Author Topic: What if account names were transferable and maybe even tradable?  (Read 2059 times)

Offline bitcoinerS

• View Profile
Because account names are the destination address for funds it could result in funds being sent to the wrong person if you transfered the name and everyone that knew you by the old name sent payments to that name.

Bitshare X wallet can visually indicate if an account has changed ownership in the past year. It could be as easy as displaying account name in a different color. This would warn everyone to double check current account name of the person they want to send funds to.
>>> approve bitcoiners

Offline Riverhead

If they expire but are non transferable it would make marketable names tough to sell (pay someone to not maintain a name for a year? Maybe under a contract?) and therefore unattractive to squatters.

Offline bitcoinerS

• View Profile
I would like to see account names expire without an annual registration fee.  Make the fee very small and automatically paid by the client.  So you would have to choose to allow names to expire.  Either that or keep an empty wallet. 

Expiring account names maybe a way to recover a few for reuse, but good names are a scarce resource. Scarce resources should be allocated and charged for according to demand.

I've got the six account names I care about, but it would be nice to penalize the jerks that went through the dictionary and registered everything.

Nearly all good account names have already been taken and we are just getting started..

>>> approve bitcoiners

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
I would like to see account names expire without an annual registration fee.  Make the fee very small and automatically paid by the client.  So you would have to choose to allow names to expire.  Either that or keep an empty wallet. 

I've got the six account names I care about, but it would be nice to penalize the jerks that went through the dictionary and registered everything.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bytemaster

Because account names are the destination address for funds it could result in funds being sent to the wrong person if you transfered the name and everyone that knew you by the old name sent payments to that name.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I dont think that is the PURPOSE of btsx but it is the purpose of bitshares dns ..

account names should be for life as you banking account number or icq numer does

Offline bitcoinerS

• View Profile
In Bitshares X account names are like domain names within a sub-internet (Bitshares x network)

What if account names were transferable and maybe even tradable?
I think a serious limitation of the current design might be the fact that account names are not transferable. Also there is a lot of account names that were created by people who just wanted to reserve good names for themselves (I reserved a few).
Maybe, if an approach similar to Bitshares DNS were to be applied to account names it would facilitate a market of tradable domain-like account names and reduce name squatting by making account registration/annual fees be based on market demand for that name.
Your thoughts?
>>> approve bitcoiners