Author Topic: Neither Dice nor Lottery are producing results  (Read 6513 times)

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Re: Neither Dice nor Lottery are producing results
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2014, 10:01:11 am »
Keep in mind a non compromised wallet stores an ENCRYPTED copy of your private keys. That's why you need to unlock your wallet with a good passphrase. It's effectively 2-Factor Authentication. They need both the .dat file AND your pass phrase for it to be useful.

Look, it's not a true 2-factor, unless it uses a separate device to decrypt. If there is a key-logger, it doesn't matter how strong your second password on top of the private key is. This is true for all crypto projects. It's scary full of amateur decisions.

Even the "non-hobby" projects like DNS and BTSX have that flaw. And as I mentioned a billion times, it is extremely easy to fix. Heck even Bytemaster mentioned somewhere he added it to the toolkit as method somewhere, but nobody is using it.

I don't think FT has stolen keys, if he did, he'd have more than just personal issues.

However in this day and age you can NEVER be sure what's running on your desktop. Given that it's a huge incentive, you know someone, somewhere will exploit the attack vector.

I would not import any keys until this issue is resolved. And I say that even for the existing DACs.

Sorry for the rant, but this is disaster in the makings. I hope I'm wrong, I really do.

+5%
  https://bitshares.OPENLEDGER.info/?r=GREECE  | You are in Control | BUY | SELL | SHORT | SWAP | LOAN | TRADE |  

Offline Riverhead

« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2014, 11:26:49 am »

Keep in mind a non compromised wallet stores an ENCRYPTED copy of your private keys. That's why you need to unlock your wallet with a good passphrase. It's effectively 2-Factor Authentication. They need both the .dat file AND your pass phrase for it to be useful.

Look, it's not a true 2-factor, unless it uses a separate device to decrypt.

I don't think FT has stolen keys,

Sorry for the rant, but this is disaster in the makings. I hope I'm wrong, I really do.

Agree on all points. Referring to it as 2FA was incorrect.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2014, 07:13:29 pm »
My view is that dev talent is scare and best redirected away from failed projects rather than throwing new effort at it.

I tried my best and ultimately failed.

What is more scarce than dev talent is groups of talented devs working together with an eye for future scaling and economic viability. There are plenty of rewarding projects if you move forward, learn DPoS and aim for Virginia Tech..  ;D

Offline barwizi

• Noirbits, NoirShares, NoirEx.....lol, noir anyone?
    • View Profile
    • Noirbitstalk.org
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2014, 04:32:29 pm »
I forked the lotto part and have integrated it into NoirShares. The first issue I'll point out is that after perusing LTS code, I have not seen anything that points to key theft.

Second, I think for a failed attempt this was good. I intend to keep trying on my fork. He has already done most of the work and pointed out the issues so if someone was really interested, they could continue the LTS chain.

Not sure if I am on the right track but I've already begun discussing ways around the forking issues. Since NRS already uses a seperate random seeding method to randomize PoW , perhaps it can work dual purpose and maybe function with the lotto.

I say let Freetrade go and focus on something else, people love to point at him in a dark light but has anyone ever really considered the amount of innovation he does? I follow his work, I can tell you , he does not deserve any of this negativity.

And on that note, I see no reason why a developer must be tied to a project, if they feel they should move on , it is their choice. Apart from the PoW, keep in mind that these were basically free shares.
--Bar--  PiNEJGUv4AZVZkLuF6hV4xwbYTRp5etWWJ

The magical land of crypto, no freebies people.

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2014, 04:56:01 pm »
The PoW was merged mining anyways

Offline kanes

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2014, 11:58:34 am »
Is the coin dead?

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
Please vote for my BitShares witness "cyrano" and for my STEEM witness "cyrano.witness"!
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de