Author Topic: Confirmation time, is this normal?  (Read 20968 times)

Offline simplydt

• View Profile
Re: Confirmation time, is this normal?
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2013, 06:17:49 pm »
The slow confirmation times appear to be the result of one or more miners having adopted a policy of refusing to include more than one transaction per block.  See here:

http://btsblock.com/chain/ProtoShares

Ypool (the largest pool) appears to be one the bad actors.  If you compare block numbers from their stats page to the blockchain explorer, it looks like all of ypool's blocks are only including 1 transaction at most.

Thus, everyone trying to send PTS through the network is having to wait until someone else (such as the beeeeer pool) find a block, at which point a bunch of transactions finally get included in a block.

Wow that really sucks, it makes complete sense now. Funny thing is, maybe if that wasnt happening i wouldnt have gotten hacked. I was freaking out about why my coins werent sending for 4 hours. In those 4 hours i could have probably done other useful things like encrypt my wallet instead of worrying about why the coins cant be used.. thanks for the explanation. :)

Offline hiddenvalleyranch

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 12:36:02 am »
Mine took about 10 hours ~100 confirmations

Crazy... aren't we still finding about a block per minute?

Offline ehalvers

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2013, 12:28:21 am »
Mine took about 10 hours ~100 confirmations

Offline hiddenvalleyranch

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 12:13:57 am »
Yeah its been about 20 minutes... 0 confirmations. I remember when I would have hundreds in 20 minutes.

Offline ehalvers

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 10:56:35 pm »
100 blocks later, still no PTS at btc38.  at the rate BTC is climbing, the price is gonna dip below the .01 I bought them for by the time I can get to them.

Same here....so......disappoint....sad  :'( :'( :'( :'(

EDIT: PTS FINALLY SHOWED UP!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 11:57:07 pm by ehalvers »

Offline sixteendigits

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 10:38:13 pm »
100 blocks later, still no PTS at btc38.  at the rate BTC is climbing, the price is gonna dip below the .01 I bought them for by the time I can get to them.

Offline GurungBoi

• Trust is a man's dignity and pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 08:02:37 pm »
difficulty + the amt of orphans ypool was getting probably.
PTS : PYoeV73D2VsY8HQYmHXECoFUksoxzW9vxA     BTC :18FMQ4jA98JwosE5AMAuyDCH1JSLXS41nc  LTC :LPKCvG4VSFvxM4gsWxe6cCsqSJZ7q6V5BF

Tip/Donate if you feel I helped you u in some way.

Offline iruu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 07:46:20 pm »
Let's discard all transactions and sell our mined pts! What could possibly go wrong?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 07:55:15 pm by iruu »

Offline jh00

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 07:41:51 pm »
PTS generally has a slow confirmation time.

But yes, ypool is probably the cause for the massive delays. A while ago I noticed a bug in my code that caused blocks that have many transactions get declined by the network, as a hotfix I simply disabled that mempool transactions are added to the blocks mined by ypool. Since then I didn't have a single second to implement the correct fix. As you all are likely aware, ypool has been pestered by various attacks, hardware problems and annoying providers. Now that it all has calmed down I finally have some time to implement the fix.

Be aware that transaction confirmation works as always, it's just the accept to block phase that is delayed. No reason for panic.

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 07:40:52 pm »
The slow confirmation times appear to be the result of one or more miners having adopted a policy of refusing to include more than one transaction per block.  See here:

Ypool (the largest pool) appears to be one the bad actors.  If you compare block numbers from their stats page to the blockchain explorer, it looks like all of ypool's blocks are only including 1 transaction at most.

Thus, everyone trying to send PTS through the network is having to wait until someone else (such as the beeeeer pool) find a block, at which point a bunch of transactions finally get included in a block.

Why would they refuse transactions?

I hadn't realized this was going on, but was noticing that most of my transactions took 2-4 blocks before getting confirmed, even though I paid the fees.  At least now I know why that was happening.

If I had to guess they assumed that refusing transactions would reduce the orphan count and thus give their pool an edge.   Overall ypool seems to be a bad actor and I would highly recommend supporting another pool. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline glongsword

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 07:35:23 pm »

Why would they refuse transactions?

I hadn't realized this was going on, but was noticing that most of my transactions took 2-4 blocks before getting confirmed, even though I paid the fees.  At least now I know why that was happening.

Offline Kyune

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 07:32:03 pm »

Offline sixteendigits

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 07:26:36 pm »
at coinsgrounds right now, many people are having this issue all of a sudden.  I withdrew some PTS from bter 2 hours ago and still don't have them.  bter doesn't pay transaction fees appartently, but that's out of my control.  sent dozen of transactions over the last couple days with 0 transaction fee and never had an issue.  something isn't right here.

Offline simplydt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 02:24:37 pm »
Or could it be because

version" : 80500,
"protocolversion" : 70001,
"walletversion" : 60000,
"blocks" : 18936,
"timeoffset" : 0,
"connections" : 8,
"proxy" : "",
"difficulty" : 0.00051405,
"testnet" : false,
"keypoololdest" : 1384426982,
"keypoolsize" : 101,
"paytxfee" : 0.00000000,
"errors" : ""

paytxfee ==0 , is that normal? Maybe because its not paying tx fee its acting super slow?

Offline simplydt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 02:21:49 pm »
I'm guessing its windows being gay. Is there a guide somewhere to set it up for ubuntu?

Edit: Found the guide, will try it on ubuntu https://github.com/InvictusInnovations/ProtoShares/blob/psforkinit/doc/readme-qt.rst
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 02:38:15 pm by simplydt »