Author Topic: Why is the focus on BitShares and not BitAssets  (Read 2110 times)

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
We could focus on DACs, we could focus on BitSharesX, on bitAssets or any of a half dozen other things coming out of this innovation machine, but our brand is one thing - BitShares.

Without a brand, a concept, or an idea for the public to get their mind around, you have nothing that will scale. It won't be understood or adopted.  Look at google. They have gmail, google maps, google this and google that. But they started as Google. They were so good at branding, they became a verb!

Believe me, I am as much of a believer in bitAssets as anyone (I was the first to say the phrase "bitAssets are the real Bitcoin killer") but we start with BitShares. Everything starts there. 

B

Google's main product is thier search engine. It is easy and everyday people use it. BitShares is complex technology which should be marketed to the tech folks and traders. BitAssets ( to everyday people who want to enable their website so I can pay in BitUSD, right? If we focus our efforts on the product the technology will benefit as well. People who want to understand the underlying tech will flow to bitshares and use it to trade. Mass adoption of BitAssets in my opinion is better than marketing to a few hundred geeks..

Yes, bitAsset adoption first then traders will naturally start using the exchange. With that said, before bitAssets can be adopted, the peg must be close to 1:1 and very stable.

Offline CrazyCriple

• View Profile
We could focus on DACs, we could focus on BitSharesX, on bitAssets or any of a half dozen other things coming out of this innovation machine, but our brand is one thing - BitShares.

Without a brand, a concept, or an idea for the public to get their mind around, you have nothing that will scale. It won't be understood or adopted.  Look at google. They have gmail, google maps, google this and google that. But they started as Google. They were so good at branding, they became a verb!

Believe me, I am as much of a believer in bitAssets as anyone (I was the first to say the phrase "bitAssets are the real Bitcoin killer") but we start with BitShares. Everything starts there. 

B

Google's main product is thier search engine. It is easy and everyday people use it. BitShares is complex technology which should be marketed to the tech folks and traders. BitAssets ( to everyday people who want to enable their website so I can pay in BitUSD, right? If we focus our efforts on the product the technology will benefit as well. People who want to understand the underlying tech will flow to bitshares and use it to trade. Mass adoption of BitAssets in my opinion is better than marketing to a few hundred geeks..

jakub

I disagree.
The concept of Bitshares is a bit complex so we need the smart people as early adopters. And smart people don't care about the brand, they don't care about Facebook. They've had enough of this brain washing shit. What they need is understand how it can be useful for them and how they can bring about a big change in the world by using it.
And the whole usefulness lies in bitAssets, this should be the primary focus. Without bitAssets Bitshares X is just another crypto currency, fast and convenient (thanks to DPOS and TITAN) but otherwise not that much different to NXT.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 08:21:45 am by jakub »

merockstar

B

"that was a such a good looking stock, but I didn't want to deal with actually buying some of the stock because I didn't enough money to justify e-trade or whatever. I ended up having to BitShare that shit."

Offline MktDirector

• View Profile

B

Offline CrazyCriple

• View Profile
patience guys until the product gets more stable in newer versions... let's eliminate first some bug's and the product will well known to the masses very soon...

I didn't mean the lack of it at the moment. I was questioning the focus once it is stable :)

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
patience guys until the product gets more stable in newer versions... let's eliminate first some bug's and the product will well known to the masses very soon...

jakub

+5% A very good point.

Indeed, BitAssets is the product and BitShares X is only the technology that produces it.
We celebrate the technology because we've put effort to create it but our effort is not relevant to the outside world. The end user only cares whether the product might be useful for them.
That's where the marketing effort should go.

Offline CrazyCriple

• View Profile
I'm just interested why marketing focuses on BitShares(company) and not BitAssets(product).

I can see the reasoning a little if I focus on the crypto community pro's but if I look at the big picture all that count's is the product.

Thoughts?