Author Topic: Was TITAN a bad idea (terribly timed feature)?  (Read 6858 times)

Offline James212

• View Profile
TITAN is great...
But it would be awesome if somebody could choose some accounts to work without it somehow with a button for example right to the account...
So the user could choose which account are "hidden" and which not ...

2 in 1...

Sorry but I think that is terrible idea.  You can imagine that in the future government could force payment gateways to only deal with BTSX account which are not using TITAN.

If you take away the ability for people to choose, they will just move up a layer, and refuse to use that entire type of crypto currency which uses anything like Titan.

It will always come back to hurt you when you do anything to destroy something someone else wants.  It will always come back by someone else trying to destroy what you want, one way or another.  The only way is to find out what everyone wants, and find creative ways to get all of it for everyone.  Only then, will it not come back to byte you, by someone else trying to destroy what you want.
Hi Brent.Allsop,

I think it will be very hard to get all of it for everyone. :)
With BTSX, will be either privacy for everyone or transparency for everyone. Just look at BTC, it is nearly impossible to get more privacy in the code now. In the perfect world I agree we could have a choice, but this is the world  where governments would use this option to force everybody to be transparent so they would know everything about everybody.
We have example of this already with so called tainted bitcoins. I am personally for 100% privacy for private individuals and 100% transparency for the governments and all public bodies. Governments spend our money therefore need for transparency, but not for us as we do not spend others people money. Maybe one day we will have fork of BTSX without TITAN if there is enough demand for it. For me I say more TITAN and more privacy for individuals.

Respectfully
aloha  :)

+5%
BTS: theangelwaveproject

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile
TITAN is great...
But it would be awesome if somebody could choose some accounts to work without it somehow with a button for example right to the account...

2 in 1...

Sorry but I think that is terrible idea.  You can imagine that in the future government could force payment gateways to only deal with BTSX account which are not using TITAN.

If you take away the ability for people to choose, they will just move up a layer, and refuse to use that entire type of crypto currency which uses anything like Titan.

It will always come back to hurt you when you do anything to destroy something someone else wants.  It will always come back by someone else trying to destroy what you want, one way or another.  The only way is to find out what everyone wants, and find creative ways to get all of it for everyone.  Only then, will it not come back to byte you, by someone else trying to destroy what you want.
Hi Brent.Allsop,

I think it will be very hard to get all of it for everyone. :)
With BTSX, will be either privacy for everyone or transparency for everyone. Just look at BTC, it is nearly impossible to get more privacy in the code now. In the perfect world I agree we could have a choice, but this is the world  where governments would use this option to force everybody to be transparent so they would know everything about everybody.
We have example of this already with so called tainted bitcoins. I am personally for 100% privacy for private individuals and 100% transparency for the governments and all public bodies. Governments spend our money therefore need for transparency, but not for us as we do not spend others people money. Maybe one day we will have fork of BTSX without TITAN if there is enough demand for it. For me I say more TITAN and more privacy for individuals.

Respectfully
aloha  :)

Offline fuzzy

TITAN as it is implemented right now is mostly ease of use...

The only way I know of funds being lost with TITAN is by sending to the wrong name and I have lost BTC the same way (having someone send to the wrong address).

Future versions will eliminate the need for everyone to scan everything.

Future versions will have enhanced privacy multi-part transfers.

Oh seriously bm, can you stop adding to the value proposition for our investment?  It is making us enemies >.<
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline bytemaster

TITAN as it is implemented right now is mostly ease of use...

The only way I know of funds being lost with TITAN is by sending to the wrong name and I have lost BTC the same way (having someone send to the wrong address).

Future versions will eliminate the need for everyone to scan everything.

Future versions will have enhanced privacy multi-part transfers.

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

sumantso

How did you all lose BTSX?

I haven't opened the wallet at all since 0.4.7a so would like to know if it is a wallet problem before upgrading.

Regarding TITAN, I think there should be an easy way to 'sign' an account so that anyone else can verify the balance if needed.

Offline Brent.Allsop

• View Profile
    • Canonizer.com
TITAN is great...

2 in 1...

Offline Brent.Allsop

• View Profile
    • Canonizer.com
TITAN is great...

2 in 1...

+5%

Offline James212

• View Profile
BTS: theangelwaveproject

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
If anything TITAN needs to be stronger. It isn't very anonymous if it can be defeated by a growing number of people that have the know how to do a block chain analyses. 

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile
TITAN is great...

2 in 1...

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
TITAN is great...

2 in 1...

Offline stuartcharles

• View Profile
i think TITAN is a good idea

Yes, it is.
Just a badly timed one.

It would have been badly timed to release it later when we are out of beta. The current crypto client base of libertarians, coders and geeks find the bugs stressful. If TITAN was left till later when more of the general public are using it, they would not tolerate bugs at all making it impossible to release it.

As for the three letter agencies. Its not just BTSX that is working to defend privacy. The days where its acceptable for them to have their faces pushed up against are windows are coming to an end and thats just a fact of this time.

sumantso

Offline ag

• View Profile
also because of stealth transactions I think we have more costly transfers. My understanding is with Titan that each online client has to do to expensive crypto computation on each transfer transaction in a block to determine if the transaction belongs to them or not.

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
Similar problems(missing balances, non-backed up keys etc) might have existed even without TITAN.
Bad idea - No. (Just my opinion.)
Terribly timed feature - No. Better implement it in the beginning than re-educate users later on.