Author Topic: What about the basics?  (Read 2570 times)

Offline Thom

OK. I posted the other account key for another share to register galtman, as well as in the tip thread to thank you for your assistance.

Registration is at hand... at last!
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
rigtht .. but you need to register "galtman" first

Offline Thom

Here is the key for the galtman account: BTSX687zVYuV7eezSUTw12Xzdcypw6ojB2egfVaCLk8o98rBTXfEd7

Once I get a share in that I could register both accounts if I wanted to, right?
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline Thom

I didn't realize the dot signified a hierarchy. I will create another account. Might as well use galtman. Stand by for another share request...

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I just posted my account key in the thread xeroc mentioned, so I'll get registered soon.
Welcome to the gamechanger

I'm still puzzled though. I clicked the "Add Account" button and added the
account name I used before. It displayed the same robot head image so I know
it's the same. Good. But it is still not showing up under my accounts OR
unregistered tab. I haven't gone to the console yet to check it there.

Just checked the console and it's there now:

>> wallet_list_my_accounts

NAME (* delegate)                  KEY                                                             REGISTERED            FAVORITE       APPROVAL       BLOCK PRODUCTION ENABLED
jonathon.galtman                   BTSX58VnQ6Tb6S6GV1B6KwRVE9itjx1VXRiy1QJUmSU7jJ4nq9ZRbg          NO                    NO             0              N/A                     
the robots are generated from the hash of your username! so it should be the
same as before .. and as you havent' registered your early account and I guess
it was an empty one you are good to go with this one.. make a backup though!

you will have problems registering this account name as you would need to also own "galtman" in order to register "jonathon.galtman".
so either you register "galtman" too or you go for "jonathon-galtman".

Offline Thom

I just posted my account key in the thread xeroc mentioned, so I'll get registered soon.

I'm still puzzled though. I clicked the "Add Account" button and added the account name I used before. It displayed the same robot head image so I know it's the same. Good. But it is still not showing up under my accounts OR unregistered tab. I haven't gone to the console yet to check it there.

Just checked the console and it's there now:

NAME (* delegate)                  KEY                                                             REGISTERED            FAVORITE       APPROVAL       BLOCK PRODUCTION ENABLED
jonathon.galtman                   BTSX58VnQ6Tb6S6GV1B6KwRVE9itjx1VXRiy1QJUmSU7jJ4nq9ZRbg          NO                    NO             0              N/A                     
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 06:47:59 pm by Thom »

Offline Thom

Sorry for the delay, had to step out.

Sync has now completed. No accounts are listed. wallet_list_my_accounts & wallet_list_unregistered_accounts show nothing:

>> wallet_list_unregistered_accounts

NAME (* delegate)                  KEY                                                             REGISTERED            FAVORITE       APPROVAL       

On the left hand side of the status line, opposite of the connection status it says "Failure during transaction scanning".

Don't know what happened to the account name I entered but somewhere in all the crashes it appears to be lost. I'll now try to add it back in... Done. Now just need to get some shares so I can register it as xeroc wrote above.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 06:37:19 pm by Thom »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
1) I installed 0.4.13.
2) It prompted me to install an update so I did. I was confused by the msg as it said it could be done later.
3) I stopped the client and restarted it. 1st thing I did was check for updates. It said there were none.
4) I logged into client. No accounts are listed anywhere. No connection in lower right.
The update was installed automatically from within the wallet.

The connection status below is still buggy .. :-(

It was busy syncing when I switched back to the other account.
syncing and scanning for TITAN transactions takes some time .. in contrast to bitcoin you are on the full chain here

Why doesn't the account show up? Does it need to finish sync before I'll see it under the unregistered tab?
It only asked me for the account name once when I did the first install. I haven't seen it since, but them a complete sync has yet to be completed.

Usually not no .. got to the console .. type "wallet_list_my_accounts" and paste the output

//edit: dammnit .. too slow typing :)

Offline bytemaster

1) I installed 0.4.13.
2) It prompted me to install an update so I did. I was confused by the msg as it said it could be done later.
3) I stopped the client and restarted it. 1st thing I did was check for updates. It said there were none.
4) I logged into client. No accounts are listed anywhere. No connection in lower right.

Why doesn't the account show up? Does it need to finish sync before I'll see it under the unregistered tab?

It only asked me for the account name once when I did the first install. I haven't seen it since, but them a complete sync has yet to be completed.

Go to console and enter: "wallet_list_my_accounts" to see what the wallet really thinks. 

Did you have any balance in your account?
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Thom

1) I installed 0.4.13.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Thx xeroc! I stand corrected on the classification, and alpha is definitely more inline with my experience.

Should I start from scratch? I mean, do I wipe the disk & registry and install new version, what about the account name I used, will the new version pick it up?
no need to wipe anything .. should work right after a "reinstallation"

Offline Thom

Thx xeroc! I stand corrected on the classification, and alpha is definitely more inline with my experience.

Should I start from scratch? I mean, do I wipe the disk & registry and install new version, what about the account name I used, will the new version pick it up?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I created a brand new account to install the client, version 0.4.10.
Take the new version 0.4.13!

I provided a long sentence for password. First time it asked I provided an
account name, but it cannot be found anywhere in the gui since it asked. I
presumed that was b/c the blockchain sync was not complete.
You account should be listed under the 'unregistered' tab.
A long passphrase is good but it is not a brainwallet as it would be with NXT.
keep that in mind and make a backup of you wallet

Every time I start the client it says in the lower right corner it's catching
up, down to 4 days, 10 hrs from 52 days. 8 connections to bitShares network are
common. Last time I wrote down it had 408765 blocks out of 450391 blocks. The
client crashes so frequently now I decided to stop trying and seek help here.
We had several network/blockchain upgrades sind 0.4.10.. update to 0.4.13
This is still alpha software .. so expect some more updates to come

What should I do next? Is this typical of the state of the Windows client stability?
Client seems to be mostly stable afaik (non-windows here)

Get some free BTSX to register your account name:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=6439.new#new

I very well realize this is beta code and much remains to be done in it's
development, but am quite surprised at the poor experience I've had so far. Any
help will be greatly appreciated.
no beta code
it's alpha code!

Offline Thom

Newbie alert!

OK folks, I'm sure this must be dealt with somewhere on this forum but I can't seem to find where.

Trying to get the Windows client working but it crashes frequently. I'm no noob with computers, 3+ decades as a SW dev, mostly web dev.

Some basic info:

Windows 7 Home Prem, ASUS MB, AMD quad core CPU, 2.4Ghz, 8 GB DDR2 RAM, 2TB disk, 3Mbps Internet feed

I created a brand new account to install the client, version 0.4.10. I provided a long sentence for password. First time it asked I provided an account name, but it cannot be found anywhere in the gui since it asked. I presumed that was b/c the blockchain sync was not complete.

Every time I start the client it says in the lower right corner it's catching up, down to 4 days, 10 hrs from 52 days. 8 connections to bitShares network are common. Last time I wrote down it had 408765 blocks out of 450391 blocks. The client crashes so frequently now I decided to stop trying and seek help here.

What should I do next? Is this typical of the state of the Windows client stability?

I very well realize this is beta code and much remains to be done in it's development, but am quite surprised at the poor experience I've had so far. Any help will be greatly appreciated.