Author Topic: !!! Stupid Questions Thread !!!  (Read 253431 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
BitShares 2.0 will make it alot easier to secure your funds .. you can use hierarchical corporate accounts then (tutorial will follow ASAP)

chryspano

I'm looking for a dedicated device to just hold my bts wallet on. I don't want to risk getting hacked. It's a substantial amount of bts as I have accumulated since 2013. Does anyone have a recommendations?

I was even thinking of buying a separate laptop just for this purpose. Is that overkill?

Feel kind of dumb asking but it's a genuine concern that I have regarding this uninsured crypto world.

I don't think it's an overkill, but on the other hand I don't think it could be wise to spent $600 in order to secure $2000, in this scenario you could probably use a dual boot system and be ok. Also I don't think it could be a bad idea to keep a small fraction of your funds in the dual boot system even if you have the laptop. I'm also curious about what other people think..

Offline godzirra

• View Profile
I'm looking for a dedicated device to just hold my bts wallet on. I don't want to risk getting hacked. It's a substantial amount of bts as I have accumulated since 2013. Does anyone have a recommendations?

I was even thinking of buying a separate laptop just for this purpose. Is that overkill?

Feel kind of dumb asking but it's a genuine concern that I have regarding this uninsured crypto world.

jakub

I've just joined the BitShares community and have got a bunch of BTS in my wallet.
How do I vote for a delegate?

Welcome to the community, MarketingMonk.

There will be a major infrastructure upgrade for BitShares on Oct 13th and everything regarding voting will be changed & significantly improved.
So it's better to skip voting for now and wait till the upgrade - it's less than a week away.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 09:36:40 pm by jakub »

Offline MarketingMonk

• Leading People to Freedom
    • View Profile
    • Cryptoversity - The online school for Bitcoin, cryptocurrencies and blockchains.
  • BitShares: marketing.monk
I've just joined the BitShares community and have got a bunch of BTS in my wallet.
How do I vote for a delegate?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Have any of the price feed script authors bothered to get permission from whoever they're getting the exchange rate info from?
Afaik yahoo is ok to pull their prices but some more serious research would be a good idea ..
we had this discussion already but we should reevaluate it ..

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
Have any of the price feed script authors bothered to get permission from whoever they're getting the exchange rate info from?
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
So if I transfer my funds from my publicly known account to another of my accounts which is NOT publicly known and do it before Oct 13th - will it protect my privacy after Oct 13th?
It all breaks down to "how you import your funds" .. but that would be the most convenient way to do .. yes

jakub

In BTS 2.0, what will prevent me from seeing other people's balances, open orders and transactions? 
In the current GUI it looks like there is no privacy protection.

there is none. however, you can set your account to private (guess that's not in the GUI yet) - but you will pay additional fees and won't be able to vote. read up on bitshares.org blog there's privacy article if I remember correctly

That's a bit of a surprise for me.
So it means that after Oct 13th all community members' balances will be publicly known, doesn't it?
(assuming most of us have BTS account names already publicly known and most of us will want to vote)
http://docs.bitshares.eu/migration/what-changed.html

So if I transfer my funds from my publicly known account to another of my accounts which is NOT publicly known and do it before Oct 13th - will it protect my privacy after Oct 13th?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
In BTS 2.0, what will prevent me from seeing other people's balances, open orders and transactions? 

there is none. however, you can set your account to private (guess that's not in the GUI yet) - but you will pay additional fees and won't be able to vote. read up on bitshares.org blog there's privacy article if I remember correctly

So it means that after Oct 13th all community members' balances will be publicly known, doesn't it?
(assuming most of us have BTS account names already publicly known and most of us will want to vote)
http://docs.bitshares.eu/migration/what-changed.html

jakub

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav

jakub

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
How stable will Bitassets be in Bitshares 2.0? I heard that 1 BitUSD will always
be at least 1 USD but can be more expensive. Is that correct? If so, how much
will the volatility (rough range) be above 1 USD?
No-one knows yet .. I think in the beginning we will see up to 5% .. later, when
more gateways allow easy transfer of USD into the system and more people short
bitUSD, then the surplus may be 1% or less. But no-one can tell for sure.
Will the premium be relatively stable or will it swing wildly? 

I would say it depends on the volatility of BTS .. in times BTS is not volatile, the premium may be quite constant

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
How stable will Bitassets be in Bitshares 2.0? I heard that 1 BitUSD will always
be at least 1 USD but can be more expensive. Is that correct? If so, how much
will the volatility (rough range) be above 1 USD?
No-one knows yet .. I think in the beginning we will see up to 5% .. later, when
more gateways allow easy transfer of USD into the system and more people short
bitUSD, then the surplus may be 1% or less. But no-one can tell for sure.
Will the premium be relatively stable or will it swing wildly?