Author Topic: !!! Stupid Questions Thread !!!  (Read 154295 times)

Offline Ray

• View Profile
Re: !!! Stupid Questions Thread !!!
« Reply #765 on: December 17, 2015, 04:32:04 pm »
Which file do I upload to the web wallet where it says "Import Backup"? I have four JSON files in my folder. The folder is dated 12/10/2015 but the JSON files are dated 4/9/2015 (two files) and 4/24/2015 (two files).

I had the original Bitshares wallet and upgraded to the 2.0. After the upgrade I bought some Bitshares and had trouble with the wallet. It was independent of the web wallet. I re-installed the download of the 2.0 and now it just shows up as the web wallet. It is different from the first upload I had.

What's up?

Thanks.

I think the desktop client is just the web wallet running with an invisible browser in the background. Same thing, right?

I would fire up 0.9.3c first. Then  make a backup of the the wallet from the menu, saving it on your desktop or something.

Then, through 0.9.3c there's a command you have to run (from the console if linux) that converts your old JSON (the one you just saved) into something Graphene (2.0) can understand. That command is wallet_export_keys I think. More info at this link: http://docs.bitshares.eu/migration/

This creates another new JSON that the new clients can look at and import. Once that's done you'll want to backup your newly imported wallet though 2.0, this time it will save as a .bin file. Then you're good.

I had the old version of .0.9 etc...  but never made any purchases under that version. I upgraded to the new 2.0 and traded peercoin for bitshares. So I don't see the need for uploading from the old .0.9 version.

Is this correct?

and yes, I now recognize that the 2.0 is a browser based and there is no independent wallet like other coins. I am learning this and like what I see in Bitshares. I just want to get back to seeing my bitshares in my wallet.

I had problems with java recently but got that fixed. Perhaps it was the problem all along. I will try to insert the files I cut and pasted to my flash drive, from the first installation of 2.0 and see if it works now with the repaired java.

I will wait for your reply about this. Do you still see a need to install the old .0.9 version?

Thank you.

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
« Reply #766 on: December 17, 2015, 04:52:32 pm »

I will wait for your reply about this. Do you still see a need to install the old .0.9 version?

The web wallet / light wallet can only import files created by 0.9.3c. Those from earlier versions do not work.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline Ray

• View Profile
« Reply #767 on: December 17, 2015, 10:14:02 pm »
I am back in my old account and found my bitshares.

Wow... had me scared I lost them for a while...

Did have a question about the key...  which I have a copy of ...  but will work with it as is for a while.

I can get in and see my bitshares... which is great news!!

Whooo Hoooo !

Thanks for the help everyone...   btw... I did install the 0.9.3c to get it done... 

Thanks again!

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
« Reply #768 on: December 17, 2015, 10:20:38 pm »
Make a full wallet backup right away and store it somewhere safe TOGETHER with the passphrase ..
Give BitShares a try! Use the http://testnet.bitshares.eu provided by http://bitshares.eu powered by ChainSquad GmbH

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
« Reply #769 on: December 18, 2015, 12:56:41 pm »
Hi there,

I have been trying to get 0.9.3c up and running (using windows).
Been trying for over a day now and have the following error: "Severe network problems | Not connected"

Any suggestions? thanks.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
« Reply #770 on: December 18, 2015, 01:14:54 pm »
Hi there,

I have been trying to get 0.9.3c up and running (using windows).
Been trying for over a day now and have the following error: "Severe network problems | Not connected"

Any suggestions? thanks.
That error will NOT disappear simply because the network has been taken down :)
If you see your funds, you are good to go and can make a proper backup as discribed in the migration guide.
Do you see all your funds?
Give BitShares a try! Use the http://testnet.bitshares.eu provided by http://bitshares.eu powered by ChainSquad GmbH

jakub

« Reply #771 on: December 19, 2015, 07:56:11 am »
I have a couple of questions regarding transfer fees for UIAs (and private MPAs):

(1) A newly created UIA has 2.5k BTS in its fee pool. I know I can easily add funds to the fee pool but who funded the initial 2.5k BTS?

(2) Is it true that 100% of the transfer fees on UIAs (and private MPAs) belong the issuer? (as they show as Unclaimed Issuer Income in the GUI)

(3) If (2) is true, does it mean that:
(a) the BitShares network alows to transfer UIAs (and private MPAs) back and forth between BitShares accounts without getting any revenue for this service?
(b) transfer fees for UIAs (and private MPAs) are exempt from the referral program?
(c) the issuer of UIA (and private MPA) can set the transfer fee on their asset to any arbitrary level (or even zero) by adjusting the Core Exchange Rate?

(4) What is the meaning of "Price per KByte Transaction Size" listed in /explorer/fees?

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
« Reply #772 on: December 19, 2015, 01:22:13 pm »
I have a couple of questions regarding transfer fees for UIAs (and private MPAs):

(1) A newly created UIA has 2.5k BTS in its fee pool. I know I can easily add funds to the fee pool but who funded the initial 2.5k BTS?
Half of the creation fee.

(2) Is it true that 100% of the transfer fees on UIAs (and private MPAs) belong the issuer? (as they show as Unclaimed Issuer Income in the GUI)
No when fees are paid in UIA, some BTS (amount is defined by the fee schedule) are deducted from fee pool and paid to the network/referral program, and UIA paid to the issuer. Except the % market fee (by now) which goes to the issuer directly.
(3) If (2) is true, does it mean that:
(a) the BitShares network alows to transfer UIAs (and private MPAs) back and forth between BitShares accounts without getting any revenue for this service?
(b) transfer fees for UIAs (and private MPAs) are exempt from the referral program?
(c) the issuer of UIA (and private MPA) can set the transfer fee on their asset to any arbitrary level (or even zero) by adjusting the Core Exchange Rate?

(4) What is the meaning of "Price per KByte Transaction Size" listed in /explorer/fees?
BTS account: abit
BTS committee member: abit
BTS witness: in.abit

jakub

« Reply #773 on: December 19, 2015, 01:41:12 pm »
No when fees are paid in UIA, some BTS (amount is defined by the fee schedule) are deducted from fee pool and paid to the network/referral program, and UIA paid to the issuer.
OK, that makes sense.

This is actually what I originally thought but the unfinished GUI support caused my confusion - the fee pool amounts shown on an asset's details page are presented in a raw format.
This should be fixed ASAP, I've posted this on github:
https://github.com/cryptonomex/graphene-ui/issues/618

jakub

« Reply #774 on: December 19, 2015, 01:49:08 pm »
So just this little item remains a mystery for me:
"Price per KByte Transaction Size" - when does it apply?

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
« Reply #775 on: December 19, 2015, 02:00:21 pm »
So just this little item remains a mystery for me:
"Price per KByte Transaction Size" - when does it apply?
http://cryptofresh.com/fees

For example if you transfer or issue some assets with memo it will apply. Imho it's rather annoying, since most transfers are with memos, as a result fees are always different and fractional. We'd better set a "free" memo size which charges no extra per KBytes fee.

Offline Ray

• View Profile
« Reply #776 on: December 19, 2015, 02:39:24 pm »
Make a full wallet backup right away and store it somewhere safe TOGETHER with the passphrase ..

First, I had a the older wallet and got the password and passphrase down on paper. Does the passphrase change when upgraded to 2.0? Or is there another passphrase generated?

Thanks

jakub

« Reply #777 on: December 19, 2015, 02:43:09 pm »

First, I had a the older wallet and got the password and passphrase down on paper. Does the passphrase change when upgraded to 2.0? Or is there another passphrase generated?

Thanks
The passphrase does not change. It's the same.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
« Reply #778 on: December 19, 2015, 05:37:40 pm »

Thanks
I do use different passphrases for 0.9 and 2.0.

jakub

« Reply #779 on: December 19, 2015, 06:09:22 pm »

Thanks
I do use different passphrases for 0.9 and 2.0.
I'll be more specific:
To create a new wallet under 2.0 you can use any passphrase you like. But during the process of importing 0.9 funds into 2.0 you'll need to use the 0.9 passphrase.
So the whole process goes like this:
(1) First you create a new wallet in 2.0 and create any passphrase you like.
(2) Then you do the import of 0.9 funds and for that you'll need to use the 0.9 passphrase.
(3) After a successful import the 0.9 passphrase is not needed any more. From now on, the only passphrase needed is the one you created in (1)