Author Topic: Trello Grassroots Organization Marketing  (Read 4615 times)

Offline gamey

• View Profile

I realized it really isn't one or the other.  We can always have a thread owned by a community account (shared by trusted types) that are updated under Asana(?)'s task list.  I mean it takes some work, but..  we can figure out communicating  to forum...

if you guys think we should try to organize with Asana then ok..  No need to vote, I'll put forth effort to keep thread(s) updated.backwards.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

I'm not arguing for/against anything.  I agree with everyone here, but IMO this can still be done on a forum  quite efficiently if implemented properly.  It is just a different way of presenting lists in a hierarchy.  When you move to another platform, you are going to likely lose a few people who won't bother.  Forums keep it all in one place.

That said I don't really care to upkeep a thread on the subject personally, so anything that decentralizes reliance on any one person is good.

Who wants to set it up?  All I want is that it be publicly open to a url we give out.

well said ... ok i agree, before using trello .. i would recommend forum here :) Asana will cost .. so guess it's not best offer for community based management/collabo. tool ...
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline gamey

• View Profile
I'm not arguing for/against anything.  I agree with everyone here, but IMO this can still be done on a forum  quite efficiently if implemented properly.  It is just a different way of presenting lists in a hierarchy.  When you move to another platform, you are going to likely lose a few people who won't bother.  Forums keep it all in one place.

That said I don't really care to upkeep a thread on the subject personally, so anything that decentralizes reliance on any one person is good.

Who wants to set it up?  All I want is that it be publicly open to a url we give out.

edit - One last thing.  Before we do move to a different service I ask we put it to a vote and try to give each side a fair explanation.  I want to make sure 60% of the people who are actively posting won't find themselves being less active if we switch, etc.  Does Asana use a lot of email updates ?

Anyway, since it is grassroots, we should take a vote ?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:32:14 pm by gamey »

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
edit: VirginiaTech using asana also

█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
How do you efficiently organize efforts and execution in the forum? I have seen 10's of threads trying to do just that and it never works. Hence the reason we tried to move to Asana. It has nothing to do with secrecy, but with trying to find a better way to manage the project.

On the technological side there are threads, but they have the github platform by which to organize their efforts. The Asana project was meant to serve a similar purpose for marketing.

+5% +5% i really love asana .. it's IMO the best collaborative working software out there .... we really should consider to use it

https://asana.com/

Mentioned this months before ... then we worked a bit with trello .. but honestly .. i really don't like workflow on trello

Offline bitcoinba

• View Profile
How do you efficiently organize efforts and execution in the forum? I have seen 10's of threads trying to do just that and it never works. Hence the reason we tried to move to Asana. It has nothing to do with secrecy, but with trying to find a better way to manage the project.

On the technological side there are threads, but they have the github platform by which to organize their efforts. The Asana project was meant to serve a similar purpose for marketing.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
It's not so much about keeping things secret, more about organizing things and letting ppl know what they can do to help a certain community effort.

+5%

Offline gamey

• View Profile
I am strictly against hiding anything from the community .. and I have a feeling that BM follows the same sentiments ..

The only things worth beeing kept private are financial issues and issues that concern I3 directly (as a legal entity) ..

Well that is fine, but there are situations where community members might not want everyone knowing their business.  This can be for numerous reasons.  It could be that I wish to talk about the psychology of opponents in a frank manner and don't want them to read it.  I've been in secret society rooms before or whatever.  They can be very very valuable if the gatekeeper is good about it or it can just be an ego stroking fest.  Meh. 

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
It's not so much about keeping things secret, more about organizing things and letting ppl know what they can do to help a certain community effort.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I am strictly against hiding anything from the community .. and I have a feeling that BM follows the same sentiments ..

The only things worth beeing kept private are financial issues and issues that concern I3 directly (as a legal entity) ..

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
If we want secrecy + openness we need only model the tiered structure of secret societies. Use the open marketing forum to poach smart people who contribute value and invite them to an invite only forum for the secret projects.

I'd say go with three layers:

Tier 1: Open Forum
Tier 2: Private Forum
Tier 3: Top Secret

In all seriousness, unless there is money being exchanged what is worth keeping secret ?   BTSX is going to take over Wall Street etc so we aren't even going to be targeting frontline bitcoiners that hard.  Perhaps some of the higher level talk about how to frame things etc we might want to keep a bit secretive, but is it worth it ?

I don't know, I'm just putting options out there. Personally I think most things can be kept public.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
If we want secrecy + openness we need only model the tiered structure of secret societies. Use the open marketing forum to poach smart people who contribute value and invite them to an invite only forum for the secret projects.

In all seriousness, unless there is money being exchanged what is worth keeping secret ?   BTSX is going to take over Wall Street etc so we aren't even going to be targeting frontline bitcoiners that hard.  Perhaps some of the higher level talk about how to frame things etc we might want to keep a bit secretive, but is it worth it ?

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Little brainstorming on what the organizational solution might need:
- listing tasks for the community, sometimes associated with bounties sometimes not.
- possibly (kind of a seperate idea; toast liked it the rest of the i3 staff didnt give any feedback): A way of directing i3 staff to crucial posts here (reduced time for them and makes the i3 - forum communication more efficient) https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=6901.0
- ?

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Gamey; shoot me a pm with your email. Check it out, it can't hurt. The true potential of a grass roots marketing effort needs to be more organized, I can't see how we would do it in the forum alone, or least it would be less effective.

I agree potential of other software is far greater than forum, however there is a cost associated with

1) having to switch other sites (maintain activity on 2 sites)
2) having to learn new software is not as inspiring and is a barrier to entry.

Anyway, I'm going to start a global list from the forums, so people interested in contributing can go to central point and try to figure out how the might like to become involved.  Whether we decide to also use Trello or Asana can still be discussed, as the stickied thread I make will not be mutually exclusive/competing.

Offline bitcoinba

• View Profile
Gamey; shoot me a pm with your email. Check it out, it can't hurt. The true potential of a grass roots marketing effort needs to be more organized, I can't see how we would do it in the forum alone, or least it would be less effective.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Well seems like enough people agree with me I will start a thread referencing other grass roots attempts/proposals etc.  Unfortunately I can't make the OP modifiable, but I will incorporate any requested changes etc.

I looked at trello and while nice, I almost feel having to deal with another bit of software is not a good thing.  It would help others add things directly and let the organization be more grassroots perhaps. That  would be positive.  Either way, a thread starting an open organizational attempt will be a good thing.

I haven't tried to be invited to the Asana group yet, I should check that out. I really think a stickied thread in marketing is the best way to go.  It is needed for the forum anyway so I'll take lead.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
Guess Brian has a lot of other things on task list currently! :)
Agree! But it would be great if we could agree (and I3 would approve or push it) to have a way to organize community efforts more effectively. I tried / suggested a few things.

+5% The intellectual capital of this community should not be underestimated.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Agree! But it would be great if we could agree (and I3 would approve or push it) to have a way to organize community efforts more effectively. I tried / suggested a few things.

Things would work waaaay more effecctive if we had someone that is something like a community organizer or a small team of community organizers. This person or this team can then decide on whether to use trello for example or any such stuff that only gets of the ground if there is someone (approved) that takes the lead.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 10:19:10 pm by delulo »

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 10:05:11 pm by cass »

Offline wesphily

• View Profile
could you get into contact with "MktDirector" (aka Brian Page) .. pls

thanks for letting us know

Brian has 0 interest in grass roots marketing. The last time I mentioned this he let me know how successful his "pr guy" is with google search hits. He does not value grass roots high enough to spend time on it like he does his other marketing initiatives. (good or bad? not my call) This will have to be something that the community does on its own.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
Quote from: gamey
I am torn between privacy and being open.  I hate to give out a template on how to market a coin to others who might possibly not have thought up the same ideas.  On the other hand making it private can be a good way to lose steam and miss out on valuable contributors.

My thoughts exactly.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
A few months back I created an Asana Project for what we called "Team Viral" at the time.

Unfortunately, we sort of lost steam, but it does already exist and there about 8 of us already joined. We had  begun to start organizing some more viral marketing oriented stuff, and the work is Asana still.

Probably good to continue with it. If anyone wants to join, just send me a pm with your email address.

I like this.

I am torn between privacy and being open.  I hate to give out a template on how to market a coin to others who might possibly not have thought up the same ideas.  On the other hand making it private can be a good way to lose steam and miss out on valuable contributors.  By being open you have a lot better chance to grow.  Even a private board can be easily infiltrated (lol) as none of us know each other so there is no vouching system. 

So that makes me think it should be open.  If it is open, then I wonder if a stickied thread where I (and moderators) can edit it to add "projects".  So instead of having a second site to deal with, we make due with SMF in an organized manner. 

Here is a proposed idea to try to bring order.  If i can get several people following the system then it could work.

1 stickied thread which I can start so I can edit it (It can be proven I waste a lot of time on this forum)

So this thread is the top level list of projects/proposals/sub-lists.

Each sub-thread (project etc) has a maintainer of sorts who is the original poster.  The original post is edited as needed to keep up with the project as needed.  It can be kept track of by the current functionality in the SMF. (View replies to your posts).

What are peoples thoughts ?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 07:46:34 pm by gamey »

Offline bitcoinba

• View Profile
A few months back I created an Asana Project for what we called "Team Viral" at the time.

Unfortunately, we sort of lost steam, but it does already exist and there about 8 of us already joined. We had  begun to start organizing some more viral marketing oriented stuff, and the work is Asana still.

Probably good to continue with it. If anyone wants to join, just send me a pm with your email address.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
I'm really starting to think this needs to be used/done.

Too many ideas floating around for a forum. 

edit - Not just ideas, but i suppose a mixture of calls to action + general forum chatter.  It'd be nice to have all the calls to action (or whatever i just made that up) in a single easy to use interface.

Offline pseudoscops

+5% for this suggestion. Was there any movement on this...?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
could you get into contact with "MktDirector" (aka Brian Page) .. pls

thanks for letting us know

Offline hpenvy

• View Profile
I'd like to recommend the community look into https://trello.com/ for organizing tasks for grassroots marketing initiatives.
=============
btsx address: hpenvy
Tips appreciated for good work