Author Topic: !!! Stupid Questions Thread !!!  (Read 251451 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
The settlement will always happen AT the feed .. and there is a time delay .. I think 24h or so .. until settlement request and actual settlement

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
No .. there is no need to close your short position .. ever. Unless you get
'called' by a settlement request.

How much premium gives a settlement request?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
How stable will Bitassets be in Bitshares 2.0? I heard that 1 BitUSD will always
be at least 1 USD but can be more expensive. Is that correct? If so, how much
will the volatility (rough range) be above 1 USD?
No-one knows yet .. I think in the beginning we will see up to 5% .. later, when
more gateways allow easy transfer of USD into the system and more people short
bitUSD, then the surplus may be 1% or less. But no-one can tell for sure.

An associated question: For Bitshares 1.0 bitassets there was the rule "1 bitusd
can be traded for 1 USD (minus exchange fees and market spread) at least within
30 days" because there was the 30 day maturity rule. Is there a similar
guarentee for Bitshares 2.0 Bitassets?
No .. there is no need to close your short position .. ever. Unless you get
'called' by a settlement request.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
At some point I stopped following the BitAsset design proposals and didn't read up on it until now. Maybe someone could answer these question:

How stable will Bitassets be in Bitshares 2.0? I heard that 1 BitUSD will always be at least 1 USD but can be more expensive. Is that correct? If so, how much will the volatility (rough range) be above 1 USD?

An associated question: For Bitshares 1.0 bitassets there was the rule "1 bitusd  can be traded for 1 USD (minus exchange fees and market spread) at least within 30 days" because there was the 30 day maturity rule. Is there a similar guarentee for Bitshares 2.0 Bitassets?

Offline OMALLEY

• View Profile
Can the BitShares 2.0 launch be put off or brought forward by a day, 13 is not a lucky number!

Lucky or not depends on your cultural context.

Fortunately, in blockchain technology we do not rely on cultural contexts but on mathematics. In mathematics, 13 is a number like any other. (Although it has the nice property of being prime. People like me really like prime numbers, but that's just my cultural context.).

Yes I have to agree with you on Prime's being nice numbers, those and multipals.  LCM's seem like Maths magic

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
What is the "precision" parameter on bitsharesblocks (user issued assets > asset info) about?

How many "satoshis" of the asset make up one unit. For example, BTS has precision 10^5 and BTC has precision 10^8.
Ok thanks!

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
What is the "precision" parameter on bitsharesblocks (user issued assets > asset info) about?

How many "satoshis" of the asset make up one unit. For example, BTS has precision 10^5 and BTC has precision 10^8.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
What's the difference between a witness and a committee member in 2.0?
Witbesses produce blocks .. committee members propose changes of parameters like blockintervall and fees

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
What's the difference between a witness and a committee member in 2.0?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Can the BitShares 2.0 launch be put off or brought forward by a day, 13 is not a lucky number!

Fortunately, in blockchain technology we do not rely on cultural contexts but on mathematics. In mathematics, 13 is a number like any other. (Although it has the nice property of being prime. People like me really like prime numbers, but that's just my cultural context.).

It even goes further, the only constant thing about time is that the duration of a day and a year .. we call it 24h and 365 days which is already an arbitrary notation :P

Offline pc

• View Profile

Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline pc

• View Profile
How can I check the balance of BTS associated with a given account name (eg. a name I registered in the genesis block way back in the day)??
You can't check the balance of an account name (or address, or public key) without importing the private key into the client and scanning the blockchain.

Oh, interesting. So, I've asked somebody to send funds to my [ACCOUNTNAME] and the only way I can check to see if that transaction happened is by logging into the computer that has my private key associated with that account?

I ask because I have it in WARM storage and really only bring it online when I absolutely have to.

Thanks.

Yes. This is going to change with BitShares 2.0 on Oct 13th, though.

Offline OMALLEY

• View Profile

Offline hammyburger

• View Profile
How can I check the balance of BTS associated with a given account name (eg. a name I registered in the genesis block way back in the day)??
You can't check the balance of an account name (or address, or public key) without importing the private key into the client and scanning the blockchain.

Oh, interesting. So, I've asked somebody to send funds to my [ACCOUNTNAME] and the only way I can check to see if that transaction happened is by logging into the computer that has my private key associated with that account?

I ask because I have it in WARM storage and really only bring it online when I absolutely have to.

Thanks.