Author Topic: Sending to Wrong Name  (Read 7059 times)

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
I personally believe many online businesses and in future even my local restaurant/hardware store/plumber/individual users, when it comes time to pay by BTSX or BitUSD would prefer an account name that matches their business/taste and they would be willing to pay a small premium for it.

In my opinion that should be done using BitShares DNS. We can have our own version of BIP 0070 where we use the BDNS authentication capabilities rather than X.509 certificates, and instead of the merchant passing a unique payment address to the customer, they give the customer's client their BTSX account name and a short code to automatically include in the memo of the transaction(s).

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Very, very good of you!

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
this particular dev's opinion is "BTSX namespace is ruined and that's ok". We have another DAC for that. What is your opinion about the state of gmail's namespace?

I may have misinterpreted the question.

Gmail, can no longer market convenient user accounts as a primary selling feature as the majority of favourable account names have been taken. If micro-payments were possible and a new significant mail service was launched, I think there would be some value in monetising certain forms of account names even for an email address, particularly for businesses. (As they use them to interact with customers)

As demonstrated by your concern about people sending funds to Toast by mistake. Canonizer wanting their account name. & the problem demonstrated in practice with people sending funds to the incorrect Bter in this thread, I personally believe BTSX account names have more value than say Gmail. (Again as they use them to interact with customers, and for money in this case, like bter, unlike Riverheads Scottrade name.)

I personally believe many online businesses and in future even my local restaurant/hardware store/plumber/individual users, when it comes time to pay by BTSX or BitUSD would prefer an account name that matches their business/taste and they would be willing to pay a small premium for it.

I also think we can market it as a unique feature for the first 24 months that a lot of favourable account names are available, but a $5000 attack could damage that and leave us with about the same level of account names you could expect to get if you signed up for a gmail account today. Ie. Toast7391@gmail.com  Which is why I think raising the cost to $0.1-0.25 is good idea.

Edit: I think I read that this can be mitigated some other way though, I forget.

It's just my opinon. 

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 07:30:15 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
Naturally, being the awesome guy that I am I sent it all back :D
*confirmed* ... awesome guy :)

what should i say - awesome guy -  +5% 8)
Thats why i'm proud to be part of this amazing community
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline Riverhead

.... What is your opinion about the state of gmail's namespace?
well played :)

+5%  guess it's a matter of having the right paradigm. You should see my Scottrade account "name"  :-\ .

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
.... What is your opinion about the state of gmail's namespace?
well played :)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
this particular dev's opinion is "BTSX namespace is ruined and that's ok". We have another DAC for that. What is your opinion about the state of gmail's namespace?
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Riverhead

Opinions seem to be mixed on the name issue. Names are not transferable but we may at some point have the ability to revoke a name. There has also been talk of a maintenance requirement to stop a name from becoming automatically revoked. I'm sure this is debated by the devs as well.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
de-registration would be nice, but it would make trading names easier  :-\
Won't happen .. every .. already discussed issue :)

I think they should at least raise the cost of registering a name to $0.1-$0.25.
It seems one of our key selling points is easy account names, but at less than $0.01 per name, you can take out 5 million names for $50k and significantly damage that selling point on our blockchain.

I've been told by the BitShares devs though that '*I* should stop acting like names have value'
So I'm probably wrong on this one.

Edit: My maths was wrong I think a name is only $0.001 so you can take out 5 million names with $5000?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 03:09:18 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

What will not happen - trading or deleting account?
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
tonyk I have a couple names I registered by mistake too in the excitement of the name rush. If it's not too much trouble you should add those accounts back to your hot wallet and see if they have a balance. It'd be easy to send the funds back to the sender because you'll see their name in the transaction history. They may not frequent the forum and just think they lost their funds.

Good on you for coming forward and explaining the chain of events. When I saw all the bter's registered I was pretty disappointed in my fellow humans. As I've come to learn they were either mistakes or a trusted person looking to cover other people's back sides it made me feel a lot better :).

Good Idea BUT:
I have to first figure out safe and yet working way to move just one account (I removed those 8 or 10 accounts from my wallet for a reason),and not the whole wallet. I am experiencing now some 'lost funds' issues related (I am guessing here) to 'not correctly' moving just one account from an old wallet to a new one.(see here: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=7049.0)

edit cass: updated IP to forum URL
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 07:11:36 pm by cass »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains

Offline Riverhead

tonyk I have a couple names I registered by mistake too in the excitement of the name rush. If it's not too much trouble you should add those accounts back to your hot wallet and see if they have a balance. It'd be easy to send the funds back to the sender because you'll see their name in the transaction history. They may not frequent the forum and just think they lost their funds.

Good on you for coming forward and explaining the chain of events. When I saw all the bter's registered I was pretty disappointed in my fellow humans. As I've come to learn they were either mistakes or a trusted person looking to cover other people's back sides it made me feel a lot better :).