Author Topic: !!! Stupid Questions Thread !!!  (Read 253360 times)

Offline Jon Snow

• View Profile
Just tried to buy some TRADE.BTC on internal exchange by clicking first available offer. Instead of purchasing it at the price specified it did this instead and did not initiate the trade.

Why did this happen? Why didn't it just purchase the TRADE.BTC at the set price when I clicked it?

So I guess I just lost 30 BTS trying to do a trade for 30 BTS that did not complete.  :-\

If you click the 30 BTS offer, this is what the client enters instead

Also did the Lifetime and Annual Fees just double over the last few days? It now says 20,000 BTS for Lifetime and 4,000 for Annual, when just the other day those were 1/2 that I believe. What gives? It's a little disheartening to go around trying to get people to sign up with BTS and then when they do the price is twice what they were told!  :-\

It just gets better now it's 40 BTS to transfer any amount! Things change too rapidly without notice in the client. Tomorrow it may be 80 BTS to transfer but I'll never find out unless I go to transfer and notice or I sift through 1,000 forum post a day to find that speshul thread that lets me know.  Rage sell emotions mounting.  :-\

later that day : Oh my god "80 BTS tomorrow" wasn't a stretch either! 10 minutes later I'm asked to pay 42.xxxx BTS to transfer the same amount I was going to 10 minutes ago at 40 BTS.  I better hurry and cash out or all of my coins will be eaten up by fees if I wait any longer. Seriously wtf!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 07:35:50 pm by Jon Snow »

jakub

I've been reading our documentation but couldn't find an answer to this question:
When I issue a UIA as shares in my company, is there a way to enable the shareholders to vote on the company's issues using the UIA?

Is this something that Follow My Vote team is working on?

That's an interesting approach.
I'll try to get it answered in the next mumble hang-out:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,16318.msg248128.html#msg248128

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
brownies or BTS?

When it is hard to decide, I ask  stupid questions.

PS
@ liondani

brownies?  :)

...but for what?   :o

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha
I've been reading our documentation but couldn't find an answer to this question:
When I issue a UIA as shares in my company, is there a way to enable the shareholders to vote on the company's issues using the UIA?

Is this something that Follow My Vote team is working on?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
How do we transfer accounts to others or is it possible at this time?

Who's stepping up to be an account escrow?
Since you can change the owner key to anything else you can hand over pub keys and have the other party put in the pubkey into the owner field .. if you are willing to play around with the CLI wallet you can even use the threshold signature scheme
http://docs.bitshares.eu/user/Account-Permissions.html

Otherwise I would be happy to help out as an escrow ..

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
brownies or BTS?

When it is hard to decide, I ask  stupid questions.

PS
@ liondani
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

Since you can change your debt and collateral at will, how do you keep track of your short being a profit/loss if you forget your initial margin trade price?

Good question!

Can you add a % profit/loss indicator next to our  debt ?
profit: green % output
loss: red % output

Offline Pheonike

Since you can change your debt and collateral at will, how do you keep track of your short being a profit/loss if you forget your initial margin trade price?

Tuck Fheman

How do we transfer accounts to others or is it possible at this time?

Who's stepping up to be an account escrow?

Offline Nattylitecoin

• View Profile
it's not easy, yet it's not too hard either.. somethings in life do require a little effort, even if that means just using your own brain

Isn't this the stupid questions thread? Jeez, if THERE'S ZERO DOCUMENTATION in the tar.gz it's kind of tough for a new comer to play around with the client.

jakub

Have we had a forum thread exploring this concept?
not that I know of
Looks like the devs are aware of the potential but haven't had time to think about it yet.
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,16554.msg211750.html#msg211750

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
not that I know of

jakub

I don't think that is currently possible directly .. but several options exist to cast an opinion e.g. with whitelists ..

On a second thought, it seems perfectly doable as every UIA holder is able to state & prove their UIA balance.
So it's just a matter of automating the process of balance proofing and voting outside the blockchain but it should be feasible. And in a similar way dividend payments could be automated.
Looks like it is a whole new business area to be created: building BTS-based systems that take advantage of UIA and manage the ownership of shares in a company with dividends and shareholders voting included.

Offline well.attenuated

The wallet is NOT stored on the server, you cannot be compromised when the server gets hacked. You should delete the keys in the browser local storage though, when you do not intend to use this web wallet again.

EDIT: Only when the server publishes malicious code, and you continue to use this web wallet, you're in danger.

that's my point ... if the hosted server get compromised then we are in danger... As I understand  it only if we login after the compromise.... (if we don't login anymore after the compromise we are safe)
Theoretical could the owners of openledger.info collect all private keys right now and use them in future when our market cap is big enough?(assuming it is "compromise" from the beginning? :-X) Using openledger and their hosted wallet means we 100% trust the openledger owners? Right?

I don;t think that's how the security concern works.  All keys are stored locally on your computer and never get relayed over the network connection. 
When you visit the host site, it tells your computer to run this small program: https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-2-ui/releases
The security concern is if the hosting site were to change the JavaScript code it feeds you when you visit the site to a different script, you would then run that program instead of the web-wallet you thought you were going to; that could then be some malicious key grabber but you could always just read the code every-time you access the site.
 if you download the program (web-wallet) directly, you just just run it from your computer and there is no longer a concern as you no longer run a script of the web-server.  There is little advantage to this over the standard light wallet though IMO.
The other connection involved the the web socket that supplies the blockchain state - you could store this locally as well by running a witness, although this should not have any access to any part of your accounts/keys and simply relays the blockchain from a remote witness node.
There is no way for the wallet host to be "collecting keys" unless it is currently written in the JavaScript (which I admittedly have not read).

Disclaimer:  I don't necessarily know what I am talking about but this is how I understand it to work.

Edit: sorry, I missed "compromised from the beginning" so yeah you have the right idea but you dont have to trust them 100%, you can just read the code they are feeding you
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 02:29:44 pm by well.attenuated »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I don't think that is currently possible directly .. but several options exist to cast an opinion e.g. with whitelists ..