosystem...and the people trying to promote it grassroots style. 

Thanks for appreciating the post...its not necessary though.  What I say is always from the heart and even though it is sometimes livid and openly dickish in my defenses of them, I ultimately just really care about I3 because they base everything they do off of that beautiful white paper:  "10 Laws of the Crypto Universe" https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=2876.0

« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 04:26:20 am by fuznuts »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline alt

• View Profile
  • BitShares: baozi

Sigh... 

+5% +5% +5%
Thanks Brian. 

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Sigh... 

Well said. Some people just don't understand marketing and the need for it. From my experience in other industries, some marketing people are invaluable. Others are simply really good at wasting money. I have not felt that way with Brian, who has been engaged with this and with us all the way. Baseball metaphor: we're in the 2nd inning of a 9 inning game. The middle of our order hasn't even come up to bat yet and he wants to pass judgment on the team's performance. Wait for the DACs and then you'll see what this investment has yielded; Brian has been building all the way.