Author Topic: [ SNAPSHOT: 8/21 ] DNS  (Read 48074 times)

Offline Riverhead

Secure Open DNS

SO DNS.  Much domain.  8)

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
I would like to avoid "BitShares" in the name.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

why? would be good to have it. if bitshares will be big in the future, it will be a big advantage to have bitshares in the official name.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
I am not sure about name. Might start another thread to discuss.

The DAC is called the Decentralized Namespace Service, which collides with "DNS" by design. The "products/services" are, initially, .p2p and KeyID. I would like to avoid "BitShares" in the name.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
Bitshares DNS

.p2p.io is the project name. in the future could include more DNS

Offline profitofthegods

• View Profile
Any more info on the 'paid positions for content creators' bit - I'm a writer and I'm curious as to whether I would be able to be part of that.

Offline Fox

I feel Keyhotee Founders should receive their .p2p in the genesis block.
Witness: fox

Offline jae208

• View Profile
http://bitsharestutorials.com A work in progress
Subscribe to the Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitsharesTutorials

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Yep, there will be a bunch of "reserved words" which include all existing TLDs, for when we figure out the proper way to migrate domains.

Lots of great points in this thread, I will be sure to address all of them in the coming days.

<3  +5% +5%

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Yep, there will be a bunch of "reserved words" which include all existing TLDs, for when we figure out the proper way to migrate domains.

Lots of great points in this thread, I will be sure to address all of them in the coming days.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
So in short reserve all TLDs and make available later for actual domain name sub accounts transfer/renew once p2p becomes the standard.

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
I was suggesting that name like microsoft.com.p2p is reserved. In fact what I'm proposing is that we reserve .com period. I love the idea of using the SSL certificate, those are serious responsible site owners. Not Microsoft.p2p but Microsoft.com.p2p. In other words one day we could have Bitshares DNS be the place to renew your .com (and all other top TLDs)

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Trust me, Google and Microsoft will get theirs.

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
Are you talking about brand names or about any website a company owns? The latter could take forever. Brand names will take care of themselves, because anyone who buys up a trademarked name is a fool...they will get it from you eventually.

I am talking about a particular domain name like google.p2p or microsoft.p2p. I am not sure what you mean by could take forever?

I do think it is likely to be foolish for someone to squat a brand name, but I am afraid people will do it and it will hurt the DAC. Imagine an early auction on google.p2p. On one hand, people will be bidding up a lot because they think they can sell it for millions to Google later. On the other hand, the very fact that Google would need to pay a significant sum of money for their own established name on some obscure service means they would probably pass on it, hurting the entire DAC. This risk is priced in, and so google.p2p will probably be sold early on to someone (someone probably anonymous) for a cost that isn't too high. How is Google going to use lawsuits to take their trademarked name from an anonymous person on a decentralized system. They aren't, they would just ignore it instead, hurting the whole DAC by not having a powerful ally using the service. Instead, if we make it incredibly cheap and easy for the biggest, most popular websites to come on board with their recognized name, we significantly help our cause. Think of it as marketing.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
If I may suggest, to ensure long term involvement and participation from established businesses. Make sure people with .com domains can somehow claim them. This will eliminate squatting names like Facebook, Microsoft, etc. perhaps if they can digitally sign using the DNS records you can award to their public key. Think long term 5 years from now.

I agree. I don't want this DAC to just be limited to cryptogeeks. To reduce barriers to worldwide adoption, I think we should give the biggest websites on the internet as little reason as possible to refuse to try .p2p out.

How about we go down this list, remove the TLD, filter out the redundant sites, and filter out any sites that do not have an HTTPS version of their site available. Then reserve those names on the genesis block along with the SHA256 fingerprint of their current SSL public key. The companies could later claim that name by using their SSL key to sign a statement that proves to the DAC they are the holders of the private key. We could even have them pay some fixed reasonable amount to claim the name or give them the option of putting the name up for auction if they for some reason think they can get a lower price on the open market.

Are you talking about brand names or about any website a company owns? The latter could take forever. Brand names will take care of themselves, because anyone who buys up a trademarked name is a fool...they will get it from you eventually.

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
If I may suggest, to ensure long term involvement and participation from established businesses. Make sure people with .com domains can somehow claim them. This will eliminate squatting names like Facebook, Microsoft, etc. perhaps if they can digitally sign using the DNS records you can award to their public key. Think long term 5 years from now.

I agree. I don't want this DAC to just be limited to cryptogeeks. To reduce barriers to worldwide adoption, I think we should give the biggest websites on the internet as little reason as possible to refuse to try .p2p out.

How about we go down this list, remove the TLD, filter out the redundant sites, and filter out any sites that do not have an HTTPS version of their site available. Then reserve those names on the genesis block along with the SHA256 fingerprint of their current SSL public key. The companies could later claim that name by using their SSL key to sign a statement that proves to the DAC they are the holders of the private key. We could even have them pay some fixed reasonable amount to claim the name or give them the option of putting the name up for auction if they for some reason think they can get a lower price on the open market.