Author Topic: Was TITAN a bad idea (terribly timed feature)?  (Read 6744 times)

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline gyhy

• View Profile

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

@ all of you that call them lost - they are not lost... My OP was to just point it was rather pointless to introduce TiTAN, so some of us think they are lost and the developers spent time to make them available as soon as possible.

Best time to introduce TITAN? -imho, at some point after the peg has started working as expected... as just a new great  feature.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Given that due to TITAN I lost over 50K BTSX. I'd say yes. (It may be recovered at some point... who knows)

I also think TITAN adds a ton of extra risk. 3 letter agencies absolutely hate privacy. It should've been added after it's used by big businesses.

I've lost BTSX too. I assume it's not lost forever but tools can be made in the future to recover it. 
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline CoinHoarder

• In Cryptocoins I Trust
    • View Profile
I guess BM is spending enormous amount of time providing support for 'account/amounts' floating in the blockchain (for reference check the # of new commands in the last release), while the greatest invention after the internet, could have well gone without the benefits of TITAN (and still remained the greatest thing in the last x.... years).

Ah, I see what you mean. I have an idea to fix this.

I propose making a troubleshooting tab to be included in the client instead of having the commands hidden in the console tab. Make it super user friendly to troubleshoot different problems. Under that trouble shooting tab there can be the following:

• For "Not Connected" issues or Resync issues, try the following:
    • A button that increases # of connected peers:
      network_set_advanced_node_parameters {"desired_number_of_connections":50, "maximum_number_of_connections":100}
    • A button that adds nodes manually:
      network_add_node "107.170.211.129:1700" add
      network_add_node "80.240.133.79:1776" add
      network_add_node "188.226.195.137:60696" add
      network_add_node "76.74.170.79:54200" add
      network_add_node "176.9.234.166:1700" add
      network_add_node "180.153.142.120:1777" add
      network_add_node "162.243.220.142:1777" add
      network_add_node "84.238.140.192:42577" add
      network_add_node "5.101.106.138:1778" add
      network_add_node "69.164.192.144:1700" add
      network_add_node "192.168.0.14:1776" add
      network_add_node "78.46.32.25:1776" add
      network_add_node "192.168.0.12:44327" add
      network_add_node "70.114.143.108:1776" add
      network_add_node "106.187.91.24:38581" add
      network_add_node "106.185.26.162:1981" add
      network_add_node "188.138.107.159:1776" add
      network_add_node "104.131.136.190:1776" add
      network_add_node "95.85.33.16:8764" add
      network_add_node "198.199.103.79:1776" add
      network_add_node "104.131.234.136:8801" add
  • If your balance is wrong or missing, try the following:
    • A button that resyncs the block chain:
      wallet_rescan_blockchain
    • Etc.
  • Etc.

Make it stupidly easy to troubleshoot the most common issues, then less people will come and ask about how to fix these things.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 05:36:43 am by CoinHoarder »
https://www.decentralized.tech/ -> Market Data, Portfolios, Information, Links, Reviews, Forums, Blogs, Etc.
https://www.cryptohun.ch/ -> Tradable Blockchain Asset PvP Card Game

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
Given that due to TITAN I lost over 50K BTSX. I'd say yes. (It may be recovered at some point... who knows)

I also think TITAN adds a ton of extra risk. 3 letter agencies absolutely hate privacy. It should've been added after it's used by big businesses.

You have not lost them... I have 40 to 75K BTSX floating around the blockchain myself, my point is difference thou - BM is spending unnecessary time fixing a 'problem' he had no reason (no benefit) in creating in the first place.

Assume 3 letter agencies already track you. You think they this forum?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
TITAN is just about number one on my list why I am using bitshares (equally it would be transaction speed).

To get rid of TITAN would be insane in my opinion. Anonymous coins will pretty much be the norm going forward. Why would it be any other way?

It is a great invention, no question! I am not against it at all.

Just wasn't the right time. As Onion pointed out, it introduced unnecessary problems.

That said, it's always easier after the fact, even with that - it is impressive what they've gotten done in this period of time.

It's always easier to project what's possible and to expect instant gratification, but things always take much longer to develop.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile

My answer is unequivocally YES.

I know BM's No.

But what is yours?

Why do you think this?
What would have been a better time?

I think it's a good feature but it's also got pros and cons. I basically said the same thing when it was announced.

Offline cygnify

• View Profile
TITAN is just about number one on my list why I am using bitshares (equally it would be transaction speed).

To get rid of TITAN would be insane in my opinion. Anonymous coins will pretty much be the norm going forward. Why would it be any other way?

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

You have not lost them... I have 40 to 75K BTSX floating around the blockchain myself, my point is difference thou - BM is spending unnecessary time fixing a 'problem' he had no reason (no benefit) in creating in the first place.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

I know BM's No.

But what is yours?

If I have 100000 BTC.
I send 0.01 BTC to some guy around my street to buy several pizza.

He can see my 100000 BTC in the blockchain,know that I'm rich.

And some day, he lost he job,have a sick kid, sick wife,mouths to feed .

He can easily kidnap me and ask for my 100000 BTC.

So,do you understand why we need TITAN ?

I hope you understand that even with TITAN he can do that, if he has $500 to pay me (somebody) to do the analyses for him...

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

I guess BM is spending enormous amount of time providing support for 'account/amounts' floating in the blockchain (for reference check the # of new commands in the last release), while the greatest invention after the internet, could have well gone without the benefits of TITAN (and still remained the greatest thing in the last x.... years).

Offline CoinHoarder

• In Cryptocoins I Trust
    • View Profile

I know BM's No.

But what is yours?

You need to elaborate more than an "unequivocally YES."

I like that it forces people to used "Bitcoin's best practices", because most people don't know about the dangers poor financial privacy practices can bring. I think that we should look at making Bitshares DACs more anonymous than simply using TITAN through the use of ring signatures, coin join implementation, or zerocoin.

Big privacy advocate here.. what do you mean by "terribly timed feature" ?
https://www.decentralized.tech/ -> Market Data, Portfolios, Information, Links, Reviews, Forums, Blogs, Etc.
https://www.cryptohun.ch/ -> Tradable Blockchain Asset PvP Card Game

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

I know BM's No.

But what is yours?