Author Topic: !!! Stupid Questions Thread !!!  (Read 251352 times)

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
I think if you ask more specific questions you're more likely to get answers.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline Watercolorist

• View Profile
OK, so I didn't get any answers to my last post, I'll rephrase my stupid question and see if that gets answers.  LOL

I have BitShares 2.0 on my desktop, and purchased 40+k of BitShares.  I want to do more with it than just hold it.  I'd like to learn how to do more with it, but I don't understand how to use BitShares 2.0, nor do I understand most of the terms or how to trade.  Yes, I probably seem like a complete idiot to experienced traders, but everyone has to start somewhere, and I don't even know where to or how to start.

Lest you think I'm just lazy or haven't been trying to get answers, I've been all over it!  There just does not seem to be basic information for newbies - anywhere.  Or maybe I just haven't come across it yet.  Whatever the case, if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'll go do the work.

I have read through whatever I can find, but everything seems to assume that the reader already knows stuff.  I do not know and the learning curve is very steep, so I need to start right at the beginning, and learn everything step by step.  Can anyone offer any help?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Watercolorist

• View Profile
My "stupid question" number two:  Now that I have 40K BTS on my BitShares 2.0, what do I do with them?

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
When can we expect Moonstone? Last time I talked with the team around October if I'm not mistaken, I was told 2 months. Any news other than the beyond bitcoin show Taulant gave?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Watercolorist

• View Profile
Thanks so much.  Very helpful.  :)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline Watercolorist

• View Profile
Is there a newbie tutorial or information page or a video for how to use the BitShares 2.0 wallet?

I just started with BitShares but cannot find a guide for how to use the wallet.  I've searched here, on YouTube, googled, and the Help link in the wallet, but so far I've come up empty.

As a nOOb, there's so much I don't understand and I'm trying to get up to speed, but I need most just simple information on how to use the BitShares 2.0 wallet.

Thanks in advance.

jakub

As a result, removing individual keys is going to be even more difficult to realize :(

There is always this work-around available: you can create a new wallet.json file and import all keys from the previous wallet except the ones you wanted to remove.
Thanks, xeroc, for your help.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
It seems I was wrong ..
The cli-wallet obviously packs them all together into a single value in the file ..
that then means that you cannot simply remove private keys from the file ..

Not sure what the motivation behind this is/was and I have no idea how to interpret the cipher_keys but I guess it's another json object serialized and encrypted with your password .. but I can't say for sure.

As a result, removing individual keys is going to be even more difficult to realize :(

jakub

the wallet for the cli-wallet is just a json file. You can open it up and actually "read" what it contains .. the parameters are mostly self-explaining.

This is a fragment of the my wallet.json file in testnet:

Code: [Select]
"chain_id": "39f5e2ede1f8bc1a3a54a7914414e3779e33193f1f5693510e73cb7a87617447",
  "my_accounts": [{
      "id": "1.2.41",
    },{
      "id": "1.2.51",
    }
  ],
  "cipher_keys": "f54eb8fcc7867c141f9fb6943dada2bbd...a6f755b277f048eabdb31db1b4a6",

The only entry that looks sensitive is the cipher_keys entry.
Are cipher_keys the place where all the private keys (i.e. the ones stored in this wallet) are kept?

If so, they are encoded with the wallet password, aren't they?
So if anybody gets hold of my cipher_keys but does not know the wallet password, I'm still safe, right?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
You can manually delete the other active key from the "wallet.json" file

Is it possible to remove a private key from the "wallet.json" file?
If so, how is it done?

What about this one ^ ?
Does anybody know?

my apologies, I though I answered that question already ..
Actually thinking it through, you cannot delete any of your keys from the wallet IF they have been generated through a brain key .. then you would need to delete the brain key to not be able to rederive the private keys ..

the wallet for the cli-wallet is just a json file. You can open it up and actually "read" what it contains .. the parameters are mostly self-explaining.

jakub

You can manually delete the other active key from the "wallet.json" file

Is it possible to remove a private key from the "wallet.json" file?
If so, how is it done?

What about this one ^ ?
Does anybody know?

Offline Thom

I proxy the wss using nginx and a self signed cert. I posted the details of that here on the forum somewhere. The OL wallet connects to my local node with an encrypted connection. The ability to change that connection appears to have been removed now.

I was surprised when that happened. It's not an unreasonable restriction however. I presume (I have yet to try it) the light wallet diverges from the OL wallet in this regard, at least I hope it does. Otherwise the wss connection url has to be hardcoded and that doesn't seem like a good idea for the light wallet.

Once the light wallet is customized and ready to be deployed for a specific organization (for example, OL), THEN the connection could be hardcoded to a clustered server URL address for that organization.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
if I wanted to have it encrypted, I would need to get an SSL certificate ..

Hint: https://gethttpsforfree.com/
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de