Author Topic: !!! Stupid Questions Thread !!!  (Read 251390 times)

Offline Overthetop

What is the meaning of Margin Orders in wallet market?

When and how they show up and  disapper?

thanks.

个人微博账号: Overthetop_万里晴空
“块链创新与创业”交流群: 330378613

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
- I am always mixing up "ask" and "short" .. is there an easy way to remember what is what? Especially if you consider that the market USD/BTSX can be flipped to BTSX/USD??

It's originally called ask because you are asking for money. So you want to sell something (that normally would not be money).

When you trade money for money it just becomes confusing :)
That now makes sense :)

Offline Markus

• View Profile
OK, I've got a stupid question too:

Does anybody else think that BitShares sounds like a well known word for "female dogs"?

Offline Markus

• View Profile
- I am always mixing up "ask" and "short" .. is there an easy way to remember what is what? Especially if you consider that the market USD/BTSX can be flipped to BTSX/USD??

It's originally called ask because you are asking for money. So you want to sell something (that normally would not be money).

When you trade money for money it just becomes confusing :)

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

ask - you 'ask'   certain price for what you already have.
short - you again sell; but you do not actually have what you are selling - I am 'short' on water.
bid - I bid on an item on ebay. I am coming with the money to 'buy' something from the seller.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Markus

• View Profile
I'll go first:

How do you interpret this? I know it's depicting market depth, but how exactly...

Where it's flat there are no orders at that price - price could move very quickly across that range.

Where its vertical there are single big orders in the market - price will have difficulties crossing that threshold. That's what you call a "wall".

The total height tells you how many orders there are up to a certain price. For example if somebody suddenly sold 50 000 with no price limit, the price would drop to 19. It somebody bought 50 000 it would rise to about 33.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
What is NPT?
If you are refereing to NTP .. that the "network time protocol" and is used to synchronized clocks over the internet ..

Yes, that. And how do you install/run a 'protocol' or you actually run some server/app?
you run a "daemon" which is a service that runs in the background ... there are different implementations .. such asn 'ntpd' (d for deamon) .. or 'openntpd' ..
they all do the same thing .. some have fancy features .. some are easier to configure/run .. others use less memory .. what ever you prefer

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
What is NPT?
If you are refereing to NTP .. that the "network time protocol" and is used to synchronized clocks over the internet ..

Yes, that. And how do you install/run a 'protocol' or you actually run some server/app?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
What is NPT?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Ask = Sell
Bid = Buy
If I want to have USD I actually appear at the ASK side ... which contradicts your proposal .. doesn't it?

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Offline Chuckone

• View Profile
I read a lot in here about the market peg for bit asset...

I know what the concept means, but except for pre-defined market consensus, I don't see how it can peg to the USD value. Is market consensus a sufficient force to keep the peg?

My understanding of shorting is selling something you don't have (and borrow) for a fixed price in the future, betting the price will drop so you'll be able to buy it cheaper later and make a profit. (Am I right?) But how does shorting could get the value of bitusd to drop compared to usd and affect the peg?

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx

Ask = Sell
Bid = Buy

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH