Author Topic: Not Connected 4.12  (Read 4967 times)

Offline bytemaster

the settings seem ok to me .. you have any personal firewall enabled? windows firewall? could you try with disabled firewall?

I had McAfee Firewall installed. I disabled it and it it didn't seem to make any difference. I either got 0 or 1 connections and no updates seemed to be taking place.

I usually shut my computer down at night, but last night I left it on all night with bitshares-x and nothing else running. When I got up this morning it said it had 5 connections and was updating albeit very slowly - there was a message that said last update occurred 61 days ago. I tried to use File/Quit to exit the software and the software stopped responding even after several minutes so I used Ctrl-Alt-Delete to stop it. I restarted the software and it has been running for several hours - it always has either 0 or 1 connection and does not appear to be updating at all.

How many connections should you expect to get? Does this basically depend on your connection speed?

I have 15 connections and they connect right away.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Black Arrow

• View Profile
the settings seem ok to me .. you have any personal firewall enabled? windows firewall? could you try with disabled firewall?

I had McAfee Firewall installed. I disabled it and it it didn't seem to make any difference. I either got 0 or 1 connections and no updates seemed to be taking place.

I usually shut my computer down at night, but last night I left it on all night with bitshares-x and nothing else running. When I got up this morning it said it had 5 connections and was updating albeit very slowly - there was a message that said last update occurred 61 days ago. I tried to use File/Quit to exit the software and the software stopped responding even after several minutes so I used Ctrl-Alt-Delete to stop it. I restarted the software and it has been running for several hours - it always has either 0 or 1 connection and does not appear to be updating at all.

How many connections should you expect to get? Does this basically depend on your connection speed?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline Black Arrow

• View Profile
I still basically cannot connect. I have been re-installing and then re-trying every time a new release of the bitshares-x software is released. I am now using the 64-bit version of 4.17, but I have also tried the 32-bit version for Windows.

Here is what get_info says:

>> get_info

{
  "blockchain_head_block_num": 0,
  "blockchain_head_block_age": null,
  "blockchain_head_block_timestamp": null,
  "blockchain_average_delegate_participation": "0.00 %",
  "blockchain_confirmation_requirement": 202,
  "blockchain_delegate_pay_rate": "0.00000 BTSX",
  "blockchain_share_supply": "1,999,999,999.81923 BTSX",
  "blockchain_blocks_left_in_round": 101,
  "blockchain_next_round_time": null,
  "blockchain_next_round_timestamp": null,
  "blockchain_random_seed": "0000000000000000000000000000000000000000",
  "client_data_dir": "C:/Users/Greg/AppData/Roaming/BITSHA~2",
  "client_version": "v0.4.17",
  "network_num_connections": 0,
  "network_num_connections_max": 200,
  "ntp_time": null,
  "ntp_time_error": null,
  "wallet_open": true,
  "wallet_unlocked": true,
  "wallet_unlocked_until": "12 days in the future",
  "wallet_unlocked_until_timestamp": "2014-10-09T17:43:35",
  "wallet_last_scanned_block_timestamp": null,
  "wallet_scan_progress": "0.00 %",
  "wallet_block_production_enabled": false,
  "wallet_next_block_production_time": null,
  "wallet_next_block_production_timestamp": null
}

I get the same result if I install the software on a different computer.

Once, after waiting 20 minutes I was able to get:  "network_num_connections": 1,
but a few minutes later it went back to:  "network_num_connections": 0,

I live in a rural area and I have a satellite internet connection which is slow by urban standards.  I am able to run most other things including a full node on the bitcoin network when I want to, so it seems like my connection would be fast enough, but I can't think of anything else. Would a somewhat slow internet connection cause this problem?

Offline Black Arrow

• View Profile

Code: [Select]
client_data_dir": "C:/Users/Greg/AppData/Roaming/BITSHA~2
Any particular reason you have 2 data directories?

Hmmm. I didn't know that's what that meant. Could it be looking at both my bitsharesX and my bitshares-PTS folders?

No, those are 2 BTSX folders (potentially one is BTS TX - if you have participated in any od the test (dry) runs, but it is not PTS folder, imho)

I don't know why it says I have two BTSX folders. If I look in my appdata\roaming folder there is only one bitshares-x folder. I reinstalled the software several times and on some of those installs I used a new password which I guess creates a new wallet, but even if I import my original wallet or do a complete re-install after deleting my appdata\roaming\bitsharesx folder, the next time I run get_info, it still says BITSHA~2. 

If I reinstall on another computer and do a get_info it does not have BITSHA~2.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Hmmm. I didn't know that's what that meant. Could it be looking at both my bitsharesX and my bitshares-PTS folders?

No, those are 2 BTSX folders (potentially one is BTS TX - if you have participated in any od the test (dry) runs, but it is not PTS folder, imho)
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Black Arrow

• View Profile

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
These are minor blips. Even though I can't connect at the moment, I just went out and bought more BTSX!

I agree the any BTSX bought under $10 a piece is a steal.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
These are minor blips. Even though I can't connect at the moment, I just went out and bought more BTSX!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 12:04:08 am by donkeypong »

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Offline Black Arrow

• View Profile
Thanks. I tried this and am still getting the "error occurred when trying to start message" even after uninstalling the 64-bit version and installing the 32-bit version instead.

When I uninstall, I delete the roaming\bitshares x folder and then go to programs/uninstall to uninstall bitshares-x. But I suspect this doesn't completely uninstall it, because when I re-install, it remembers that I want to run in xp compatibility mode.  Is there a way to completely flush bitshares x out of my system so I can do a completely fresh re-install?

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
This problem happened to me many times with different versions.  Here is how I resolved it:

1) Delete everything in the Roaming\Bitshares X folder EXCEPT the wallets folder
2) Launch bitsharex client
3) You will see the 'Not connected' but it will go away after a while. I think it is trying to find nodes and establish connections. So need to be patient. When the number of connections starts going up, btsx client will start downloading the blockchain.
4) Use the 'info' command at the Console  to monitor progress.

You may like to go safe if you are using Windows - try 32bit instead of 64bit btsx client.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 06:14:40 am by cube »
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I am getting this error also. Tried the whole uninstall and reinstall drill. Not working. 32 bit, Windows 8.1.

Offline Black Arrow

• View Profile
Thank you for the suggestion but I deleted config.json and when I tried to start the client again, I got a critical error box that said: "An error occurred while trying to start. Please try restarting the application."   When I try to restart, the same box pops up again.

Can you think of anything else to try?

Offline testz

I am using Windows 7. With earlier versions I was getting a message on the bottom line of the Bitshares-X window  that I was not connected.

I have uninstalled previous versions and deleted the Roaming\Bitshares X folder and reinstalled with the 4.12  32bit  version of the bitshares x wallet. 

However, I am still getting a "Not Connected" message, which remains there regardless of how long I wait.

Is there anything I can do to correct this, or at least to help diagnose what is causing the problem?

Strange but not new problem, close the client, go to "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\BitShares X" and delete file config.json, start the client again.