Author Topic: Submit/Vote on Questions: bitsharesx "Delegate Voice Hangout" 15-22 SEP 14  (Read 3902 times)

Offline fuzzy

My butt is sitting in here alone.  Let's get some info out to people!
That's odd .. :(
I can't participate and will be offline for the whole weekend .. so I can't even make it to the dev hangout this week .. have fun anyway!

Thinking about taking some of gamey's advice and putting a twist on it.
I will likely change it so I am on at different times for a few weeks...and do one delegate hangout at a time.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
That's odd .. :(
I can't participate and will be offline for the whole weekend .. so I can't even make it to the dev hangout this week .. have fun anyway!

Offline fuzzy

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
I'm going to talk about some ideas for the delegate platform I'd like to run. I finally found some time to set up my VPS last night. Feel free to join if you want to chat / listen / grill me.  ;)

awesome +5%

Offline fuzzy

Offline fuzzy

I just feel that perhaps the Chinese would be appreciative of some attempt to give them audio content and respond directly to their concerns.  A delegate funding this would be a nice way to do this, but it requires someone arranging the whole thing.

I don't even think you could hire a regular translator for a lot of the more technical aspects.  I don't know this, but it seems likely to be hard to translate the really technical things without knowing the area first ?

This is something I've been trying to bump up against personally in an attempt to try to bring them on.  I think it would be absolutely amazing to have the Chinese perspective. 

This is why I post in their board every hangout and have told some of the more active members they can always use the mumble server to start their own hangouts. I will continue outreach though :)

Offline robrigo

I'm going to talk about some ideas for the delegate platform I'd like to run. I finally found some time to set up my VPS last night. Feel free to join if you want to chat / listen / grill me.  ;)

Offline gamey

• View Profile

I just feel that perhaps the Chinese would be appreciative of some attempt to give them audio content and respond directly to their concerns.  A delegate funding this would be a nice way to do this, but it requires someone arranging the whole thing.

I don't even think you could hire a regular translator for a lot of the more technical aspects.  I don't know this, but it seems likely to be hard to translate the really technical things without knowing the area first ?
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline edilliam

Maybe we need an inter-community delegate. Someone who can use their pay to translate or who can organize translations.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Having a direct conversation with Chinese Delegates would be interesting.  I've always felt there is this weird divide because not many speak the other's language.  Chinese are so big in Bitshares. 

So there are some Chinese guys who work hard translating some stuff but since I don't know Mandarin I only have a vague idea who does it.  That is the best they get, translated English.  It is a very one way flow of information. 

It would be nice to get some of the audio stuff out to Chinese.  I am not sure the best way to do it, but inviting our Chinese friends to communicate with us would be a good start.

If we could find a Chinese translator who would actually vocally translate that'd be even more awesome and maybe appreciated by Chinese ?  They don't need to do it in real time either, so they can use audacity etc and take their time.  Seems like it would be a very hard task to translate all the stuff talked about, but just some of it would be a start.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 08:58:30 pm by gamey »
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline fuzzy

Offline fuzzy

Won't this unfairly favor fluent English speakers? What about our Chinese friends that may wish to be delegates? Will there be a way for non-English speaking delegates to answer the same questions but in text instead, so that they have the opportunity to translate it?

Edit: Great idea though! I don't want you to think my reply is negative...
It's a good point. If you translate some of the Chinese posts this feeling is already there. We need to find a way to include them.

The only issue is that I cannot speak mandarin.  I would realllly love to have someone from the chinese community who would do what I do on the server for the Eastern side of the world.  Maybe for this, someone could take up the torch and translate the Chinese Delegate's information?

Offline Riverhead

Won't this unfairly favor fluent English speakers? What about our Chinese friends that may wish to be delegates? Will there be a way for non-English speaking delegates to answer the same questions but in text instead, so that they have the opportunity to translate it?

It's a good point. If you translate some of the Chinese posts this feeling is already there. We need to find a way to include them.

Offline edilliam

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 02:37:27 am by edilliam »