Author Topic: Help needed - Have BTSX from Feb snapshot, not sure how to get into wallet  (Read 2413 times)

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
My update: I managed to get this all to work in the end by installing the latest client update, and importing from my PTS wallet using the instructions in the link helpfully provided above. Although I did have some teething issues with getting the client to sync...but that is covered on another thread. Thanks.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
You should back up your wallet to a USB stick or 2 and make sure your password is something you'll 100% remember.  Do that regardless of upgrading, etc.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline starspirit

• View Profile
merockstar,

On your suggestion and also recent price moves(!) I have decided to see this through further. I managed to get my BTSX into my Bitshares X MAC wallet - great!.

However, it now seems the wallet is not functional, as it is not syncing at all, it gives me error when I try to register, and I can't do transfers. What should I do now?

If I replace the wallet with an update (assuming there is one), is the safe process to export my wallet, delete the wallet app, download and install the update, then import my wallet again? Just want to be sure I don't mess anything up.

Thanks

merockstar

you guys should see it through, if for no other reason than to experience DPOS.

I knew I was never looking back when a transaction I sent, not to a cryptogibberish address, but to my first name, appeared instantly.

Offline starspirit

• View Profile
I'm impatient too! Guess I'll just have to wait a bit longer... Thanks for help.

Offline valtr

• View Profile
Thanks guys for your quick responses. Meda, I followed your link, and the page says this:

"Please understand the software is a work in progress. While the blockchain is expected to be secure, the graphics and UI may be behind. The BitShares X software is professionally written yet highly experimental. Likewise this How To will likely drift into being out of date at times. This information is provided without any warranty. It is up to the user to know what they are doing. This "How To" is only presented as a guide and is in no way official. If you are unsure of something, please ask on the forums. No contributors to this page shall be held accountable for any losses incurred."

Unfortunately for now this does not make me feel very confident at all. I don't want to risk losing coins.

I am not an IT expert, but I think it is not 100% stable. You will loose nothing by waiting for more stable release.
There are no BitUSD or other bitassets in this release.
I was just impatient.

Offline starspirit

• View Profile
Thanks guys for your quick responses. Meda, I followed your link, and the page says this:

"Please understand the software is a work in progress. While the blockchain is expected to be secure, the graphics and UI may be behind. The BitShares X software is professionally written yet highly experimental. Likewise this How To will likely drift into being out of date at times. This information is provided without any warranty. It is up to the user to know what they are doing. This "How To" is only presented as a guide and is in no way official. If you are unsure of something, please ask on the forums. No contributors to this page shall be held accountable for any losses incurred."

Unfortunately for now this does not make me feel very confident at all. I don't want to risk losing coins.

Offline valtr

• View Profile
Hi. I held PTS in my PTS Wallet for the Feb 28 snapshot, and so was allocated BTSX which I can verify when I check my PTS address at this page:
http://bitbalance.azurewebsites.net
I want to test trade my BTSX (I note it is now trade-able on BTER), and also use some of the functionality of Bitshares, and so want to get it into a wallet. So I downloaded the BTSX wallet from here:
http://bitshares-x.info
The question is what do I do now? How do I get my allocated BTSX into the wallet? For starters, I am not sure where to transfer from - where does my BTSX sit? Second, I am not sure what to use as the BTSX wallet address I am transferring to - is that the Account Key? Third, I noticed another thread suggesting the wallet is demo-mode - so can I actually use the wallet or Bitshares anyway? Fourth, I tried to register the account I set up in my wallet, but it won't let me register until I have BTSX in my account.

I'm very confused, and would appreciate somebody setting my understanding straight. Thanks...

You can look here. The last paragraph shows how to import PTS wallet. I have done it this way and it worked for me.

http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/Bitshares-x-how-to

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Import your private (PTS) keys/or wallet in the BTSX client/wallet.

If you do not know how to do that, ask and somebody will point/link you to the instruction.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline starspirit

• View Profile
Hi. I held PTS in my PTS Wallet for the Feb 28 snapshot, and so was allocated BTSX which I can verify when I check my PTS address at this page:
http://bitbalance.azurewebsites.net
I want to test trade my BTSX (I note it is now trade-able on BTER), and also use some of the functionality of Bitshares, and so want to get it into a wallet. So I downloaded the BTSX wallet from here:
http://bitshares-x.info
The question is what do I do now? How do I get my allocated BTSX into the wallet? For starters, I am not sure where to transfer from - where does my BTSX sit? Second, I am not sure what to use as the BTSX wallet address I am transferring to - is that the Account Key? Third, I noticed another thread suggesting the wallet is demo-mode - so can I actually use the wallet or Bitshares anyway? Fourth, I tried to register the account I set up in my wallet, but it won't let me register until I have BTSX in my account.

I'm very confused, and would appreciate somebody setting my understanding straight. Thanks...