Author Topic: Upgrade to 0.4.10 went smoothly but I have some feedback....  (Read 1095 times)

jakub

It took about twenty minutes, perhaps a bit more, of my client saying "Not Connected" before I could see that I was syncing the blockchain (i.e. Last block was synced.. and spinning arrows). So for those twenty minutes nothing to indicate any kind of activity. To the untrained eye it just looks like you're wallet is not connected and the client is busted - i.e. not connecting for some reason. I have noticed this behavior with previous versions of the client too when re-syncing from scratch. I assume this is what a brand new user of the Bitshares X client would also experience and it might just lead to them giving up and thinking the client is not working.

I confirm the same problem exists on Windows 7: it takes several minutes of being "Not Connected" before the sync process begins. Can be very confusing.

I put in an order for my first BitUSD via the market and it does not seem to have executed despite there being sell orders that are lower than my bid. Is this because the market is still paused?

This is probably due to the new set of price restrictions that were introduced in 0.4.10.
More details here:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=8019.msg105759#msg105759

Offline pseudoscops

All went smoothly on this upgrade. However I think there is quite an important refinement required for the GUI (on OSX at least).

I'm working remotely on a slowish mobile connection at the moment. About 4Mbps, 82ms latency to the nearest speedtest node. So not too bad. I decided to reset and re-index the DB when 0.4.10 asked if I'd like to do so. I did this as 0.4.9 had crashed on last attempt to launch it and so I thought it safest to re-index and res-sync the whole blockchain. I assume 0.4.9 crashed because of the changes made in 0.4.10 because it was working fine before.

It took about twenty minutes, perhaps a bit more, of my client saying "Not Connected" before I could see that I was syncing the blockchain (i.e. Last block was synced.. and spinning arrows). So for those twenty minutes nothing to indicate any kind of activity. To the untrained eye it just looks like you're wallet is not connected and the client is busted - i.e. not connecting for some reason. I have noticed this behavior with previous versions of the client too when re-syncing from scratch. I assume this is what a brand new user of the Bitshares X client would also experience and it might just lead to them giving up and thinking the client is not working.

So anyway I checked network activity during the 20mins of 'Not Connected" and sure enough iStats menu networking module reported that Bitshares X was busy downloading something. Can I suggest that the status message is changed from 'Not Connected' to something else that indicates there is some activity. Perhaps 'Intializing' or 'Downloading' with the spinning arrows moving too?

These seemingly small details are easy for 'veteran' Bitshares X users to gloss over or perhaps not even notice, but they'll hamper early adoption by others if not dealt with. I've searched BitShares/qt_wallet on GitHub to see if I can send a pull request with a change to the string 'Not Connected' but the string does not show up when I search the repo. How can I change this and send a pull request? Or can someone else easily tweak this so it is less confusing, ideally to include the spinning wheels.

Also it seems like when the client locks whilst still syncing to the blockchain, if a full sync was not possible on first launch before the wallet auto-locks itself then when you unlock the "Not connected" status appears again briefly. I think this is perhaps because the client stops syncing and disconnects from the networks automatically locks itself. Is this the case? Incidentally it took about 3 hours to fully sync for some reason, but now all seems to be working.

I put in an order for my first BitUSD via the market and it does not seem to have executed despite there being sell orders that are lower than my bid. Is this because the market is still paused?