Author Topic: Wallet import crashes, older imports lose balance.  (Read 2136 times)

Offline vikram

Are you letting the blockchain sync before importing the wallet backups? You will not see your balances before the chain is synced. Others have reported crashes when importing before fully synced.

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
In the 0.4.10 release these methods may help you recover balances and recipient information.

I don't see 0.4.10 in the tags on GitHub.

Master branch.. 0.4.10 has not been finalized.  I am working on some wallet stuff now.

What you said about the recovery not taking into account market transactions, that makes sense. My last transactions are actually orders, so perhaps that's why old wallet doesn't get recovered.

I'll sync to master and rebuild and report back.

Offline bytemaster

In the 0.4.10 release these methods may help you recover balances and recipient information.

Master branch.. 0.4.10 has not been finalized.  I am working on some wallet stuff now.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
with the json file you had problems try this: open it with a text editor and go to the last lines...  2 or 3 lines before the last line erase the last coma ( , ) and save the file.  Try importing the json file again from your wallet  :)
It was a wallet version that did that "mistake" , maybe you had make an export with the wallet that had this issue...

I tried that, turned out this didn't have the comma.

I am more concerned that importing an older wallet makes the account unrecoverable.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
with the json file you had problems try this: open it with a text editor and go to the last lines...  2 or 3 lines before the last line erase the last coma ( , ) and save the file.  Try importing the json file again from your wallet  :)
It was a wallet version that did that "mistake" , maybe you had make an export with the wallet that had this issue...

Offline bytemaster

Code: [Select]
wallet_recover_accounts <accounts_to_recover> [maximum_number_of_attempts]                         
wallet_recover_transaction <transaction_id_prefix> [recipient_account] 

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
Also worth noting, I thought this was a Windows problem. I did try to import the wallet on Ubuntu, it generated seg-fault.

How do I maximize the debug logging, so we can examine that?

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
So I backup my data folders and my wallets religiously before/after each update.

With the new version, I can download sync/etc but only with a fresh install/clean data folder.

However trying to import the wallets crashes the system completely.

Someone said that wallets are deterministic and you can never lose the information, so long as you have the private key and the password.

So I figured ok, tried to import an older wallet - voila it didn't crash... HOWEVER I see 0 balances, and transaction show as sent to "UNKNOWN".

Given that I have the JSON from before that happened, could that still be used somehow to recover these UNKNOWN transactions?

Also, what about the people who ONLY exported the "bad" wallet ( I think this started in 0.4.8 )

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 05:31:47 pm by bitmeat »