Author Topic: Can't transfer wallet.dat from one Windows computer to another. What's wrong?  (Read 1876 times)

Offline resetbutton

• View Profile
I have wallet.old and wallet.dat (from USB) in the Bitshares PTS folder now. It's still loading the newer (empty) wallet instead of the one from teh USB. It never bothered syncing, since it already synced a few minutes ago.  :-\

I even reinstalled the client, but it still hasn't downloaded the blockchain again. Weird.

Offline testz

Move pts.dat from USB drive to the bitshares PTS folder

If you already have good backup, close the client, rename wallet.dat to wallet.old, copy pts.dat as wallet.dat into BitShares-PTS folder and run BitShares-PTS client, you should see all your funds.

Offline resetbutton

• View Profile
You cannot make the client use a 'different wallet.dat' easily ..
I suggest you

1) create an empty wallet.dat file
2) get a new address you can load your PTS into
3) close the wallet
4) make a backup of the wallet.dat file
5) mv your old wallet.dat file in the place of the new one (BACKUP) ... must be called wallet.dat
6) restart the client (takes some time as it has to rescan the blockchain, maybe)
7) transfer you funds to the address of your new wallet .. from step 2

Thank you, I'll try that.

In step 1, am I creating a new wallet.dat file by installing the client on the new computer? I'm not sure how to create an empty one, I've only installed the client and made a backup.

I tried working through it by creating a wallet.dat backup in the new wallet, and saving it in the library folder. I copied and replaced it with the wallet.dat from my USB drive, no luck. It's already synced from earlier.

I may just give up and transfer my PTS instead of messing with the wallet.dat file, thanks though.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
You cannot make the client use a 'different wallet.dat' easily ..
I suggest you

1) create an empty wallet.dat file
2) get a new address you can load your PTS into
3) close the wallet
4) make a backup of the wallet.dat file
5) mv your old wallet.dat file in the place of the new one (BACKUP) ... must be called wallet.dat
6) restart the client (takes some time as it has to rescan the blockchain, maybe)
7) transfer you funds to the address of your new wallet .. from step 2

Offline resetbutton

• View Profile
Here's what I'm doing:

Making backup file pts.dat from the wallet on my laptop with all the PTS

Put that file into USB drive, eject

finding Bitshares PTS folder on new computer

put the new computer's pts.dat into recycle bin (don't need it, moving my old wallet to new computer)

Move pts.dat from USB drive to the bitshares PTS folder

From here, I've tried clicking on the Bitshares-PTS client, and opening the pts.dat file with the client. I would just create a new wallet and send the PTS, but I feel like I should learn how to understand how it works...even though I feel like a complete moron right now.

Do any of you experienced Bitshares people know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance.