Author Topic: _  (Read 22371 times)

Offline bytemaster

I think "BitShares DNS" is the best name for now because it is the least arbitrary.

It seems pretty important not to choose a silly or arbitrary name for this DAC, since we are talking about a completely generic global namespace that will be around for a long time—kind of the namespace to rule all namespaces. And there can really only be one, right?

So there shouldn't be any confusion about whether or not this is actually the one and only DPOS-based DNS blockchain officially endorsed by the BitShares community long-term.

Like for example the .P2P TLD is actually a kind of kludge for playing nicely with legacy DNS and may even have to change in the future (if someone comes along and buys it from ICANN) so that should maybe not be emphasized too much?

I think when talking about a generic namespace, having any name whatsoever is actually a disadvantage because the name of the namespace will inescapably "taint" or "color" the names inside the namespace. So I'd say the name "BitShares DNS" has the paradoxical advantage of almost not even being a name at all.

(The association with BitShares X ought to be beneficial as well since BTSX is awesome and hopefully will command even more respect as more features start rolling out.)

Just my 20 mBTC.

well said!
make sense...

+1
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
I think "BitShares DNS" is the best name for now because it is the least arbitrary.

It seems pretty important not to choose a silly or arbitrary name for this DAC, since we are talking about a completely generic global namespace that will be around for a long time—kind of the namespace to rule all namespaces. And there can really only be one, right?

So there shouldn't be any confusion about whether or not this is actually the one and only DPOS-based DNS blockchain officially endorsed by the BitShares community long-term.

Like for example the .P2P TLD is actually a kind of kludge for playing nicely with legacy DNS and may even have to change in the future (if someone comes along and buys it from ICANN) so that should maybe not be emphasized too much?

I think when talking about a generic namespace, having any name whatsoever is actually a disadvantage because the name of the namespace will inescapably "taint" or "color" the names inside the namespace. So I'd say the name "BitShares DNS" has the paradoxical advantage of almost not even being a name at all.

(The association with BitShares X ought to be beneficial as well since BTSX is awesome and hopefully will command even more respect as more features start rolling out.)

Just my 20 mBTC.

well said!
make sense...

Offline dbrock

• View Profile

Just my 20 mBTC.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Totally
Open
Autonomous
Symbol 
Tracking
Much better than what I came up with. We need that on a t-shirt.
++order_amount

Offline Riverhead

Totally
Open
Autonomous
Symbol 
Tracking
Much better than what I came up with. We need that on a t-shirt.

Offline bytemaster

Totally
Open
Autonomous
Symbol 
Tracking
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
Transparent Naming Services (though we'll  know T is for Toast).

Once again vote for TNS:
Trusted or Trustless Naming Services  - whichever is more appropriate. Though we'll  know T is for Toast

I like "Transparent Namespace Service"

so grab a Toast  +5%

BitShares TNS - Transparent Namespace Service

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

Once again vote for TNS:
Trusted or Trustless Naming Services  - whichever is more appropriate. Though we'll  know T is for Toast

I like "Transparent Namespace Service"
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Once again vote for TNS:
Oh yhea ..

lets call the units TIBs .. just like Bitcoins bits (idiotic name by the way)
* TIB for .. aehm .. Trusted .. aehm ... Interchange Basis ... :)
* Trusted Internet Bit
* Toast's Internet Baby :)

No. The units are crumbs. That is decided already!  :)
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
if you don't like BitToast or Bitshares Toast maybe

Bitshares TNS (Trusted Namespace Security) ist a good choice.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Once again vote for TNS:
Oh yhea ..

lets call the units TIBs .. just like Bitcoins bits (idiotic name by the way)
* TIB for .. aehm .. Trusted .. aehm ... Interchange Basis ... :)
* Trusted Internet Bit
* Toast's Internet Baby :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 04:41:19 pm by xeroc »

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Once again vote for TNS:
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Riverhead

Anyone remember this Amiga add on?  It also became a name people recognized and didn't associate with the crusty bread maker.  Not saying we should go with Bitshares Toast (though if the product is good enough the name won't matter too much) but the point is people can learn to disassociate.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
I hope this is a clever conspiracy to get me to go back to "BitShares DNS" ...

We hope you are openminded enough to see the big opportunity!
Think out of the box?

Offline CryptoPrometheus

• View Profile
APPLE

JAVA

TOAST

Part of a complete breakfast....

APPLE changed the face of computing
JAVA changed the face of the internet
TOAST will (holy cow, the implications!)

Could we really be onto something?

Raise your hand if you are serious about liking the idea of Toast naming his DAC TOAST (hand raised)!!!

"Power and law are not synonymous. In fact, they are often in opposition and irreconcilable."
- Cicero