Author Topic: !!! Stupid Questions Thread !!!  (Read 253019 times)

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
haha..Why have you changed it to dag peg doe? I must have missed something here...Anyway for whatever reason you changed it consider changing back to Tonyk since we all know you as Tonyk and all like Tonyk in reality... You are valuable as Tonyk and if people complain let them complain..

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
P.S1: @ dat peg doe. What was your previous user name so I know who am talking to?

Do we even have any woman member in here? We need them for the long success of BitsharesX...
'dat peg doe' aka 'tonyk'

I know of one woman for sure.

And I agree on the more women needed, Zeus.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 11:53:41 pm by dat peg doe »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
On Gui I have approved some delegates. Questions...Be prepared they are stupid:

1. Do these delegates see that I vote for them, or my vote is anonymous?
anonymous
2. When I make a transfer I have some options about delegates (vote for all, recommended by delegates, random). What each one of them mean? I thought that by voting for some delegates it's like approving these delegates so please explain...
Listen to the last but one delegate hangout. BM explains it himself
50:51 https://soundcloud.com/beyond-bitcoin-hangouts/bitshares-community-and-developer-hangout-9-12-2014
3. I recently make a transaction and the other party knew that I am paying 0.5 BTSX fee. How does he know that?
I have to think about that..
4. I have a triangle that says that some of my stake is not used for voting. I moved all my balances to myself (updated vote) but I still get that message. Why? What am I supposed to do with that?
Bug... just a guess
5. I placed an order at bid price, left it for 10 minutes and the order wasn't completed. Is this still a known bug?
Bug, fixed in next release
6. I put short orders below the price feed, even at bid price and none of them has been actioned. BM advised that this was a known bug that was resolved in the new release but it appears it hasn't yet? Or am I missing something obvious? Is this normal that I see on my GUI short orders at 28 not actioned yet when the bid price is 28.4?
should be fixed in v. 0.4.18
7. When I open and short order @ 30  do I understand correctly that until it goes to 45 (150%) my collateral is secured and no margin call will take place?
Yes
ooouuuffff.....I think that's all for now.

Thank you very much in advance for your kind and simple explanations...
Actually the precise answer to 7 is: Yes, currently. Changes coming, stay informed.

Thank you very much for all the replies. Much appreciated!! But why changes are coming regarding to no7? How am I supposed to know if I want to short and I suddenly get a margin call which I haven't correctly estimated due to changes? Are these changes will be announced in advance? Will we have the chance to cancel our short positions prior to changes?

@Xeroc thank you very much as well. The reference in the wiki was helpful to understand the different options regarding voting.

P.S1: @ dat peg doe. What was your previous user name so I know who am talking to?

P.S2:
I just wonder if you are 'cobaltskky' herself. It will be great honor if true. She is a brave woman. If not please do not be offended by this speculation. I hold this person ( 'cobaltskky' ) in high regard.

I like cobaltskky as well. She must be a really nice person, very passionate, and she has actually "saved" the day in NXT community with the BTER hacking in a very funny way. I wish she becomes part of this community.
I think in the long term bitcoin will be overtaken by the community who has the most women on board. Do we even have any woman member in here? We need them for the long success of BitsharesX...

Offline Mysto

• View Profile
I believe the artists will  issue 'artistcoins'
I'm still confused as to how the person who owns PTS will profit?

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
I believe the artists will  issue 'artistcoins'

Offline Mysto

• View Profile
I was doing some research on the bitshares music and don't understand something. After the snapshot you will get notes. But I thought notes were issued by artists? I know I'm misunderstanding something.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

anonymous
2. When I make a transfer I have some options about delegates (vote for all, recommended by delegates, random). What each one of them mean? I thought that by voting for some delegates it's like approving these delegates so please explain...
50:51 https://soundcloud.com/beyond-bitcoin-hangouts/bitshares-community-and-developer-hangout-9-12-2014
3. I recently make a transaction and the other party knew that I am paying 0.5 BTSX fee. How does he know that?
4. I have a triangle that says that some of my stake is not used for voting. I moved all my balances to myself (updated vote) but I still get that message. Why? What am I supposed to do with that?
Bug... just a guess
5. I placed an order at bid price, left it for 10 minutes and the order wasn't completed. Is this still a known bug?
6. I put short orders below the price feed, even at bid price and none of them has been actioned. BM advised that this was a known bug that was resolved in the new release but it appears it hasn't yet? Or am I missing something obvious? Is this normal that I see on my GUI short orders at 28 not actioned yet when the bid price is 28.4?
7. When I open and short order @ 30  do I understand correctly that until it goes to 45 (150%) my collateral is secured and no margin call will take place?
Yes

Actually the precise answer to 7 is: Yes, currently. Changes coming, stay informed.

http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/ApprovalVoting

the transaction fee is a part of the transaction .. and can thus be read from the blockchain ..

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

I just wonder if you Najska, are 'cobaltskky' herself. It will be great honor if true. She is a brave woman. If not please do not be offended by this speculation. I hold this person ( 'cobaltskky' ) in high regard.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:04:59 pm by dat peg doe »

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
First welcome aboard!
Second toast was right. It is worth it then.

For the main question read this:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=9382.msg121743#msg121743

* if you do not know what I am talking about in 2nd - the answer is in the same thread, several post later than the post linked above.

!!!General Warning. Be advised ! Spending time on this forum is extremely dangerous! Many non-believers have converted. And worst of all - the chance of conversion is correlated with the time spent here, not with the strength of the prior convictions.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 08:16:08 pm by dat peg doe »

Offline Najska

• View Profile
Hi all,

My stupid question is about the alleged "market peg" idea. Here's what Bitshares Wiki article says: "It says so, right there in the name. Once people accept that, it self-perpetuates. It's announced at the beginning, '1 BitUSD = 1 USD' and everybody buys into the market based on that assumption, and all market participants have the incentive to keep it that way. . . . BitUSD is pegged to the USD because it says it is."

Source: http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/Market_Peg

So, basically, what regulates the value of BitUSD is the belief of the market participants and nothing else. Then, assume a bitAsset called BitMultiply, whose value doubles each day. So, if it's worth $1 today, it will be worth $2 tomorrow, and about $1K after 10 days. Not a bad way to make profit, isn't it? I am sure everybody will readily agree that such a bitAsset cannot succeed. My question is: Why? My second question is: How is this idea different than the idea of creating an asset whose value is and will always be exactly $1, namely, BitUSD?

My point is that a system like Bitshares cannot just rely on the belief of market participants. Even if all market participants buy BitMultiply with the belief that its value will multiply in time, the idea is just not feasible. So, the issuer of the bitAsset called BitUSD is likewise responsible to give an account of the feasibility of such an idea, which they did not.

I believe that the idea behind Bitshares is but what is called a confidence trick, and people will sell their BitUSD at lower and lower prices when the time comes.

I know my language is a bit aggressive, but my only hope is to get educated.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

anonymous
Bug... just a guess
Yes

« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 07:19:33 pm by dat peg doe »

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
You can go to their profile page and on the left there is a show posts link.

yes but with only 3 posts I could not find a link to the profile.

[EDIT]
Stupid me...
Members > Search for members    :-[
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 06:46:09 pm by dat peg doe »

Offline Riverhead

You can go to their profile page and on the left there is a show posts link.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile