Author Topic: !!! Stupid Questions Thread !!!  (Read 253245 times)

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
we can figure out the total BitAssets shorted in the market at present through calculating the Margin Orders info.

Am I right?

The total shorted is equal to the total bitAsset supply - so this info is more readily available. From those margin orders you can see those that (if the price moves in that direction) will be executed first, at what price and how much/how big those orders are.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline bytemaster

The margin orders only shows the top 100...

You can go in your wallet to: Directory / Assets / USD and see the current share supply: 485,250.3572 USD
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Overthetop

What is the meaning of Margin Orders in wallet market?

When and how they show up and  disapper?

thanks.
They shop up when your short order was matched by s.o. buying

It will disappear when you cover your 'short' by buying back the asset (ie, USD) and give it back to 'the back' .. then you will also get back your collateral (stated in the margin order, too)

In other markets the margin order are placed when you get a margin call. You get Margin Call when your collateral falls below the margin required.

I do not know why in BTSX margin orders appear right away (I guess it has something to do with the fact that  BTSX is on a blockchain).
Margin orders  will disappear in 2 cases:
1.If you close your short position.
1.If you collateral indeed falls below the required and that Margin order is actually executed.

The margin order is not an "actual order" it just makes it clear to everyone involved at what point it will "become an order"

As the explanation from Xeroc ,Tonyk and Bytemaster , we can figure out the total BitAssets shorted in the market at present through calculating the Margin Orders info.

Am I right?

个人微博账号: Overthetop_万里晴空
“块链创新与创业”交流群: 330378613

Offline bytemaster

The margin order is not an "actual order" it just makes it clear to everyone involved at what point it will "become an order"

That is an argument for another time, but I would prefer if not everybody was aware where those shorts will get the margin call.

Sunlight... if information is available for those who know how to find it and gives them an "advantage" then it could harm the market.  If *EVERYONE* knows then more market participants can price in short squeeze risk and the result is that the squeeze will be less likely. 
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

38PTSWarrior

OK, I've got a stupid question too:

Does anybody else think that BitShares sounds like a well known word for "female dogs"?

LOL
not before I read this post

BitShares - Make the market yours.

lol, yes some people thought that, when I told them about it. You just have to speak slowly and pronounce the t, make a break, and then shares.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

That is an argument for another time, but I would prefer if not everybody was aware where those shorts will get the margin call.

Offline Riverhead

:o  That makes all kinds of sense. So it's an informational book only.

Offline bytemaster

thanks.

In other markets the margin order are placed when you get a margin call. You get Margin Call when your collateral falls below the margin required.

I do not know why in BTSX margin orders appear right away (I guess it has something to do with the fact that  BTSX is on a blockchain).
1.If you collateral indeed falls below the required and that Margin order is actually executed.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

thanks.

Offline Riverhead

Does anybody else think that BitShares sounds like a well known word for "female dogs"?

LOL

BitShares - Make the market yours.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

LOL

Offline bytemaster

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Also, thank you Markus for the depth chart explanation! I always wondered if it was cumulative. Now I know:).
in math terms: non monotonic increasing functions starting at (or close to) the current price

Offline Riverhead

I found this enlightening. Simplistic but it certainly gets the concept across: http://bclund.com/2011/08/08/how-to-explain-short-selling-to-a-non-trader-like-your-mother/

Also, thank you Markus for the depth chart explanation! I always wondered if it was cumulative. Now I know:).

Great thread, MeTHoDx.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

thanks.
They shop up when your short order was matched by s.o. buying

It will disappear when you cover your 'short' by buying back the asset (ie, USD) and give it back to 'the back' .. then you will also get back your collateral (stated in the margin order, too)